News:

• May 07, 2024, 07:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage Stearman  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Dave Haught

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Vintage Stearman
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:33:47 PM »
Does anyone know about a Stearman plan from the '40's with the name "Sammy Mason" on the fuselage? I used to  have the magazine but like my hair it's vanished.

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Vintage Stearman
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »
Dave,
Was he the guy who had his name inverted on one side of the fuse'?
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Dave Haught

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:14:46 PM »
Yes, what I can recall was checkerboard trims, name upright and upside down. I also recall it was stunt worthy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »
J.C. Yates prepared plans for the Stearman PT-17 around 1947.  Bob Palmer built a model from those plans and Bob entered it in CL Scale at the 1948 Olathe Nats.  That was about the time that Bob had injured his hand.  J.C. Yates flew the model as a "team scale" entry and they won that event.  The model was finished in the version flown by Sammy Mason with checkerboard on the top of both wings, horizontal and vertical tails.

The construction article by J.C. Yates was published in the April 1950 issue of air Trails.  41" span.  Plans are available from the AMA Plans Service.

Keith

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:08:50 PM »
That model is still around.  I don't remember who, but someone was actually trying to sell it a few years ago.  I think it was on the SS forum.  I am sure a quick search there wouldd turn it up.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Dave Haught

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:22:43 PM »
Thanks! As soon as it cools off enough in my garage I can start looking for the magazine, we had our first 100 degree day here in AZ! Still not used to it, my dope dries out in the brush! I've always wanted to build the Stearman-my dad built it back in the '50's. Just have to finish my profile ultimate bipe, then it's back to real airplanes-two (straight) wings, round engines!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Thanks! As soon as it cools off enough in my garage I can start looking for the magazine, we had our first 100 degree day here in AZ! Still not used to it, my dope dries out in the brush! I've always wanted to build the Stearman-my dad built it back in the '50's. Just have to finish my profile ultimate bipe, then it's back to real airplanes-two (straight) wings, round engines!
It's raining here.  It rained here yesterday.  It'll be raining here tomorrow.  It rained two days ago.  It'll be raining two days from now.  If I'm lucky the rain and wind will stop before the meet in Eugene next weekend.  If I'm really lucky it'll stop before Wednesday (the bonus flying day for folks not on a firm schedule at our club) and I'll get some flights in.

Or maybe not.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave Haught

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:29:16 AM »
I did college time in Portland back in the early 80's, used to fly at Delta park as I recall. When it wasn't raining it was blowing!

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 06:59:28 AM »

""It's raining here.  It rained here yesterday.  It'll be raining here tomorrow.  It rained two days ago.  It'll be raining two days from now.""

Portland ????,  I thought you must be here in Erie..........

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 02:58:22 PM »

Dave,

If you are just interested in building a Stearman, and if it does not need to be that J.C. Yates design from the 1950 Air Trails, Don Hutchinson designed a beautiful version of the Stearman in the October 2000 issue of Flying Models.  This is a scale airplane, 44 1/2 inch span, 590 sq in area.  Build light, it is capable of a competitive CL stunt pattern.  Outstanding plans.  Outstanding design.  If you are a Stearman fan, this will not disappoint.

Offline Dave Haught

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:00:54 AM »
Great!  I'll look it up and see if I have the FM. Haven't had the best of luck with FM, last two times I subscribed it never came and the back issues I ordered never arrived. Too bad, it was a fave for many years. No response to my queries either. Is this the one in Stunt News included in the flap area article? I do plan on building a version with the Sammy Mason lettering and colors-quite bright, but the better stunt layout will be the one I build. The Yates plan is on its way from MA so I can begin planning-too hot to build in my garage right now  :(

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »
As Keith said, the Don Hutchinson 44" span version is a winner!  Here's a photo of one in flight.  He has also built & finished at least one of these in the Sammy Mason livery.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here