News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:47:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4 bladed props  (Read 638 times)

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
4 bladed props
« on: October 12, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
Does anyone have a source for 4 bladed props for 1/2a sized engines.  (I was torn as to where to post this but its for a scale project so I figured the scale fourm would be best.)  I need at least 4 but would prefer to have some spares as well.  you guys will never guess what plane Im going to build.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 4 bladed props
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
Most scale contest allow show props and flying props. Make 4 bladed props from 2 each 2 bladed props by notching the hubs. Or carve your own.  Fly with 2 bladed props.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:46:02 PM »
i cannot say i've seen any 4 blade props for 1/2 A but if you know how to mold a prop i can tell you how to make a perfect blank to mold from.

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:00:57 PM »
Hi Jeffrey,
I have made four bladed flying props for 1/2 A's by half lapping two two bladed props. Notch the hubs out so they slide together. Then epoxy them together. I would use a bolt in the center of a flat plate jig and draw some lines that will accurately index the blades so the are 90 degrees apart. They need to be about 5 inch diameter and 3 inch pitch or less to be able to let the usual 1/2 A turn them at a useful rpm.
Chris...

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »
if you are still looking for 4 bladed 1/2A props .i have 7/2 carbon 4 bladed props for go or show.
rad racer

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
I have one on  e bay right now. Wen mac 5/3 4 blade. I also have 2 more for future e bay sales.

SOLD H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^ H^^

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:04:40 AM by Dick Byron »

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Hi Jeffrey,
I have made four bladed flying props for 1/2 A's by half lapping two two bladed props. Notch the hubs out so they slide together. Then epoxy them together. I would use a bolt in the center of a flat plate jig and draw some lines that will accurately index the blades so the are 90 degrees apart. They need to be about 5 inch diameter and 3 inch pitch or less to be able to let the usual 1/2 A turn them at a useful rpm.
Chris...

Chris,

I have not made 4-blade props for the 1/2A's  --  BUT  --  I have tried it for larger engines.  I took 10" diameter props and notched them so they would fit together.  The fit was good.  I used good epoxy to put them together.  The first time I ran one on a test stand, it shed a plade.  The failure was along a grain line that was at the notch.  Unless you anchor each blade with bolts through each blade to a metal back plate, your are courting disaster, even with the smaller props.

The solution to this is make up a display prop with however many blades are needed for scale, then fly with the two blade prop that is appropriate for the engine.  There is no penalty in scale points of flight points to do this.

Keith

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »
Hi Keith,
I should have mentioned that I made them with Tornado black nylon 5x3 props and they didn't turn very high rpm, probably 12,000 rpm max.

Zinger makes a nice four blade system with a central hub to which wood blades are bolted. Dave Passannante uses his on a Hangar 9 80" Mustang with a Moki 2.10 for R/C flying and it is a real nice.

I don't know about the availability of a smaller prop system though.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here