News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific Beechcraft Staggerwing from the 2011 Brodak to the 2012  (Read 665 times)

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mission accomplished!  I got it as a botched, and barely-started assembly job last year and flew it this year. It's about 80% the actual 1949 kit and 20% replacement parts. There was some alteration and revision to make it like Mrs Olive Beech's personal ride.

The paint masks were contributed by Charles (Avaiojet) of this forum. It employs a Joe Just stacked Fox bellcrank won in his carrier postal. The single test flight and two officials all went off perfectly with no adjustment needed.

That's John Brodak and Jack Sheeks at the static judging and some of the heavyweight (12-to-18 pound) competition.

I  believe that's Ed Mason getting his whole body in action vs the C-124.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:06:12 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Scientific Beechcraft Staggerwing from the 2011 Brodak to the 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »
I guess you were happy with the little plane.   How did you score overall? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 06:39:09 AM »
There was a "front pack" of big planes (10-to-18 pounders) that had me by 14 static points.  
(This is a revision: after closer review it was found that the scorekeeper had transposed some of the static & flight scores on the big board, but the totals and order of finish were OK).

I was in a close third-or-fourth place battle, which I pulled out with a really good second flight.  

After round one it was obvious that 1-2 and 3-4 could be flipped with a good second effort.  The guys went to the max and ultimately both the C-124 and the AT-6 overextended themselves and took some damage.  

My two-pounder only gave up 4 flight points vs first & second place.  The landing gear is totally rigid and most of the lost points were due to "clatterly" landings.  Also, my high flight is a bit marginal, but I'm not alone,
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:57:58 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
WTG Paul!

So can you narrow the gap on those 22 static points?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I should be able to do some with rigging and details.  Probably not all.  The big guys did a lot of work to earn their points.

I was able to get back 6 points just by checking the math.  Now it's only 14.  The totals were OK.  Some of the numbers were flipped when they copied them onto the big board.

I now have five fully flyable CL biplanes.

I might be better off using the Beech for fun scale.  I expect to get most of the 10 scale points in that event.  It was sort of a lark to take one crack at The Big One.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:01:28 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
It is hard for a small plane to compete in sport scale, the big ones are a better canvass for the detail judges love, but your Beechcraft flies very well for its size, quite impressive overall.

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »
Thank you very much.

I want to compliment the judges for giving me a fair shake.  There's nothing in the rules that says "big is better" and they gave all the models what they earned regardless of size.

As you say, you can put a lot more detail into an 7-foot model than a 2-footer.  In addition to the time and money to build the thing and the race car trailer to haul it, a big model has a lot more opportunity to make mistakes that lead to downgrades.  On the upside, a big plane gives the fine craftsman more opportunity to excel.

Another observation:  In Sport Scale there's no "complexity bonus", but all the top models were either multiengine or biplanes.  No Piper Cubs here.

On the other hand, Profile was very closely fought battle among single engine fighters of equal size and power.  LA-5, Bearcat, Mig-3, and Corsair, all high and close static points, duking it out in the air.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here