News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:20:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1st Flight on Brodak 57" Cosmic Wind  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1st Flight on Brodak 57" Cosmic Wind
« on: November 23, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »
Today I had a 1st flight on a Brodak Cosmic Wind  57.5 "WS(Kit CLB-101). The plane is electric powered. Motor is the Arrowind 3526-05 Kv685. ESC is Castle Edge Lite 50. As far as the battery went I used what I had on hand a 4S 2700 25C.The RTF weight was 6lbs6oz. I controlled the throttle using a Hitech Rx and Tx 2.4. The prop was a Zinger 13x6. I used what I had on hand for lines, .018 lines at 65' center to center with an old EZ Just large handle.

Got out to the field late in the afternoon with sun directly in your eyes,temperatures in the 30s (it's cold dammit!) After setting neutral in the handle I was ready to go.

I decided that it was probably best to take off at full throttle with a pal holding her for launch.

She took off very nicely but after a few laps I noticed she was "hunting" a bit in level flight.The speed of the plane felt "just right" not too fast with power for climbing. I thought that when I cut the throttle she would fall like a stone, but she comfortably cruised at 1/2 throttle. I eased off the throttle for landing and she settled in very nicely. I'll keep you posted with some pics and more flight reports.....PhillySkip

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: 1st Flight on Brodak 57" Cosmic Wind
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 07:00:34 AM »
I always test fly with a slow ramp up to full throttle. In fact I do several slow and fast taxi laps until I know how the model will handle on the ground before I get airborne. Glad to hear the test flight went well

How did you hang on to the transmitter? did you use a transmitter tray, the neck strap or the belt clip?

The pitch sensitivity and hunting is usually due to the CG being too far aft

If you near St Louis we have our CL scale contest on Sept 15 in 2018

Fred

https://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/lafayette-esquadrille-cl/control-line-contest-st-louis/control-line-stunt-pampa-scale-broken-arrow-st-louis/
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »
Fred I simply held the Tx in my left hand and operated the throttle with my thumb. I'll add more lead to the nose to see if that helps with the hunting.Thanks for the invite,but don't think i can get out to St Louis .I will try to get it to Brodaks though. If the weather is nice tomorrow I'll get in a few more test flights.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
Got in two more test flights today. Used a larger battery (more nose weight) and the hunting all but went away. Slow flight and landings were a breeze. Go to PhillyFliers FB page for some video action. Attached are a couple of photos taken at the field .That's me with Old Time Stunt Champ Danny Banjock

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:05:49 PM »
glad to hear the hunting is gone, have you considered coming to the Nats in July? Model looks great.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Thanks for the compliment,it's tough to do Brodaks and then the Nats,but we'll see. I'm not happy with the finish on the plane and now that I see it's a decent flyer I'll probably refinish it in metallic green as a " Minnow" version.
It's a pleasure to take off and land. Check out the PhillyFlier FB stuff......Cheers,Skip

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »
facebook video looks good, in competition you will want to sit in one position with the engine at idle and then throttle up to full power to get maximum points on the takeoff run. But to be fair the formula one racing planes did a race horse start but they all had throttle control during takeoff. The judges will be expecting to see a throttled takeoff from idle even though is a formula one race plane. I looks likes it tracks well.

Pick your options before you get to the Brodak contest and practice the flight before you get there. Throttle control can be listed as an option.

The single engine airplanes without flaps typically do these options, and remember to put together a documentation package

1) Touch
2) Go
3) 45 degree flight
4) Missed approach
5) Taxi
6) throttle control

Looking good
Fred

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
Thanks Fred for the info. Not shown in the video are a few take offs from "idle" which were easy peasy. In fact, it is very easy to take off and land with precision.I like the slow flight characteristics. She's very stable.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 09:08:53 PM »
  When competing in the time period of the Cosmic Wind, it was common to have some one holding the plan back at the tail since these things hd such tiny wheels and brakes. They would have the thottle wide open until the flag dropped. I ALWAYS wanted to be that guy! I got to sort of do that when I got to crew Chris McMillin's Pitts Special when he flew Sport Biplane at the 1999 Reno Air Races. They have a race horse start by rows 3 or 4 across, at 10 second intervals. They are allowed to have some one hold the tail of the airplane down while doing run ups and while idling to help keep the brakes from heating up, until one minute before the lag drops for the first race. I got to be THAT guy and and it was the the first of two times in my life I served as professional dead weight! I'll tell you about the other one some time!. I am forever grateful to Chris for arranging for me to crew his airplane that weekend.  It fulfilled one of my childhood dreams, to work on airplanes in the pits at Reno!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 05:38:18 AM »
Skip,

Nice looking model.  H^^

Looks like the hunting was a CG issue seeing the added weight in the nose was the fix.

6lb 6oz. What does the model weigh without the motor, battery and all the stuff that goes with it?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
facebook video looks good, in competition you will want to sit in one position with the engine at idle and then throttle up to full power to get maximum points on the takeoff run. But to be fair the formula one racing planes did a race horse start but they all had throttle control during takeoff. The judges will be expecting to see a throttled takeoff from idle even though is a formula one race plane. I looks likes it tracks well.

Pick your options before you get to the Brodak contest and practice the flight before you get there. Throttle control can be listed as an option.

The single engine airplanes without flaps typically do these options, and remember to put together a documentation package

1) Touch
2) Go
3) 45 degree flight
4) Missed approach
5) Taxi
6) throttle control

Looking good
Fred

Fred

Realistic or not, WWI fighters & some racers didn't have brakes or even throttles, but dead stop before takeoff and after landing is required to get full marks.
Lots of planes couldn't taxi, but rather just cut the engine & bounced to a stop.  The taxi lap and smooth landing are still part of the game.

Is a fighter or aerobatic plane that can't do aerobatics "realistic"?

Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »
Fantastic Skip! Glad to see it working and flying so well!
Chris...

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »
It was fun. I'd never flown a control line "scale" model. The use of the hand held Tx instead of dealing with 3 lines made it easy. I've got to get a few battery packs so I can get out there and really do some flying. During all flights I was using packs I had borrowed from some of the R/C guys at the field. I'm certain that this plane would fly great on a large Glow mill controlling the throttle with a servo,Rx and small battery instead of an ESC. As you can see in the photos I let Banjock fly it as well. He liked it,but thought it could use a slightly smaller handle........PhillySkip

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
this is video of my B-29 that I fly in Profile scale, the first part shows video from the model itself and then from outside the circle. The paved circle makes it easy for the taxi and takeoff and landings. And now that it's had the cracks filled and sealed I can't blame any bad landings on the circle anymore. The judges look for takeoffs that match the aircraft type, I have enough power on this model that I could be airborne in a 1/4 of a lap but I extend the takeoff run to almost a full lap to match what a real B-29 does, it has a long long take off run and then climbs out very slowly in real life with the full size.

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing,very nice video!

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
From the beginning, the rule book for the 190 cu. in. class has had a requirement that the planes be able taxi under their own power. When not racing these planes are flown like any other plane with conventional landing gear.

But, if you were so inclined, there is an escape clause in the Scale Rules that could be used to demonstrate a racing launch, with your ground crew holding on to the tail for dear life...

9.9. Flight Maneuvers/Scale Operations Not in 9.6, 9.7 or 9.8.
A contestant may elect to perform flight maneuvers or scale operations not listed in this document, but only if they are within the capabilities of the aircraft. The contestant should be prepared to convince the judges that the choice was typical of the aircraft. The contestant should submit a written, graphic and/or video description of the maneuver or scale operation to the judges during the registration for approval, and also the preflight meeting.
Maneuver examples not listed might be in flight tail wag (rudder), vertical takeoff, hover and/or backwards flight for a VTO type aircraft, such as a Convair XFY-1 Pogo, tail slide for an acrobatic aircraft, a high speed buzz the field for any aircraft, a forest fire water drop, or wing-wag with ailerons. Scale Operations might be cockpit canopy close-open, braking demonstration before takeoff, drag chute on landing, or carrier model wing folding and unfolding.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
Watching the video makes me think I will have to pull the 109 out of the rafters and clean it up.  It has only been in one contest and think I could have placed if the engine shut down worked.  But I was having fun. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
Yo Doc,you got a picture of the 109? BTW I was digging thru some of my old Century Jet retract stuff and found a business card with your name on it....also I've got a Brodak Olympic kit here with your name on the "return" address........Looks like we've got some kind of weird long distance relationship going on here.....not that there is anything wrong with that!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
How did you get that?   I've lost count of how long ago I got rid of that kit.   Just looked at the 109 up in the rafters and I have the radio for throttle control.   Probably have to soak the old Fox 40 to get it running again.

And Fred watched the video again of the B-29.   Might have to convert Hutches B-25 even though it has stunt air foil.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here