News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ever build and fly one of these?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Ever build and fly one of these?
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:58:16 AM »
I'll do anything for attention.

Well, not really, but I am considering attempting this build. I actually started drawing plans for an R/C model about ten years ago.

For those "few" interested, I just scaled my drawings down to a smaller model size for CL. Now at 4.5" in span, I have an overall length of 52".

Yes, I know I could go "profile." But this model deserves much better than that.

What will make or brake the look of this model, is the wheels. The wheels have to look correct, fat spokes and all. Not the easist task. Suggestions?

If I can solve the wheel issue, I'll continue with drawing designs that will render a flying model. Hopefully?

The wheel size is 6".

Charles.
Owner of CFC Graphics.
"Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder."
51 years of modeling!

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Ever build and fly one of these?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:00:46 AM »
If you're that determined you could make the wheels from scratch, from good hard balsa.  If I'm not mistaken those old wooden car wheels were basically wagon wheels -- complete with shrunk-on rim -- to which a rim with tires was bolted.  Wheelwrights used to do the job almost entirely with hand tools, with the exception of a primitive lathe to turn the hub.

I think you'd run into all kinds of aerodynamic problems -- that's definitely a "fantasy flier", I suspect that turbulence off of the car body would overwhelm any aerodynamic effects from the wings, unless you did go profile.

But it's your call -- and it'd be cool if it works!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:10:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I honestly didn't expect any.

Yes, aerodynamics is an issue. Especially the front fenders. I do have thought about that.

With all the work involved in a project like this, I'd rather not scratch  the wheels. I'd rather alter something available.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
You do understand that this is just for fun and not scale competition.  No such real aircraft ever flew.   Their is a ton of Holywood stuff that would be fun to build but is not legal.

Having said all that can this thing in any way fly.  It would have to be in the Snoopy Dog house mod class to actually fly.

n~  n~    LL~    H^^

John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »
What are you talking about?

I saw this fly in a movie! They made it out of a car! It actually flew! You would have to see the movie to know this.

About being suitable for competition. I have absolutely no interest in competition. Fine with those that do, but that's not my interest.

I only entered one model in competition. It was a WRAM show in the 80's. I took best finish with this model.

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:49:01 AM »
What are you talking about?

I saw this fly in a movie! They made it out of a car! It actually flew! You would have to see the movie to know this.

About being suitable for competition. I have absolutely no interest in competition. Fine with those that do, but that's not my interest.

I only entered one model in competition. It was a WRAM show in the 80's. I took best finish with this model.

All us children need a willingness to be deceived to enjoy a good movie.  Like I say GO FOR IT.  Post lots of pictures!!!

~>   #^   y1   H^^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 01:44:05 PM »
Hi,  Interesting project.  A thought to increase lift area is to cover a larger surface area in clear and painted the cars wings on. Inside the car body could be an airfoil secrion for addition lift , seeing as a nice grill is in front of the car. Just a thought.  :! Mike
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:14:45 AM by Michael Boucher »
AMA 59633

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
Mike,

Great suggestions.

Could you provide an engineered drawing of that?  ;D

Charles

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
Of course if you put a propellor anywhere but out on the wings like the car has your dead in the water. So are you going to utilize some hli parts and have a working head in each of them. Probably so otherwise you wouldnt be able to have forward and reverse flight. Oh and just think of the points for hovering you will get. The possibilities are endless  LOL  H^^  H^^

I forgot that you would probably need some form of anti torque device as in tail rotor and probably a gyro to stabilize the thing.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »
With all the work involved in a project like this, I'd rather not scratch  the wheels. I'd rather alter something available.
I always start with the absurdly complex and eventually work down from there.

Cut the wheels out of plywood, and paint the tires on?  I don't know where you'd get bright red plywood, but I'm sure you'll find it if you look hard enough.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 11:38:07 AM »
HI Charles,

Build it and post pictures!  I think it would be a blast to see that fly, and it can in C/L.  Have you seen Sparky's flying toilet seat?  As long as all you want to do is get off the ground and have some control (in other words you ain't flying a pattern and want to enter Open CLPA at the NATS! LOL!!) you can fly about any darn thing with strings attached. LL~ LL~

You can fudge the wing rotors ala an autogyro.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »
You do understand that this is just for fun and not scale competition.  No such real aircraft ever flew.   Their is a ton of Holywood stuff that would be fun to build but is not legal.
I want a "Hollywood Scale" class  All the same rules as stand-off scale, except the subject has to be from a movie or a comic book and has to have been portrayed as actually flying (in other words, in the "world" of the particular story it has to be legal for scale).

Grommit's flying sidecar (From Wallace and Gromit: A Close Shave) is on my "to do" list, and should be a very nice flier in CL.
AMA 64232

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
If the car body is hollow, then an electric ducted fan unit would be ideal. If you go that route then you need one of Clancy Arnold's handles, so you would have variable throttle, not to mention headlights horn, etc.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
There's a prop in back, you can see it if you look closely.

I think a hollow car body would be a good idea -- it'd contribute markedly to lift, and both drag and turbulence would go down.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
All good ideas and I'll keep them in mind.

The car body doesn't have to have air going through it.This isn't necessary for lift. There's enough squares for that.

The auto gyro thing, I was going to leave them off? Those things are free spinning anyway. I think?

As I speak, I'm working on wheels. The wheels have to be close to the correct look. As does the entire model. I'm using this wheel as a base or a start.

If anyone is interested in building a "Chitty" let me know now.

BTW. I flew a toilet seat in 1962.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »
Were I to make the body hollow it would be more to avoid turbulence and it's related control problems than anything else.  Lift & drag can be dealt with by using a honking big engine.  Turbulence off the body that blanks the control surface, or that adds torques to the plane that overwhelm the authority of the control surface -- that's a problem.

Lift increase and drag reduction would just be a bonus.
AMA 64232

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 04:35:09 PM »
Hanna Montana, "Say what?"

The body will be hollow but air will not pass through it. Framework then sheeted.

Charles.

Here's the wheel. 6.5"

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »
Sorry -- make the body in an inverted "U" shape, i.e. no radiator, and leave the deck lid area open.  Hope that it reduces turbulence.

Or, if you make it the regular way and it works fine, more power to you!
AMA 64232

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »
Craft stores have wooden wheels that are an exact copy of the ones on the car.  The center is 1/4" but that can be filled and re-drilled.

Larrt

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
Larry,

I just sent you an Email asking what craft shop carries a wheel like what I need.

Could I be that lucky?

Charles

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
Larry,

I just sent you an Email asking what craft shop carries a wheel like what I need.

Could I be that lucky?

Charles

HI Charles,

I really like the thought processes you are using on this.  y1

I *think* I have seen the wheels Larry mentioned in Michael's.  Or at Hayes Hobby House in Fayetteville in the craft section.  Good Luck!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here