News:

• May 13, 2024, 09:24:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beechcraft 18 build! Deal with it or scrap it?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Beechcraft 18 build! Deal with it or scrap it?
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »
If anyone has seen Jim's build of his great Beechcraft 45, I gotta tell ya, he's doing a great job. Where are you Jim, bring us up to date. please, more photos and text of that fine model.

I told Jim I had a bead on an old Beech 18 kit. Generally, I don't purchase models, but this great guy sent me this model just this week. Actually, we talked about it for months, thing is, the wings were built into the model as one piece and he didn't want to cut it up.

Finally, I convinced Larry to cut the thing up so it would fit in a box.

It's the Eureka Hobby's kit which I started a Thread on, attempting to get info on the Manufacturer. I'm happy with the info I received. Guys do know stuff that's for sure.

Well here it is. Yes I know.

It did look a bit better covered with Econokote, until you turned it over. Guy covers the top of the wings and the fuselage with Econokote, and the bottoms aren't sheeted yet. Go figure.

Anyway, yes, I'll make a lady out of it. Will take a bit of doing but I'll give it a shot.

Keep this photo in mind as the build progresses. Wait a minute, you'd be better off forgetting what this photo looks like.  ;D

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
Re: Beechcraft 18 build! Deal with it or scrap it?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »
CB:

Wow, you have a job ahead of you. I probably am not a good person to consult on the project. I like to build airplanes, but I hate to repair them. It might be a good thing that the previous owner has not sheeted the bottoms of the wings. You will need to be able to install leadouts and bellcrank and being unsheeted might help. I found that the wings had more than enough dihedral to allow the leadouts exit the bottom of the wing near the tip.

What is the wingspan of your model? How are you going to power it? Are you going to build it for scale? If so, maybe you should collect your scale detail first. I have spent eons collecting detail for subjects that I have chosen to build. It can take time.

As for more details and photos of my C45, I think I am going to wait (month or so) until I have more done so that it makes the post more interesting. The post is getting quite long now and my concern is that the guys won't bother opening it if it gets too cumbersome.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:46:25 AM »
Wow, you have a job ahead of you. I probably am not a good person to consult on the project. I like to build airplanes, but I hate to repair them. It might be a good thing that the previous owner has not sheeted the bottoms of the wings. You will need to be able to install leadouts and bellcrank and being unsheeted might help. I found that the wings had more than enough dihedral to allow the leadouts exit the bottom of the wing near the tip.

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know it's a hand full. I'm a bottom feeder, to me it's a Jewell. Yes, I'll bring the lines underneath the tip.

What is the wingspan of your model? How are you going to power it? Are you going to build it for scale? If so, maybe you should collect your scale detail first. I have spent eons collecting detail for subjects that I have chosen to build. It can take time.

54" in span, GMS .25's 2S nitro engines. I know your model will be electric, but I don't have the $$ to go there yet. I'll build scale, but "playful" scale. I have material, photos and drawings. Some of which go back years.

As for more details and photos of my C45, I think I am going to wait (month or so) until I have more done so that it makes the post more interesting. The post is getting quite long now and my concern is that the guys won't bother opening it if it gets too cumbersome.

Yes, they run away  quick, if it's not something of their interest.

Possibly Post "pinups" between the build photos?   n~

CB

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
Scale or not, I enjoy rebuilds and most repairs. Nothing like a challenge. I have done over 12 in the last 13 years, and only tossed three as lost causes.  Keep the photos coming. H^^

Ty,

The model didn't have a great life, that's obvious from the photo. Passed around and discarded many times. Probably talked about but never cared about. Most likely kept in the darkest corners of cluttered garages, not a place to keep a fine model of this stature.

A second chance? Sure, everyone deserves a second chance, just like this model does.

You know, you, don't through a whole life away, just because he's banged up little.

CB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:45:43 AM »
We learned on the models we built.

Hopefully, they improved each time.

CB

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 05:37:16 PM »

Believe it or not, I've made some progress on my Beech 18.

Well, not actually on the model itself, but on drawing paper. Yes, I had much to draw.

Quite a change from what one would recognize as a Beech 18. A photo is worth a thousand words, so I decided to Post a photo of the aircraft I'll modeling. No, I won't change my mind.

CB

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »
Tradewinds were always kinda weird. Some of them were stretched very long front and rear of the wing, too. And then there were the turbines.

I used to fly Beech 18's in 3 different night freight operators and flew about 10 different airplanes, but they were all taildraggers and were D-18, E-18 and G-18 models. One operator had two high cabin, taildragger Beeches with P&W PT-6's, they were Westwind conversions from Tucson.

Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »
Tradewinds were always kinda weird. Some of them were stretched very long front and rear of the wing, too. And then there were the turbines.

I used to fly Beech 18's in 3 different night freight operators and flew about 10 different airplanes, but they were all taildraggers and were D-18, E-18 and G-18 models. One operator had two high cabin, taildragger Beeches with P&W PT-6's, they were Westwind conversions from Tucson.Chris...

Chris,

Thanks for that info and the reply.

You're correct about the stretched Beech. here's a photo of one that I considered. Tradewinds just looks nice. I like the colors.

I have no time in a Beech 18, I did get to sit in the right Seat once, when the pilot did a run up. That's shaky!

This guy flew cargo back and forth to the Islands operating out of WPB, early 90's. Asked me to tag along, I had twin time, but I declined. I didn't have the confidence he had.

Here's the stretched Beech 18.

CB

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for the comprehensive details of the D18.

We had an outfit that flew out of Parks Bi-State airport that bought up 15 or 20 variations to fly airmail routes that were offered in the late '60s and early 70s. I got a little right seat time, but not enough to say that I could really fly the beast. I have a spot in my heart for the 18s.

I had never seen the Tradewinds conversion. That is a nice looking airplane.

The stretch version is more like the original but with the Constellation tail. That one is new to me also. Very intersting for sure.

Thanks guys for this interesting part of D18 history.

Didn't someone have a CL stunt version of the D18 ?

AMA 7544

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for drooping in!

Yes, I had an Op. with a Beech 18 and turned it down. Freeport to WPB. Sure only 40 mi. in each direction but.

I had my little Beech 18 on my bench just last night. I do have my work cut out for me with this fixer-upper.

Tempted to just toss the thing, but I paid high for the pile of parts, up above, in that photo.

CB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here