News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:49:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TEXACO 13 Semi-Scale Build!! Real slow build.  (Read 12072 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: TEXACO 13 Semi-Scale Build!! Real slow build.
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
Two layers of silk and Deft Wood Lacquer Sealer slopped on, finger rub, and the wing halves are good to go.

Dried with my heat gun. Minutes.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2021, 06:00:42 AM »
progressing fast, lovely plane Charles!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2021, 10:30:01 AM »
progressing fast, lovely plane Charles!

Fred,

Thank you. I'm currently working on the bell crank mount.

I'm deciding if I should have a removable wing, R/C style??

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2021, 10:57:23 AM »
Poor quality cowling photos from plans.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »
I try to use masking tape or elastic bands before gluing parts. Just to be sure.

I'm thinking 1 degree incidence for the wing and 1 degree fuselage offset.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2021, 07:22:10 AM »
Bell cranks! Why does there have to be bell cranks.

I really hate installing these things, especially when the height is just about the same as the horn.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »
Bell cranks! Why does there have to be bell cranks.

I really hate installing these things, especially when the height is just about the same as the horn.
To crank the bells.  What other reason could there be? ???

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
I'll be in Florida for six days so progress will stop on the TEXACO 13. Bummer! ;D

However, I have managed to align and glue the fuselage in place. I did a stab opening for later after some sheeting is applied. Elevator horn worked out for me after all thanks to Perry's photo.

Lots of work building scale models from scratch.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2021, 07:22:34 AM »
No motor mount in the above photos. I just epoxied the motor mount this morning.

Photo at 11.00.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2021, 05:52:11 AM »
No motor mount in the above photos. I just epoxied the motor mount this morning.

Photo at 11.00.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »
Scale isn't quick.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2021, 01:53:54 PM »
I put the bell crank in place permanently. It's not really neat, so no photo. ;D

On a more colorful note, it's time to consider graphics. Callie? Yes, I'm kidding.  LL~

Not much on line at the resolution I need to make me happy. Stickers are available but not in the size I need.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2021, 08:55:06 AM »
Gotta be careful not to damage anything. Just another thing to fix.

I hate lead outs not hidden in the wing.

Charles

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2022, 08:45:42 AM »
Nice work Charles.👍

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2022, 04:26:14 PM »
Nice work Charles.👍

Thank you.

You do nice work also.

I hope I put the bell crank in there before I sheeted?  n~

Former lineup. As long as I'm within a half inch.

I hate doing tail wheels. I always wonder if they are strong enough.

Charles

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2022, 11:01:41 PM »
What will you power this with?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:50:55 PM by kevin king »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2022, 12:04:57 PM »
What will you power this with?

Kevin,

It'll be electric although it's built where it could be IC also.

I was going to go Badass, 3520 790, I believe the numbers are.

But still looking.

Charles

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2022, 03:56:05 PM »
Kevin,

It'll be electric although it's built where it could be IC also.

I was going to go Badass, 3520 790, I believe the numbers are.

But still looking.

Charles
Charles, that is a lot of motor for that small a plane but you probably need the weight.  I think the 35xx series has three maybe 4 sizes.  you might want to wait and get the one that is the right length unless you have already measured.  A bunch of us here are using the smaller 3515-710.

Glad to see you building again - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2022, 04:49:57 PM »
Charles, that is a lot of motor for that small a plane but you probably need the weight.  I think the 35xx series has three maybe 4 sizes.  you might want to wait and get the one that is the right length unless you have already measured.  A bunch of us here are using the smaller 3515-710.

Glad to see you building again - Ken

Ken,

Thank you for your thoughts and for sharing information. It's appreciated.

Here's the thing as you noticed, short nose moment, and a 7" diameter round cowling. I'd like to turn a 13" prop so the model appears to be more scale. I'm told the 3520 will do this with no issues. Fits nicely also because it's offered with a extra long shaft. I'll need an extension for the prop thrust line.

It is a scale model but it has a stunt Smoothie wing. So it won't be just flying level.

7" cowling or not, limited space for the onboard stuff. A 2200 pack will fit vertical behind the firewall which will work well with the 3520.

The Badass stuff is badass expensive. This is why I'm looking and considering advice.

Thanks again.

Charles

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2022, 08:01:16 PM »
Ken,

Thank you for your thoughts and for sharing information. It's appreciated.

Here's the thing as you noticed, short nose moment, and a 7" diameter round cowling. I'd like to turn a 13" prop so the model appears to be more scale. I'm told the 3520 will do this with no issues. Fits nicely also because it's offered with a extra long shaft. I'll need an extension for the prop thrust line.

It is a scale model but it has a stunt Smoothie wing. So it won't be just flying level.

7" cowling or not, limited space for the onboard stuff. A 2200 pack will fit vertical behind the firewall which will work well with the 3520.

The Badass stuff is badass expensive. This is why I'm looking and considering advice.

Thanks again.

Charles
Only thing cheaper that I would use is a 3520 Cobra.  Not that much though.  They have prop charts that include lots of 13-15" props so you should be fine.  If you are not going to compete with it in PA which is probably beyond the planes capability anyway, save money on the timer.  A Hubin would work fine.

Ken 
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2022, 10:56:39 PM »
Only thing cheaper that I would use is a 3520 Cobra.  Not that much though.  They have prop charts that include lots of 13-15" props so you should be fine.  If you are not going to compete with it in PA which is probably beyond the planes capability anyway, save money on the timer.  A Hubin would work fine.

Ken
Ken,

This motor was suggested by Mark. Priced nicely.

https://www.altitudehobbies.com/collections/35mm-series/products/leopard-3542-7t-780kv-brushless-airplane-motor

This suggestion by Mark also.

https://www.cobramotorsusa.com/motors-2826-12.html

I still need a bolt on shaft of extra length.

Badass offers one so I have to check the measurements yo see if it will bolt onto either of these. * bucks for the longer shaft.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2022, 11:26:14 PM »
Ken,

This motor was suggested by Mark. Priced nicely.

https://www.altitudehobbies.com/collections/35mm-series/products/leopard-3542-7t-780kv-brushless-airplane-motor

This suggestion by Mark also.

https://www.cobramotorsusa.com/motors-2826-12.html

I still need a bolt on shaft of extra length.

Badass offers one so I have to check the measurements yo see if it will bolt onto either of these. * bucks for the longer shaft.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles
I had a Cobra 2826/12.  Powerful and it's longer which may be of benefit.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2022, 07:20:28 PM »
I had a Cobra 2826/12.  Powerful and it's longer which may be of benefit.

Ken

Ken, I'm out of town currently visiting my wife's friends without my PC and photos. No photos tonight.

When I get back, I'll take a few photos of the cowling so you can see the issue I'm facing. I have to put a fake radial in the cowling or the model will look horrid. The reason I need a longer shaft.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that Cobra out.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2022, 07:37:13 PM »
Ken,

Here's the cowling, 7" in diameter.

As you can see, the front is recessed. All of that front recess get's removed and allows for a great looking fake radial. ;D

I do need a longer prop shaft so the motor is as far behind the opening as possible to allow for the fake radial.

That recess is .25" then add another .25" for the prop thrust line forward of that, factor in the prop thickness, washer and a decent amount of threads holding everything together.

Yikes! So, the longer the better and I prefer a bolt on.

Charles

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2022, 12:02:33 PM »
Charles, will you be using Masks, or stencils on this plane? Or will you go the vinyl sticker route?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2022, 01:29:36 PM »
Charles, will you be using Masks, or stencils on this plane? Or will you go the vinyl sticker route?

Kevin,

We both know the short cut is applying vinyl then the final coat of clear.

The graphics are a bit of a way off but to think about finishing, while the build is taking place, is a good thing.

If I use masks/tape and painted everything, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You would have to get really really close.

Now here's another thing. The model could be finished and cleared then the vinyl graphics could be applied.

Best why if you take making repairs down the road. I expect to fly this one.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Nice Tsunami!!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2022, 01:51:14 PM »
Charles I'm glad to see you going full bore on another plane. Especially interested in the finishing part. Doing Scale or semi scale models really adds to the work that needs to be done. Glad your going to fly it too! Myself, if i wanted a model that i dont fly i would go back to building the plastic ones! 😁

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2022, 03:44:12 PM »
Kevin,

We both know the short cut is applying vinyl then the final coat of clear.

The graphics are a bit of a way off but to think about finishing, while the build is taking place, is a good thing.

If I use masks/tape and painted everything, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You would have to get really really close.

Now here's another thing. The model could be finished and cleared then the vinyl graphics could be applied.

Best why if you take making repairs down the road. I expect to fly this one.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Nice Tsunami!!
Charles - If you are going to fly this one, do yourself a favor and take it for a spin as soon as it is airworthy.  I hate it when I have to dig out the #11 on a finished plane!  The biggest one for me is to make sure the thrust line is right.  It really sucks when you have to move the spinner after blending it in.  You don't have that problem but, no oil = no problems with flying it first, then finishing.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2022, 06:07:42 PM »
Charles - If you are going to fly this one, do yourself a favor and take it for a spin as soon as it is airworthy.  I hate it when I have to dig out the #11 on a finished plane!  The biggest one for me is to make sure the thrust line is right.  It really sucks when you have to move the spinner after blending it in.  You don't have that problem but, no oil = no problems with flying it first, then finishing.

Ken

Ken,

Yes, no finish on this model until it flies. The finish can come well after.

I have the CG and plenty of elevator movement which is adjustable, so it should fly well, plus a Smoothie wing.  Weight? I have to get a battery for the scale I have. Then I can weigh things.

I believe I put the cowling photo up. I'm still looking at sizes and performances for a motor.

The Badass 3520 is the only one so far which has a long prop shaft available.

I'm going to take a look at the hole pattern to see if it fits other motors which are less expensive.

Ken, as always, thanks for the reply.

Charles

P.S. Photos tomorrow, interesting ones.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2022, 06:15:59 PM »
Charles I'm glad to see you going full bore on another plane. Especially interested in the finishing part. Doing Scale or semi scale models really adds to the work that needs to be done. Glad your going to fly it too! Myself, if i wanted a model that i dont fly i would go back to building the plastic ones! 😁

Kevin,

Understandable.

I have a long history of building models and selling them. Way back, I did have an interest in flying and flew a great deal, but not so much now. 35 degrees today.

There are some CL guys near me and they did reach out. Maybe I'll hear from them again? But I know someone who is in contact with them.

Yes, I'm trying to move fast on the TEXACO 13. If anyone has preowned equipment I could use in great shape, let me know.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2022, 03:06:25 PM »
I had no choice but to stop the build to make the instrument panel and "limited" cockpit detail.

Sheeting is next. if I add more detail to the cockpit it can be done after the sheeting of the cockpit side area.

Scale building is a killer.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2022, 10:24:16 AM »
Patterns for all sheeting, just to be sure.

No need to make a mistake using contest grade balsa.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2022, 06:04:45 PM »
More progress.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2022, 09:12:52 AM »
What did you attach the paper to the parts with?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »
More progress.
You need a bowlegged pilot figure! 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2022, 12:56:43 PM »
What did you attach the paper to the parts with?

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

That's construction paper from any CVS. After you fiddle with the cardboard to your liking, simply place i on the balsa and draw the outline.

With many parts, it's easier to use contact adhesive with paper. Tracing many thin paper pieces is a challenge.
t
The cardboard is a bit thicker and has body.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2022, 12:58:35 PM »
You need a bowlegged pilot figure! 

Ken

Ken,

It's amazing how tight a fit it is for the pilot on the actual aircraft.

No viewing room either.

Charles

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »
Apparently he had a seat that went up and down so he could taxi.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2022, 08:20:29 AM »

Craig

Craig,

I never read this anywhere? Where did you come by this information.?

Sounds reasonable. However, I know of no tail draggers which had a seat that elevates.

I learned to fly in a tail dragger and it was an issue, but you get used to it.

Warbirds?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2022, 08:24:05 AM »
I'm just throwing photos out there in no real order. See what sticks.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2022, 08:27:55 AM »
A few more photos.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2022, 01:15:39 PM »

Craig

Craig,

I'm not sure about that. I looked at a few photos I have, plus a great book with a few photos of the pilot on board.

The pilot's head just about hits the canopy, which BTW, slides forward.

Charles

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2022, 03:57:44 PM »
The same website has a great view of the dash as well.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2022, 10:20:47 AM »
The same website has a great view of the dash as well.

Craig,

What a guy!

I never knew about this website. however, I do have most of the photos in a file, including the instrument panel.

Thanks again.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2022, 03:45:19 PM »
Tail wheel stuff and bottom sheeting completed. The entire model is sheeted.

Bent the tail wheel wire twice because I wasn't excited with the first.

Charles

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2022, 04:52:20 AM »
looking goo Charles! great model subject, will be a pleasant sight!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2022, 08:26:21 PM »
looking goo Charles! great model subject, will be a pleasant sight!

Fred,

Thank you.

I'll get some recent photos up on Saturday.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2022, 02:19:11 PM »
mucho progreso amigos!

"Brick by brick my citizens, brick by brick. William Shakespeare

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2022, 02:50:07 PM »

I made a decision on which motor to use on the TEXACO 13.

I purchased the Badass 3520 and an extra long prop adapter plus a 13" prop.

I need these things to set the cowling. I hope these photos aren't small.

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here