News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TEXACO 13 Semi-Scale Build!! Real slow build.  (Read 12073 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
TEXACO 13 Semi-Scale Build!! Real slow build.
« on: December 11, 2018, 10:15:25 AM »
Well, by popular demand, looks like I'm going to move forward and do a Build on my TEXACO 13 project. I've already posted some information here and there.

A really slow build to play it safe.  ;D   Not sure where to place the Thread yet?

Semi-Scale in appearance but it will stunt, probably not the pattern, but R/C throttled for unlimited touch n goes. Just a colorful sport model to have some fun with.

Fun.  #^

I've had this aircraft on my mind since the late 80's. It's about time I did something about it.

Aircraft and my drawing.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
Re: TEXACO 13 Semi-Scale Build!! Real slow build.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
Ought to be an interesting project. Post pics as you go.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
Looks like it should more than qualify as a scale airplane for a contest.  It should fit very nicely in the sport scale category.  If not it will compete in the Fun Scale category.  Looks like you are going to model it after an airplane you own.  If so good color photos should be a snap.  If it will do loops and wing overs it will be a slam dunk on the flight score.  Go to the AMA site and look at the rules.  I have flown some scale.  Great bunch of people.  Really fun contests.  Also lots of info in the scale section of this forum.   #^   #^   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »
Hi Charles....here's a little something to wet your appetite!  Cast iron baby.  I've noticed that it doesn't seem to be very floaty! LOL
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:40:26 AM »
That full scale original, the Travelaire Mystery Ship, hangs  in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.  I’ve thought to do it myself as a full stunter- someday.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:50:39 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 03:11:03 PM »
Ought to be an interesting project. Post pics as you go.

Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

I will Post photos, that's part of what a build is all about and it adds interest to contributing to the Forum.

Looks like it should more than qualify as a scale airplane for a contest.  It should fit very nicely in the sport scale category.

John,

Thanks for the reply. Well you know I have little interest in competing, but you never know. My luck, first place will be an ARF, and I won't even make the board.  LL~

Hi Charles....here's a little something to wet your appetite!  Cast iron baby.  I've noticed that it doesn't seem to be very floaty! LOL

Glenn,

Hey! Hey! Thanks for the reply. I think I have a cast airplane, but can't rember what it is?  n~

That full scale original, the Travelaire Mystery Ship, hangs  in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry.  I’ve thought to do it myself as a full stunter- someday.

Dave,

Yes, Chicago, I know that. There's also a dozen photos on line of the aircraft taken there. Many views and living color.

Thanks for the reply.

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »

John,

Thanks for the reply. Well you know I have little interest in competing, but you never know. My luck, first place will be an ARF, and I won't even make the board.  LL~

I never came in first.  That's not the point.  The point is getting together with a great bunch of folks and to see and be seen.   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »
I never came in first.  That's not the point.  The point is getting together with a great bunch of folks and to see and be seen.   #^

John,

I just saw your reply.

That is really funny.  LL~ LL~

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
All tail feathers are drawn.

I'll print them to scale and see if I have the balsa needed to make them.

If not,

Ring, ring, "Hello, Tom Morris."

Maybe I'll build the model from the back forward.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:50:58 PM »
Working around this Smoothie ARF wing creates issues, it's not the same aspect ratio as the TEXACO 13.

So Semi-Scale it will be.

Looks like the wing is 1/7 scale and the fuselage is 6.8 scale. And I'm not redrawing the fuselage parts.

I gotta check my math.

On the ground viewed at 300 ft you won't be able to see the difference.

Stab area increased a tad and the wing re-located a bit for better balance.

Same with the gear.

I'd like to see this Thread moved to Scale Models Forum.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:59:37 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 06:35:39 AM »
With your own design and scratch building, you're faced with questions not normally considered when building a stock kit.

For example:

Size of the model and power choice. Engine or motor? 

How much detail will I need with my personal drawings/plans? The more detail the better, possibly. Extra work.

Do I cut this "Smoothie" wing in half and rejoin it for a small dihedral? Looks nicer. Extra work.

Ailerons? Pen lines to represent them or cut them out for a more interesting and scale look? Extra work.

Spring or shocked landing gear? Keeps the model from getting beat up a bit. Extra work.

1/8 or 3/32 gear wire? Weight trade off for strength? Not necessarily.

Removable wheels? Benefits. Extra work.

Wood selection? Totally your own decision. Give up strength for light? Maybe not. Use what wood you have? I like that.

Type of construction? Past building experience and the type of models you have experience building can determine this. Still have to pay attention to wood choice.

Fiberglass parts? Could work in areas depending on the model. May or may not save weight and could or could not offer benefits. Extra work.

Removable rudder and vertical stab? Makes shipping easier, smaller box if the model gets sold. Extra work.

Adjustable elevator or not? Small hatch. Extra work.

HDWE choice? Tom Morris. This one is easy.

Surface and finishing details. How far do you elect to take it? Boring, mild, excessive, or really knock um dead! Extra work.

Could be penalties for the latter. LL~

For those that scratch build scale or semi-scale models,

What have I left out?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 01:17:33 PM »
Robart,

Thank you for the move to Scale Models. I won't bet buried as quickly.  LL~

Oh My Gosh!!

I got something on paper!

Tail feather plans.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
While a scratch built scale model airplane gets built and progresses or goes together, especially one that is designed by the builder, there are many changes that take place in the process. Changes from beginning to end.

I write notes to myself so I can keep track of the changes and tasks.

I'm curious if others do also?

The drawings are important as is the accuracy of part assembly. I cannot believe how many changes I've made to my drawings, which I actually started in 2004, till this day.

I just made a change this morning with the shape of the turtle deck.

If I elect to cut the wing in half for a small dihedral, many fuselage formers will have to be changed, plus the pieces that become the motor mount sides and firewall.

It never ends.

I use different colors in my drawings, makes it a bit easier to keep track of what's going on.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »
Spent an hour or so on my little sweetheart's tail feathers, you would be surprised as to what you can accomplish when you glue paper to balsa.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 06:12:46 PM »
All Builds get off to a slow start, drawings, flat cut tail feathers, but I promise the Build will get more interesting.

Faux ribs on all tail feathers.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
Spent some time this evening fine tuning my plans.

Turtle deck change, to a more scale outline, required the change of a half dozen fuselage formers.

Might just be able to print these plans tomorrow.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
I am getting so close to printing out my fuselage formers and close to cutting them.

Scale, what a drag, I wish the formers were a tad simpler.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 07:06:36 PM »
Here's most of the fuselage parts "nested" for printing.

Be different if arranged for laser cutting. I'll glue this stuff to balsa or ply and do the cutting by hand. Finish the edges with a sanding.

Goes quickly because it's fun, I'll do a second sheet for the other parts.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 10:50:48 AM »
I printed my TEXACO 13 parts this morning.

Probably print the plans over the weekend.

Thought some color might spark interest.

The TEXACO 13 is a great aircraft to model with an interesting history.

My excitement won't go away. I'm looking forward to paint!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
I bit the bullet so to speak and redid the aft fuselage formers as per drawings in the Travel Air book.

Photos of the aircraft seem to back up these cross section drawings.

Sorry about the photos, I use my phone instead of my Nikon. Saves me steps.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 11:15:23 AM »
Hey Charles.....Merry Xmas and happy New Year to you and yours.  Fascinating as always.  So what is the wingspan on this beauty and what are you thinking of powering her with?
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »
Hey Charles.....Merry Xmas and happy New Year to you and yours.  Fascinating as always.  So what is the wingspan on this beauty and what are you thinking of powering her with?

Glenn,

Thank you and same to you.

2019 will be a great year to build and contribute to the Stunt Hanger Forum.

The wingspan is only 52". I'm using a modified Smoothie ARF wing.

I'm giving power some thought, I'm even considering IC. A vintage racer deserves the smoke and noise.

Scale models, as complicated as they can be with construction and detailing, it's never to early to examine needed HDWE and to address your stash of contest grade balsa for the upcoming project.

Glenn, thanks for the reply!

Charles

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 01:59:25 PM »
https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/forum-connection-problems/

I know you don't pay attention to such things, but Bob is having problems with the site and has been working on it for several days, and posted on the main forum about it. Check out the link above. Maybe you ought to cut back on meaningless photos and help out with the situation, and at least quit loading photos until he gives the all clear.
   just sayin',

Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »
Charles,
Great build thread, I sent you some photos I took of diecast Texaco's that were on a wall near a job site I went to last year. There are several Texaco's with different paint trims.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 09:33:02 AM »
Charles,
Great build thread, I sent you some photos I took of diecast Texaco's that were on a wall near a job site I went to last year. There are several Texaco's with different paint trims.

Best,   DennisT

Dennis,

I've been really busy and haven't checked that email. I have 6 emails.

I'll look today.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »
Dennis,

I've been really busy and haven't checked that email. I have 6 emails.

I'll look today.

Charles

Here's the photos taken by Dennis.

Great collection! My guess is they are glued to the wall?

Thanks again Dennis.

Charles

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 08:07:17 AM »
I printed my TEXACO 13 parts this morning.

Probably print the plans over the weekend.

Thought some color might spark interest.

The TEXACO 13 is a great aircraft to model with an interesting history.

My excitement won't go away. I'm looking forward to paint!

The picture with the inverted Triplane in back is at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo in Michigan.
The model should fly well & be a chore to paint.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 09:27:25 AM »
The picture with the inverted Triplane in back is at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo in Michigan.
The model should fly well & be a chore to paint.

Paul,

Thanks for the reply and looking in.

That Museum is incredible. They have the TEXACO 13 replica?

By "chore," do you mean time consuming or difficult?

Charles

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 09:41:34 PM »
Yeah, Kalamazoo.  In addition to two buildings, they have a CL circle in between.

The Triplane and Buzz Bomb are replicas, but the Futureliner is GENUINE.  One of only few still in exisitance, most likely Number 10 on loan from Auburn Indiana.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:07:11 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »
Charlie, here are some pics of the late Jack Sheeks "Mistery Ship". He competed with it at the Nats and was on the U S Scale team with it.
Shirley, his wife gave it to me to restore. It's slow going but I hope to have it done by summer with hope's of getting it into the AMA museum.
Enjoy.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2019, 02:11:40 PM »

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
Allen,
Could you start a thread about this restoration? I'm interested in the model. Jack was a prolific builder and great flyer. Would love to see his flying competition model coming back to it's original condition. As a seasoned US Team member flown flying model it is an important part of CL Scale. Thanks for your efforts, I'm glad you accepted Shirley's request to restore it.
Chris...

Charlie, here are some pics of the late Jack Sheeks "Mistery Ship". He competed with it at the Nats and was on the U S Scale team with it.
Shirley, his wife gave it to me to restore. It's slow going but I hope to have it done by summer with hope's of getting it into the AMA museum.
Enjoy.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 05:15:34 PM »
I completed the gear drawing and printed it out. I don't have a printer.

So let me define "printed." I have a vinyl cutter that follows a vector line. It has a blade installed so the machine can cut vinyl.

I remove the blade and install a pen that's designed for my machine. Instead of vinyl I install paper. The results are extremely accurate. I've been doing drawings this way for a long time.

Here's the TEXACO 13 landing gear. Now all I have to do is build both the left and right. Do I see springs there?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »
Time to bend gear wire.

I don't mind bending wire but this time and this particular gear offers challenges.

Good thing wire is inexpensive.

These rear pieces are completed, well almost. There's another couple of tasks needed on them. 3 more pieces per side and some soldering. I'm not looking forward to it.

Ran out of .125" wire also.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »
This is a smoothie wing I'm working with. All I changed was the wing tip outline.

Do I or don't I cut out ailerons? Better look for scale.

Anyway, here's the progress with the landing gear blocks.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »
Test line-up for my spring gear. I can't believe I'll be cutting this wing in half for the dihedral.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 10:00:33 AM »
Photos to show progress.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2020, 01:05:29 PM »
What size wire is that?

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »

Craig,

.125" or commonly known as 1/8".

I don't think you'll need gear like this because you're building your Travel Air for stunt

I expect to do many touch n go's even on grass. Only reason I did this.

And because I can.  ;D

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2020, 12:34:32 AM »
More progress.

I had these teardrop fiberglass wheel pants for years intended for another model. A Sterling PT-17 actually. Good thing I kept the wheel pants.

As you can see, the shape has been changed dramatically. A bit of heat and removal of material.

Took a bit of time, but not as long if they were made of balsa. They have to come apart for tire replacement, if needed.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2020, 06:16:57 PM »
I'm going to still drop in some photos from time to time and continue with the Thread.

A bit more on wheel pants. These were actually a teardrop shape. Heat and trimming did the trick.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 07:43:20 AM »
Silking the balsa flange.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2020, 01:34:18 PM »
Did a wrap with the silk over onto the fiberglass.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »
I might just continue with this TEXACO 13 model.

I do have much of the model completed. Fuselage is the easy part.

I'll decide.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:46:33 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2021, 08:21:07 AM »
Well, I'm back on the TEXACO 13 build.  ;D

I opened the plan file and fine tuned the plans. I should be printing the finished plans by mid week and if lucky, I'll be cutting wood.

I'm excited.

CB

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2021, 04:43:50 AM »
looking good! great choyce of plane! i am signed here to follow up

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2021, 06:23:44 AM »
looking good! great choyce of plane! i am signed here to follow up

Fred,

What a guy!

If your interested in the model, I'll be glad to send you a set of plans with the drawings of the parts, for no charge. I'll also pay the shipping.

Let me know.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »
Fred,

What a guy!

If your interested in the model, I'll be glad to send you a set of plans with the drawings of the parts, for no charge. I'll also pay the shipping.

Let me know.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles
thanks a lot for the VERY kind offer Charles! right now i have too much on my plate ( smith miniplane to be corrected, Aeronca for 2022 season and a striking project for 23/24 this one will take a lot of effort, but may worth it)
please keep posting the progress! looks great!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »
Not many pieces so far. Designed for electric so you don't need as much strength in wood thickness or choice. More parts to cut.

The paper will peel off if not, a tad of heat will do the trick.

Charles.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2021, 09:31:45 AM »
More formers.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here