News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TEXACO 13 Semi-Scale Build!! Real slow build.  (Read 12080 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: TEXACO 13 Semi-Scale Build!! Real slow build.
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2022, 08:08:42 AM »
A bit more progress.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2022, 02:58:42 PM »
Spent some enjoyable time on the TEXACO 13. Tweaked the glass wheel pants, (Epoxy mix,)  plus cut and removed the cowling front opening.

Handled the Badass 3520-790 to get comfortable with it for what lies ahead, mounting. I have the "extended" shaft and have to fit the motor perfectly from motor mount to prop thrust line.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2022, 04:15:12 PM »
Can't beat a Badass.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »

This dummy radial currently has some paint on it. I have two more hours in it, I said the max would be 4 hours not counting what it took to get to this point.

I'm going to try to get this thing done by the end of the day. Possibly

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2022, 03:22:18 PM »
Well, I didn't get this thing completed in one day because I've been really busy. In fact, I didn't even try.

I have just about 6 hours of my time in this project, from box to what you see. AND, I could take it to another level of detail.

I just might. Here's the before and after.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
These pieces end the assembly stage of the TEXACO 13. Nothing left to make except the three piece canopy. That I can do well after the model is silked.

I'll be preparing the wood for the silk covering.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2022, 09:51:45 AM »
I don't believe I've put this photo up.

Hollowed nose block but made in 8 pieces. 8 pieces glued together with CA then shaped to fit the fuselage. "Spot" Epoxied to the fuselage for removal so the shaped piece can be hollowed. Doesn't take a good deal of heat to separate pieces held together with Epoxy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2022, 05:13:42 PM »
Time for the body putty. Wood has two coats of clear dope, one thinned and one a bit thicker. Putty looks thick because it's really opaque.

95% of the putty will be be removed with sanding. Probably Deft Wood Lacquer from here. Probably only two coats will be needed. I'll force dry the first coat with heat so I can apply the second immediately. Clean the brush once.

Silk is coming.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2022, 09:41:38 AM »
Had to charge the battery.
Wing bottom.

Maybe I'll get a photo after this stuff is sanded. Quite a bit gets removed. Great stuff for this purpose. But, I'm sure there's other products.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2022, 10:20:07 AM »
Another area.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2022, 03:48:03 PM »
Almost forgot these things.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2022, 08:36:02 PM »
Its a small thing, but FWIW I would have run the grain this way.
MAAC 8177

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2022, 08:10:06 AM »
Its a small thing, but FWIW I would have run the grain this way.

You're 100% correct. I'll take notice for applications in the future. The piece will be silked, which will add strength, OR, do I add a 1/16" strip of hard balsa to the end?

Charles

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2022, 09:22:59 AM »
Almost forgot these things.

Hi Charles,

A suggestion:

Instead of using balsa, use a piece of 1/64" ply.  You can feather the edge to almost a knife edge without much risk of something splitting.  Then build up the fillet with whatever you use for the entire fillet between the wing and fuselage.  The fillet material will give the gussets rigidity. 

Keith
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 10:31:40 AM by Trostle »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2022, 10:41:00 AM »
Hi Charles,

A suggestion:

Instead of using balsa, use a piece of 1/64" ply.  You can feather the edge to almost a knife edge without much risk of something splitting.  Then build up the fillet with whatever you use for the entire fillet between the wing and fuselage.  The fillet material will give the gussets rigidity. 

Keith

Keith, Pat

What a pleasure reading your Posts.

Yes, the ply is a better way also. I should know better, but no one knows everything. Your suggestion is appreciated and yes, I obviously made a mistake which was brought to my attention in a kind way. Thankyou.

I opt to simply place this hard balsa strip on the end. Certainly a band-aid and incorrect by many standards, as it should be.

I didn't feel like removing the piece, but this has been a good lesson and I'll do better next time.

Thank you both.

Charles

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2022, 12:54:18 PM »
Hi Charles,

A suggestion:

The gusset behind what will be the flap trailing edge started out as a piece of 1/64" ply as explained above.  The gray shown is the blocking coat before the white gets sprayed on.  The red trim will be masked first.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2022, 05:51:29 PM »

Keith,

Thanks for the photo.

Clean, neat and really nice.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2022, 03:34:36 PM »
I iron my silk.

I'll have to go to the GBR-3 build and review the application of applying silk dry with CA. I haven't done this in years.

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2022, 11:58:37 AM »
Starting to cover the TEXACO 13.

I'm wondering how common it is for scale modelers to design and scratch build instead of building a kit?

BTW, While cleaning out file cabinets, I found the invoice for the fiberglass cowling. I paid 37.00 plus 8.00 shipping, and this was some years ago.

So, anyone thinking about building the TEXACO 13, let me know and I'll give you the information. Also remember, I used a modified Smoothie wing.

I'm guessing Smoothie wing kits may possibly be available? Rib set for sure?

Charles

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2022, 01:40:00 PM »
TEXACO 13 build!! Gripping, to say the lease.

Adjustable rudder, simple install.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2022, 03:17:41 PM »
The vertical stab and rudder was tricky. Took ten minutes and was a bit difficult holding the model in place and all. But I got through it.

Silk applied dry with CA, ready for dope in 10 minutes. Still not bad. Now the other side.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2022, 06:50:53 PM »
The other side. Oops! A wrinkle I couldn't live with. Small ones are fine, livable they are.

Dope might have done the fix, but for the few minutes it'll take, I'll replace this open area.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2022, 09:19:50 AM »
Bang! The fix. Using CA.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2022, 08:01:59 AM »
A bit warmer today so I may be in the garage applying silk to the rest of the fuselage. I hope so.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2022, 05:19:14 PM »
Second coat of Deft Wood Finish. Might need a third before primer. The Deft get's 220 before primer is applied.

Wings will get prepared for silking before any primer is applied. Deft is a usable product and can be speed dried immediately.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »
It's not easy being me.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2022, 06:11:41 PM »
Silked the 4 sides of the TEXACO 13's wing this morning. Just about 5 minutes per panel applying the silk dry using CA.

What's better than this? I'll be applying clear dope to the open bays after my brake :-)

Photos eventually.

I applied two coats of dope right out of the can. Speed dried the first. I have no patients.

Charles

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »

I have no patients.

Charles

Are you a doctor?

Keith
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 07:22:13 AM by Trostle »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2022, 07:16:18 AM »
Purchased a QT of clear from Sig. $46.14 with expedited shipping.

Well worth it.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2022, 02:09:27 PM »
Purchased a QT of clear from Sig. $46.14 with expedited shipping.

Well worth it.

Sig clear arrived this afternoon. Wow! Two days and I have it.

Sig has never let me down yet.

Here's the TEXACO 13 with just two coats of clear, right out of the can. I'll bet I could apply primer without a third coat. Nah!

If there were more interest I'd go a "finishing build." But I have "finishing builds" all over the place. ;D

Charles

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2022, 05:21:12 PM »
Charles,

How are you going to do the lead out guide?  What will it attach to on that wing that is already covered?

Keith

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2022, 08:46:54 AM »
wont need it if u dont fly it
rad racer

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »
wont need it if u dont fly it

Dangling leadouts make uninteresting artifacts.  They might be used for hanging the thing on a wall.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 10:02:28 AM by Trostle »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2022, 10:47:40 AM »
Dangling leadouts make uninteresting artifacts.  They might be used for hanging the thing on a wall.

Keith

Keith,

Build one and you won't feel so bad.

Smoothie wings are everywhere.

I have all the parts outline drawings plus drawings of the tall feathers. I have the receipt for the cowling so that's no issue.

There gear and pants? Well, you can come up with s better choice than mine, mine are heavy.

It would be a good project for you and for the others who help you with your models.

It's a bunch of work for one guy, especially the fuselage sheeting. Not to mention, pieces have to be made and cut as you move along with the project.

Thank you for you're interest.

Charles

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2022, 02:34:36 PM »
Check this out

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2022, 05:15:00 PM »
Check this out

This belongs in the "At the Handle" or "Judging" headings rather than being lost in this endless build thread that deserves little attention compared to the value of this video.

Xu was 5th at the World Championships. 

The video shows numerous things other than it was a really nice flight.  Good corners, good shapes, good sizes, pretty good intersections, pretty good bottoms.  Shows the value of the placards which are the metric equivalent of 2 foot squares placed at 45 degree segments of the circle.  They show the right sizes for the loops and eights.  Shows how well the bottoms of the maneuvers are flown as well as how well level flight is done and on and on.

Could have used a better placement of the camera to align with the wind/where the pattern was flown.  Still, this is a really good video.

Worthwhile to watch each of these videos.

Videos like this could be used to train judges to show basically how a good pattern should be flown while at the same time being able to point out the errors, however minor they may be.  The placards are a bid help.

Keith
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 05:41:35 PM by Trostle »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here