News:

• April 24, 2024, 09:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Testor clear?????  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Testor clear?????
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Maybe I can save someone a headache down the road. I used Testors flat clear spray (lacquer) on my airplane and it did not work to my satisfaction.  On some of the inked panel lines it caused them to run. I did it the same as I have always done on many, many airplanes before with no problems (fogging a couple coats then a regular coat). What I think is the Testors product is a hotter clear. I have always used Brodak paint and DuPont 3608S lacquer thinner with no ill effects. So I have learned a lesson here, don't change what works for you.

Blessings
Allen

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Testor clear?????
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »
Just  FYI for those of us who use two-part auto clear, it's Nason for me, I also had this problem once.  I now mist (or dust) on at least three coats with 5 minutes or more in between.  For multiple coats of the death paint it needs to go tacky before the next coat, as I'm sure you all know, so I let the mist coat do the same before hitting it again.
Sorry for all your hard work needing to be done again, Pardner. :'( :'(
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »
That sucks...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »
I build guitars and I use Krylon clear as a fixative over delicate details, which will be subsequently clear coated with lacquer. Here's a hand painted example on a headstock. I think Krylon would work well to protect ink lines.

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »
Dennis, how do you think it will protect against 20% nitro?

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
 I have tried Krylon with fuel, 10%, and it doesn't even come close to being fuel proof.  The best clear I have found is the death paint clear, and that is what I have used on my custom guitars for the past five years with no problems from any customers.  I like it for the instruments because it meets the requirement of flexing with the wood expanding/shrinking.  I like it better than nitro-cellulose lacquer because I don't have to wait 6 weeks before I sand and buff it!  (That caused me no end of impatient clients waiting for their instruments!)
But...I still had that one time where I should have misted it on the ink lines before the first medium coat.

By the way Dennis, I love your Yosemite Sam!  Had that one on my old Ruffy years ago - he's sort of a hero for me!  Are you building mostly acoustic, or electric, or both?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
Good,

Do you send your guitars out for the clear coat or do you paint them in house yourself.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »
Guys, I use Krylon crystal clear rattle can only as a fixative so additional clear coats of lacquer (or fuel proof paint) don't eat the art work or panel lines. I doubt that Krylon is fuel proof and Will has confirmed that. My "Sammy" guitar had 6 coats of lacquer before the artwork was done followed by another 6 coats of lacquer on top of the art work. I previously found that acrylic paint crinkles up when over sprayed without using Krylon for protection.

Will, I've built three acoustic guitar, a "Fibson" J-185 for myself, a "Martini" OM28V for my son, and a Dobro (Sammy) for myself. You can see & hear them at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kneelingpad/videos

Charles I paint my guitars myself in the garage during the summer using nitrocellulose rattle cans. Many coats are applied, then wet sanded flat before buffing the finish to a gloss. Yosemite Sam was painted for me by my daughter who is an artist. She informed me that it was the most difficult painting she has ever done and her detail work is absolutely beautiful.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »
Whooaaa Dennis, that girl of yours is gifted!!  Wow.  (Looks like she might have gotten that from dad.)
You also have good taste in guitar designs.  I love the jumbo tones, and am about ready to start soaking the sides for a cherry jumbo here in the shop.  I don't have a contract for it, but came by the cherry at a super price so decided I should have a personal acoustic in the shop.  I have a cedar top for it.
I went to the youtube site and enjoyed the tonal quality of those two instruments.  Great playing also.  Do you get your Nitro cans from Stewart MacDonald or LMI?

Charles, I spray in my shop.  Lots of ventilation and exhaust fans plus my pesticide mask with carbon filters and an additional face mask. The only thing on my custom instruments that I don't do is the metal hardware and fretboards.  I don't want to own the equipment to accurately saw fret slots when I can get great fretboards for 40 bucks.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:53:44 PM by Will Hinton »

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
Will, I buy Behlin lacquer and vinyl sealer from Grizzly.com. The rattle cans work so good for me that I don't bother to use my spray equipment. I use ZPOXY finishing resin to fill the pores of the sides and back.

Yes, my daughter is a super talented artist with an exceptional eye for detail. I wish I could say she inherited her talent from me but that is not the case. She does miniature paintings with detail that is hard to believe. She also painted the Roses on my Gibson Jumbo.

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:52:34 AM »
I often tend to forget about Grizzly, though I do buy most of my truss rids from them.  I like Behlins if I'm going to use lacquer, and the Zpoxy is probably the best sealer around!  Best part of building guitars is not needing to worry about the weight of the finish!! LL~ LL~ LL~
The shadowing on that rose is phenomenal!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 09:37:20 AM »
WOW!

Surrounded by talent. Wack-a-doo!! (means kudos.)  ;D

Not sure rattle can lacquer would be fuel proof?

The thing is, all base colors have to stick to each other and not lift. Plus, this is in my case because I will finish the model in a two part auto clear coat, the clear cannot attack any base colors.

I will use all rattle cans on the FS. See how it turns out.

BTW. There's a auto two part clear that sets in 15 minutes.

In the case of those 12 coats of lacquer, not sure this is necessary any longer? Could be a long conversation about that.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »
On the number of coats of Nitro-cellulose lacquer, it's all according to what you want as to depth of finish in appearance.  I have stopped at 6 most of the time, but also have needed to go with as high as 9 to get what I wanted in a particular wood.  Nitro really makes the grain "pop" out at you and the deeper the finish, the more "pop' you get.  Of course, the viscosity of the mix has a lot to do with it as well.  Thinner spray, more coats.
Too many coats can inhibit the resonant response and projection of an instrument, so you have to balance the finish with the sound desired.
There's nothing more rewarding than that first bass E note played on a successful acoustic!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here