News:

• May 01, 2024, 07:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak's RYAN PT-21  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Art Neto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Brodak's RYAN PT-21
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:41:24 AM »
Howdy,

Has anyone seen or built a Brodak Ryan PT-21? Is it suitable for F4B competition ?

Thanks for any info!

Art
Art Neto
AMA 660250

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
Re: Brodak's RYAN PT-21
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 08:09:11 AM »
Art:

Obtain some three views (I'll bet there are a lot on the internet). Draw your own plans to the scale that you desire. In my opinion, most kits take liberty with the accuracy and the quality suffers. Scratch buildoing is the best.

Jim Fruit

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
Jim,

I agree about scratch building.

As for drawing your own plans.

Just line drawings of outlines can be drawn first with accurate scale outlines.

Kinkos can print them to the scale desired, THEN, construction lines can be added afterwards as per wood thickness and placement.

You will always have the clean original drawings to fall back on, especially if you change your mind about the scale desired.

Just a suggestion.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 07:29:49 PM »
I have the kit I picked up while at Brodaks in 2014.   Also picked up a Merco .40 for it.   For any scale competition I think it is a starter kit that needs documentation before starting the build.  I would like to make mine the inline engine version.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:40:46 PM »
   I believe this kit is based on a design by Frank Beatty, a member of our club here in St. Louis. Frank is a great designer and builder, and has had models published in the mags going back to the mid-fifties. I think the PT-21 was published at one time. I think John Brodak had always wanted to build one, and consulted with Frank on the design and having it kitted. John made the maiden flights on it here in our area, I think, and it was the kit that got him in the C/L scale kit arena. I have a kit stashed for one of these days. As for fidelity of the model to the real airplane, I would have a pretty good feeling that Frank researched it to a high degree when he drew his original plans. The Brodak website says it was drawn and designed by Frank in 1999. next time I see Frank I'll have him relate the story to me again.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
If this is a design created by Frank, I withdraw my comments. Frank is an excellent designer.

Jim Fruit

Advertise Here
Tags: Ryan  

Advertise Here