News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:43:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling PT 17  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Sterling PT 17
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
Is anyone familiar with flying characteristics of Sterling PT17? I have partially framed up kit, with the spun Aluminum cowl, built a long time ago when Ambroid glue was king. Is it worth effort to finish it and get it flying? Are the Ambroid glue joints all brittle ? Is it feasible / worthwhile to attempt to reglue the ambroid joints without adding a ton of added weight? Thanks
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Sterling PT 17
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:15:13 PM »
I have the same Sterling model framed from years ago for R/C, but I made changes and now it's a different older Stearman than the PT-17. Gear, rudder, nothing drastic.

I have seen one fly in R/C. Looked great. That's why I purchased mine!

Top and bottom wing is easy removable, R/C style, so a great model to convert to CL, as I plan on doing if I live long enough.  n~

Is it worth the effort? Absolutely! And then some. Poke a hole or slice the Ambroid and use CA on all joints.

You won't be carrying all that unnecessary R/C stuff so you'll be lighter right out of the gate.

GO FOR IT!

I'd like to see photos.

Hey! you show me yours and I'll show you mine.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:44:22 PM »
My kit was originally for controline. Kit C12.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
My kit was originally for controline. Kit C12.

Lyle,

I know nothing about that kit, I'm sure others will.

It's a bit smaller than mine so there's less work to bring it alive. A good thing.

The Stearman is still a nice aircraft to model.

Used in air shows a good deal so there's interesting schemes.

I still say go for it!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 10:32:32 PM »
Lyle,
Good sized model for a modern 15 to 25 RC engine, make sure it's balanced well and the alignment of the incidences of wing and tail to fuselage longitudinal axis is right on, should fly well. adjustable leadoffs and a tip weight box would make it easy to get perfect trim thereafter.

I thinking of another "Scale" Old Time entry at VSC, Sterling Waco SRE cabin biplane with a stunt 35 or 40.

Chris... 

Offline Tok Flyer

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:41:10 PM »
I have built many of the C/L kits the early kits were half way decent the later kits were horrible at best. Time taken working and cutting out the die squash parts these build into a great flying airplane  I always flew with a McCoy 35.  I have 2 of these kits that I acquired at a estate auction neither complete but might be able to build one from the 2  this was kit CL12
I also built and flew several FS20 kits with the 64 inch span with a Fox 78 on throttle control very nice scale airplane. Now at 73 years old I begin C/L all  over. Cant wait until I get something ready for summer fun
Richard  Davis

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:25:36 AM »
If you decide to go forward with it, (I would) you may want go give consideration to recoating the joints with a light brushed on coat of Elmer's Wood glue or some similar, using a small brush of some sort.  It won't add much weight but it will add to the basic structural security.  The application of your covering will also add to the strength of the joint and overall structural integrity.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here