News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:54:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spectra lines question for CL Scale  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Spectra lines question for CL Scale
« on: May 22, 2022, 08:18:22 PM »
One of our club members was asking about the use of Spectra lines for CL scale. The CL general rules mention Spectra lines but I don't see anything in the CL scale rules stating that the lines must be a certain type of material or say that lines must be solid or braided metal lines

Do the CL scale rules allow for Spectra lines? I personally don't fly with them but needed to know for one of our local contests

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Spectra lines question for CL Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 11:46:14 PM »
I may be missing something here, but here is the way I read the rules regarding the line material for control line scale competition.

CL General rules for 2022-2023:

Paragraph 5:  "...types of lines permitted are stated under the specific rules for each event."

Paragraph 5.3.5:  "...Spectra lines are not permitted in competition unless the specific rules for the event flown expressly permit such use."

Now, let's go to the Control Line Scale rules for 2022-2023:

Paragraph 4.8.2:  "The line sizes, line length, and pull test are designed based on engineering analysis using ASME and other single and multi-strand wire line strength standards ..."

I cannot find any other mention of line material allowed in the Control Line Scale rule book.  It is clear that the Control Line General rule book does not allow Spectra lines to be used in competition unless the specific rules for the event allows that.  It appears that the Control Line Scale rules only allow ASME and other single and multi-strand wire.

(I hope we do not get into a discussion about the ASME standards that apply to the wire lines ("single or multi-strand) that are required for CL Scale competition.  It is my understanding that solid stainless steel lines to not meet ASTM A228 standards for strength as do lines made from music wire which are required in the CL Speed events, whatever these standards mean.)

Keith
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 11:20:23 AM by Trostle »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 11:55:58 AM »
Is this something that a CD at a local contest could allow, with all due notice per AMA rules?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Pete Bauer

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 12:09:10 PM »
Keith - nice summary.  The rules are clear on this.

I may be missing something here, but here is the way I read the rules regarding the line material for control line scale competition.

CL General rules for 2022-2023:

Paragraph 5:  "...types of lines permitted are stated under the specific rules for each event."

Paragraph 5.3.5:  "...Spectra lines are not permitted in competition unless the specific rules for the event flown expressly permit such use."

Now, let's go to the Control Line Scale rules for 2022-2023:

Paragraph 4.8.2:  "The line sizes, line length, and pull test are designed based on engineering analysis using ASME and other single and multi-strand wire line strength standards ..."

I cannot find any other mention of line material allowed in the Control Line Scale rule book.  It is clear that the Control Line General rule book does not allow Spectra lines to be used in competition unless the specific rules for the event allows that.  It appears that the Control Line Scale rules only allow ASME and other single and multi-strand wire.

(I hope we do not get into a discussion about the ASME standards that apply to the wire lines ("single or multi-strand) that are required for CL Scale competition.  It is my understanding that solid stainless steel lines to not meet ASTM A228 standards for strength as do lines made from music wire which are required in the CL Speed events, whatever these standards mean.)

Keith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 12:12:22 PM »
Is this something that a CD at a local contest could allow, with all due notice per AMA rules?

Before a Contest Director takes action to allow lines that are not specifically permitted by the rules for an event at a sanctioned contest, that CD should read the AMA General rules regarding the responsibilities of a CD.  For a Contest Director, "The concerns of properly applying the rules, ...and providing high levels of safety in connection with the event are basic."  There are other statements regarding the CD responsibilities with regard to how a contest is run.  To allow lines not specifically allowed in an event and there is an accident, the CD could be held personally liable for injuries or damage as a result of that accident.  A CD might want to consider that risk as well as facing a litigation lawyer before allowing lines otherwise not permitted by the rules.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 05:21:20 PM by Trostle »

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 05:04:15 PM »
I agree with you Kieth. I have passed on all of this information to our CD for the Broken Arrow CL stunt and scale contest in Sept. The rules do not support Spectra lines for CL scale so having said that the rules only allow metal braided and solid lines and only allow braided and solid lines just the like the rules cover.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here