Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Scale Models

Smith Miniplane

<< < (2/9) > >>

Dan McEntee:
    I have a SIG Smith Mini-Plane kit stashed away and a partially completed R/C version that I want to set up for C'L scale. The R/C versions that I have seen fly flew very well, and I have no doubt that in the right hands could fly inverted even with a flat bottom airfoil. But with that said, I don't know about a C/L scale version. The wind loading seems reasonable for normal flight as built but for any aerobatics I think it would need to be put on a serious diet, more power and an airfoil change.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

wwwarbird:

--- Quote from: Dan McEntee on August 27, 2021, 09:06:30 AM ---    I have a SIG Smith Mini-Plane kit stashed away and a partially completed R/C version that I want to set up for C'L scale.

Dan McEntee

--- End quote ---

Dan, you need to get to building.  ;)

wwwarbird:

--- Quote from: fred cesquim on August 26, 2021, 12:46:20 PM ---sounds good to me, i will power with a LA46 3 lines, outlines are a bit off, but with such amount fo time available, i will be happy with results
no time to improve on that
good to know it flies well, has he attempted inverted flight?
regards

--- End quote ---

I would consider more motor than the .46.  y1

Also, any plane can fly inverted, at least for a short distance.  :##

fred cesquim:

--- Quote from: wwwarbird on August 30, 2021, 06:29:06 PM --- I would consider more motor than the .46.  y1

Also, any plane can fly inverted, at least for a short distance.  :##

--- End quote ---
after all, inverted flight in c/l is just a laaaazy looop ;D

Chris McMillin:
Miniplane's can fly or glide inverted, it depends on if they have an inverted system for the fuel and oil or not. The idea that 'flatbottom' wings won't fly inverted seems to continue, but it is true that they very much will and do every day. People go out and practice their acro routines in Cubs, Pitts Specials, Smiths, EAAs, Stardusters, and Citabrias and Great Lakes for all sorts of Sportsman and Advanced category aerobatic competitions around the country!
My parent's Citabria 7KCAB had a Christen inverted system and dad used to endure my desire to fly inverted when I was in 8th grade, it sure took a lot of forward stick!
Dan, remember the N3N Inverted Biplane Jump at Quincy (50 times a day for 11 days) and Staggerwing acro with inverted glides, and the Aerobatic Beech Bonanza? No Stunt wings there either.
For a Smith Miniplane flying Scale a loop and inverted flight would be prototypical flight.
Chris...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version