News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:46:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sky Shark R/C  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Don Chandler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Sky Shark R/C
« on: January 09, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »
 ??? Has anyone ever built one of Sky Shark R/C's planes for control line scale? If so, are they a good product?

Don

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Sky Shark R/C
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:58:52 AM »
Don, I have built the Val and flown it in Fun Scale with success. Jack Sheeks also did a Val. It is the best flying C/L scale model I have. The airfoil is much thicker than scale which undoubtedly contributes to its flying ability. The nose has also been slightly lengthened. I think Skyshark's models are an ideal size for C/L scale.

I wrote an article for "Model Aviation" on how to convert an R/C model to C/L and used the Val as an example. Although I was paid for the article, it was never published.

Chuck

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »
Don,

if you can find your June 2015 issue of Model Aviation the "Modern CL scale model" article was in Model aviation that I wrote. While I was covering how a lot of RC technology could be used in a CL scale model it does show how to convert a RC scale model to CL scale.

If the model is less than 20 lbs and the engine is smaller than 1.25 cubic inches it can be flown as a CL scale model. I like to keep my wingspans between 55 and 80 inches for single engine models.

the 63" span is a great size

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
Don,

if you can find your June 2015 issue of Model Aviation the "Modern CL scale model" article was in Model aviation that I wrote. While I was covering how a lot of RC technology could be used in a CL scale model it does show how to convert a RC scale model to CL scale.

If the model is less than 20 lbs and the engine is smaller than 1.25 cubic inches it can be flown as a CL scale model. I like to keep my wingspans between 55 and 80 inches for single engine models.

the 63" span is a great size

Fred

:-\ ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGG! Hi Fred!!  Less than 80" ???  Now you've got me scared!! :o  Mine's 83-1/2"!!   :-\   ;D  (jus' kiddin', just kiddin'!!)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 05:39:44 PM »
I would love to fly my B-29 with yours in tandem, the only way to build a B-29 is big! Mine is at 96" and flies like a glider at 13.5 lbs. I think Grant still has one of the largest CL models at 107" and it's 1/3 scale.

the 63" model would be one of the little friends for fighter coverage...

Awesome looking B-29 model...send me some High resolution pictures for the CL scale column!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 02:42:31 PM »
Thanks for the remarks. I was thinking of picking up the Skyraider kit as my Global Skyraider kit was one of the kits stolen from me a few months ago.

Fred, didn't I see in MA that you wrote some directions on how to install the 2.4MGH? Can I get those from you?

Don

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »
Don,

I will put something together on our club website and put a link here. It will probably be Friday by the time I get it posted. I do have this one video that shows how I configured the electric powered RV-4.

Replace the speed control with a servo

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Don Chandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
Thanks Fred-Appreciate it.

Advertise Here