Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SKF?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
SKF?
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »
Just an odd thought that crossed my mind...

Scale modelers are usually pretty interested in the history and details of -particularly their own- scale models, so...

I wonder if any of the B-17s  that plastered Schweinfurt a couple of times in the 1940's had SKF bearings in engines or other systems?

SKF is the abbreviation for Schweinfurter Kugellager Fabrik - which simply means the Schweinfurt Ballbearing Factory...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
Re: SKF?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:59:29 AM »
Lou;
    I could not answere about the SKF bearrings, but when I was a teenager mowing runways at the local airport, I knew a older gentleman. He had served in the navy in WWII and his ship was hit by a kamikaze plane and when they were cleaning up the mess he found a cylinder head from that plane and it had a Champion Spark plug in it. He still had it in the 1970s.

Leroy

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: SKF?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:53:11 AM »
Thanks for that...

Yeah, despite the mess of diplomacy and its failures in the 1930's, there was a lot of trade among nations which soon were at war.

Stalin delivered materials to NAZI Germany right up to the day of Barbarossa (Hitler's attack into Russia.)

"Oh, by the way Josef, our Peace Pact no longer applies... yrs truly, Adolph."

I believe the neutral Swiss delivered Oerlikon cannon to both sides for a while, early in the fighting in Europe, too.

Such details are all part of what makes Scale modeling attractive, right?
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here