News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:23:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sikorsky S-39 Restoration  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sikorsky S-39 Restoration
« on: September 08, 2022, 09:25:42 AM »
Hello everyone!  I hope y'all are doing well.  As you will see from these few photos, I am approaching the halfway point of this project.  It has been a ball!!  From what I realized, it was to be a full radio-controlled model however, it's my goal to incorporate a dual control capability.  In other words, four channel radio-control but when flying via control lines, the only active function would be throttle and possibly rudder.  So far, the tests have been successful.  Anyway, I am making this post for a couple of reasons:

First, to give credit and respect to the person who started this project as was kind enough to pass the project to me, Charles (aviojet).  I was so pleased and inspired to see how much effort he had put into this project.  Granted, I had to do a fair amount of research, digging and head scratching to figure out how to move forward but at the same time, it was obvious he had the skills and it definitely forced me to "up my game".  Charles, thank you!!

Second, to find out if any of y'all may be able to help me acquire some information / photo documentation so I can complete the project. Specifically, because of its history of service, I opted to replicate the full-sized S-39 on display in the NEW ENGLAND AIR MUSEUM  36 PERIMETER RD.  WINDSOR LOCKS, CT. 06096.  I have visited their website, but I have not been able to see a top view of their S-39 wing for color and configuration.  I have emailed the museum but unfortunately, I have not received a usable response.  I would appreciate any support anyone can provide.

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Sikorsky S-39 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 02:31:26 PM »
I fly CL scale models with 2.4 Ghz for the throttle and flaps and then the handle for the elevator all the time. If you install 2.4 Ghz for the throttle it will be wireless and you just need a stunt handle and set of basic lines. Prior to 2013 I would fly with the down the line controls (since 1991) which was basically the same except it was down the line where the 2.4 Ghz is wireless.

I have never needed the rudder. A few models I have had a tailwheel controlled by a servo so I could adjust the tracking around the circle while on the ground. Typically I need the tailwheel or nose gear fixed but adjustable. In fact I have several models without a rudder at all and they still fly just find.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 12:35:16 PM »
I fly CL scale models with 2.4 Ghz for the throttle and flaps and then the handle for the elevator all the time. If you install 2.4 Ghz for the throttle it will be wireless and you just need a stunt handle and set of basic lines. Prior to 2013 I would fly with the down the line controls (since 1991) which was basically the same except it was down the line where the 2.4 Ghz is wireless.

I have never needed the rudder. A few models I have had a tailwheel controlled by a servo so I could adjust the tracking around the circle while on the ground. Typically I need the tailwheel or nose gear fixed but adjustable. In fact I have several models without a rudder at all and they still fly just find.

Fred
Hi Fred!  Good to hear from you.  I do hope all is well in your area.  Man, I'm still dreaming of coming out there and flying with y'all someday.  Yes, I'm in agreement with you.  I too have a B-29 rigged for throttle control for 4 OS 25's as well as a huge Pat King variant Ringmaster Triplane with an OS 60 on the front end.  Neither is all that aggressive for pulling unless I get silly and allow them to run full throttle thus building up the inevitable centrifugal/centripetal forces   n1.  At the moment, with the S-39, I'm guessing at a potential flightline weight of 5 - 6 lbs. on 60' x .027" lines.  I'm only pondering the activation/use of the rudder control should there be a feeling/need for additional yaw away from the center of the circle and there's really no way to know for sure until the initial test flight phase.  There's a piece of me that would love to convert to electric but, unfortunately, I'm so heavily invested (stocked) with ready to use 60 sized engines that I just can't justify another expenditure of $300 - $400 for the needed equipment.  I think my wife would cancel my "Breathing Permit"  LL~ LL~

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 02:14:23 PM »
I have four strokes, two-strokes and electric and yes they are all different and require different equipment.  I am at the point where the only thing I want to take to the Nats now is electric powered models. I like the FP 60 motors, I have one, but it currently is not on an airplane right now.

Do yourself a favor and put an adjustable line guide on the model. the line guide (vertical and horizontal) location defines how much line tension you get. move the line guide fwd for less tension. Move the line guide up and down to make sure is not banked in on you or banked away. start with the line guide further back, then move it forward after flying the model.

we will have our June 2023 fun fly next year I would think. A no stress fly what you have evevt regardless of how slow, fast, small, big, ugly or pretty it is!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 02:17:05 PM »
You should fly with Ed Mason in Florida, he has a B-29 model again. He is in the Melbourne area. He comes up to our contests here on occasion.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 12:29:57 PM »
You should fly with Ed Mason in Florida, he has a B-29 model again. He is in the Melbourne area. He comes up to our contests here on occasion.
Well, that sounds like great fun and all I can say for now is "If The Good Lord Allows ..."!!  Yes, my buddy and I have had the privilege of meeting him although it was back in 2016.  It was a wonderful get together ... meeting and chatting with him about his collection and experiences.  I will certainly cherish that time.  Unfortunately, we've never had the opportunity to fly with him, to date.  That too, I hope will change!!  I understand his reticence because our group is flying off a public park, county maintained, grass field which, although it's relatively well maintained, it's still "a grass field" with all the advantages and disadvantages that come with that kind of surface.  It's great for sport flying though!  We can crash wherever we want  n~ LL~ LL~!! 

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 04:21:21 AM »
Hello everyone!  I hope y'all are doing well.  As you will see from these few photos, I am approaching the halfway point of this project.  It has been a ball!!  From what I realized, it was to be a full radio-controlled model however, it's my goal to incorporate a dual control capability.  In other words, four channel radio-control but when flying via control lines, the only active function would be throttle and possibly rudder.  So far, the tests have been successful.  Anyway, I am making this post for a couple of reasons:

First, to give credit and respect to the person who started this project as was kind enough to pass the project to me, Charles (aviojet).  I was so pleased and inspired to see how much effort he had put into this project.  Granted, I had to do a fair amount of research, digging and head scratching to figure out how to move forward but at the same time, it was obvious he had the skills and it definitely forced me to "up my game".  Charles, thank you!!

Second, to find out if any of y'all may be able to help me acquire some information / photo documentation so I can complete the project. Specifically, because of its history of service, I opted to replicate the full-sized S-39 on display in the NEW ENGLAND AIR MUSEUM  36 PERIMETER RD.  WINDSOR LOCKS, CT. 06096.  I have visited their website, but I have not been able to see a top view of their S-39 wing for color and configuration.  I have emailed the museum but unfortunately, I have not received a usable response.  I would appreciate any support anyone can provide.

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL

Awesome project! Charles have no limits, glad to see it coming along!
whereīs Charles BTW?

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 03:20:54 PM »
Awesome project! Charles have no limits, glad to see it coming along!
whereīs Charles BTW?
Hey Fred!  Hope all is well with you and yours.  Thanks for the kind words ... it has definitely been a bit of a head scratcher but in a good way.  I've been wondering the same thing ... where is he and is he okay.  The last thing I remember reading in one of the posts on RC Groups, I believe, was that he mentioned moving somewhere overseas for retirement.  Now as to whether he did or not, I honestly do not know but either way, I'm sure he will be missed ... if for nothing else but his incredible skill and knowledge concerning this excellently challenging hobby, we all enjoy!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 04:10:19 PM »
Well, progress on this project was fairly steady until the need to begin preparing for hurricane Ian!!  By God's grace, our area, the Space Coast of Florida was spared the worse of the destructive force, but my heart goes out to those on the West Coast of Florida who absorbed the brunt of the water and wind damage.  For nearly a week, I just didn't have the motivation to come into the workshop until today.

What I can say is that up until that time, I was very fortunate to get a lot of work done and completed the basic covering of the wing.  I fabricated and fitted a removable, bolt-on, 3" under wing bell crank set up so that this S-39 can be flown either control line or using the installed Spektrum 4-channel radio gear.  The drop-down, removable lead out guide will be mounted on the inboard wing as with any other hi-wing control line model.  I have to admit, this is so exciting and I'm looking forward to the initial test flights  ;D!!

Using the existing FRP motor mounts Charles had on the wing's motor mount, I went through all of the .60 sized engines I had in my collection and the Fox Hawk 60 was a perfect drop in fit.  Can't speak for anyone else's experience but mine is a stump puller of an engine swinging a 12 x 6 prop but all I have for it is a header and tuned pipe that I used to fly on my Ugly Stick, back in the day.  I would prefer using a muffler rather than the tuned pipe set up which would certainly destroy the semi-scale appearance.   Unfortunately, I don't have a muffler as such and will have to hold off final installation until I'm able to acquire one from somewhere.  Of course, the alternative would be to beg, find, borrow or be gifted a suitable 60 sized electric motor and ESC (this hobby on a social security income is getting really trying  :( )!

That would be such a thrill!  Just curious ... if someone DID donate the motor and ESC could I give credit and count that person as part of the "team" for a Stand-Off Scale contest??   ???   ;D ;D

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 03:37:38 AM »
Hey Fred!  Hope all is well with you and yours.  Thanks for the kind words ... it has definitely been a bit of a head scratcher but in a good way.  I've been wondering the same thing ... where is he and is he okay.  The last thing I remember reading in one of the posts on RC Groups, I believe, was that he mentioned moving somewhere overseas for retirement.  Now as to whether he did or not, I honestly do not know but either way, I'm sure he will be missed ... if for nothing else but his incredible skill and knowledge concerning this excellently challenging hobby, we all enjoy!
Hello JIm, iīve pīmed him but had no return
hope heīs fine and just busy moving

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 03:39:35 AM »
Well, progress on this project was fairly steady until the need to begin preparing for hurricane Ian!!  By God's grace, our area, the Space Coast of Florida was spared the worse of the destructive force, but my heart goes out to those on the West Coast of Florida who absorbed the brunt of the water and wind damage.  For nearly a week, I just didn't have the motivation to come into the workshop until today.

What I can say is that up until that time, I was very fortunate to get a lot of work done and completed the basic covering of the wing.  I fabricated and fitted a removable, bolt-on, 3" under wing bell crank set up so that this S-39 can be flown either control line or using the installed Spektrum 4-channel radio gear.  The drop-down, removable lead out guide will be mounted on the inboard wing as with any other hi-wing control line model.  I have to admit, this is so exciting and I'm looking forward to the initial test flights  ;D!!

Using the existing FRP motor mounts Charles had on the wing's motor mount, I went through all of the .60 sized engines I had in my collection and the Fox Hawk 60 was a perfect drop in fit.  Can't speak for anyone else's experience but mine is a stump puller of an engine swinging a 12 x 6 prop but all I have for it is a header and tuned pipe that I used to fly on my Ugly Stick, back in the day.  I would prefer using a muffler rather than the tuned pipe set up which would certainly destroy the semi-scale appearance.   Unfortunately, I don't have a muffler as such and will have to hold off final installation until I'm able to acquire one from somewhere.  Of course, the alternative would be to beg, find, borrow or be gifted a suitable 60 sized electric motor and ESC (this hobby on a social security income is getting really trying  :( )!

That would be such a thrill!  Just curious ... if someone DID donate the motor and ESC could I give credit and count that person as part of the "team" for a Stand-Off Scale contest??   ???   ;D ;D
glad you had no issues with hurricane, here in brazil we donīt have them
plane is looking great  would be a sigh in flight! videos please!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 09:29:16 AM »
glad you had no issues with hurricane, here in brazil we donīt have them
plane is looking great  would be a sigh in flight! videos please!
Greetings!  Yes, we were very fortunate and blessed.  My heart goes out to the folks on the West Coast though.  The local and national news has been zeroing in on the devastation affecting literally millions of folks here and all I can say is: Be thankful and prayerful that you, Brazil, never has to face such extreme weather.

Again, thanks for the kind words for the S-39.  I will certainly and gladly share any video when it's ready for flight testing.  Be safe and have big fun at the same time.   

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 08:04:20 PM »
Ive always thought that a very cunning design , Get a Combat wing & Fit a boat  hull under it .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here