News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale meet  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Darrell Mims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Scale meet
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:07:10 PM »
 8)  OK robert here's a new topic  .    Why aren't there more C/L Scale meets ? We here in the south have a few Stunt meets that are scattered about , and not a one has scale . There is speed combat and racing , but the only scale I know is the Nats.       Darrell Mims

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 08:09:19 PM by Robert Storick »

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Scale meet
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:08:48 PM »
We have a scale meet comming up in September here at Budder park.
AMA 12366

Offline Darrell Mims

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:29:28 PM »
8)  OK I'm not complaining but I've been to Budder Park and it's a long way to drive to from Central Alabama ,and with the price of gas these days . Well It's a nice park and I was only there because of the work I do ( i was there with a full size jet that was having work done in Chesterfield ) and I have several multi engine kits I could build .It just don't seem practical to do unless there are several meets to go to. I don't think anyone wants to fool with all the work that it takes to put one on. Even the King Orange doesn't have one . And I guess we all have our priorities these days and mine are with other things at present.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 08:58:09 PM »
CL scale is in sort of a Catch 22 situation.  Not very many people build scale bacause there are not many scale contests.  There are not very many scale contests because nobody builds very many scale airplanes.

That is one of the reasons "fun scale" was created.  Almost anything that resembles a full scale aircraft can be used, whether a profile.  or a carrier ship, or a semiscale stunt ship, or just a "sport" ship  that sort of resembles something like a real airplane.  It would help to have a throttle, but not mandatory.  Then, most any CL contest could have a fun scale event.  People could drag out something, fly, and have fun, might even win a trophy, or a ribbon or a certificate or something.  I have entered semi-scale stunt ships in fun scale and had fun doing it.  Even flew against my carrier ship (a beat up 30 year old Class 1 F8F Bearcat) flown by a good friend which beat me.  Fun scale normally does not have a BOM

Sport scale and profile scale are fun and easy events.  They do not require any more time to build (usually less time unless you start fooling around with retracts and all sorts of other goodies) than a decent competition stunt ship.

Here in the SouthWest (CA and AZ), there are a few dedicated people who keep running scale contests.  Sometimes more than a few people enter.

One neat thing about scale.  If properly built and with proper power, they are easy to fly.  With a throttle, they are fun to fly.  And you do not have to worry about getting through a stunt pattern being judged by judges.  The work is all done before you get to the contest site.  Then, all you have to do is present your model, your presentation, and fly like it was a sport ship.  It certainly does not have the mental pressure like stunt has at a contest.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »
I don't know which came first, lack of contestants or lack of meets. I started flying C/L scale, and dropped out of R/C scale, because there were more C/L contests within a reasonable distance and because I took a new job and met a guy who was competing in C/L scale. The last two scale meets we've had here in Cincinnati did not get any contestants. One meet was scale only, the other was combined with stunt. We are lucky in that with our field location and our method of making trophies, we have a very minimal financial risk when having a contest (sanction fee and film for trophy art).

Here are my suggestions for hosting a meet. Combine it with a stunt meet. If the stunt meet is out of town, ask that club if you can piggy back a scale event on their contest and volunteer to do all the work. If you don't have enough judges, ask the scale guys in your local R/C club to help; scale is scale. I did this for our last "non-event" and could have gotten twice or three times as much help as I asked for. Print some cerificates on your computer for "awards." The winners can keep their certificates in a scrap book. At Leroy's contest he included a photo with all the competitors in the class. That will bring back fond memories several years from now.

Now I'll pose another question or two which I think is within the context of this thread. What kind of incentives do you need to attend a contest? Why do you attend or not attend any particular contest?

I've driven a maximum of about 350 miles to a contest. That has gotten me to Chicago, St. Louis (Buder Park), and Kalamazoo (Leroy's place). I would go to any of them again but have decided to limit myself to one at this distance per year due to the cost. Unfortunately conflicts between contests happen even with AMA's protected areas and there are conflicts with other events. This year I had a choice of attending Leroy's contest in Michigan or the Skyliner's contest in New Albany, IN. Bummer. Also the FCM contest in Muncie conflicts with my R/C club's big air show. Maybe we need a clearing house like this website to coordinate our contests that cross AMA district boundries.

Chuck

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 11:07:24 PM »
The Metroliners Control Line Society's meets are including Scale.  Dale Campbell (US C/L Scale Team member) is a member and officer of the MCLS.

So if you're with in driving distance of the greater Charlotte, NC area, then you have another meet to attend.  Next one is the weekend of Oct. 21.  The field is in Huntersville, NC off I-77 and near I-85 and I-40, both of which cross I-77.

There will be the usual stunt classes, racing, combat, and scale.  It is a county owned site (there is supposed to be a repaving and extension of one of the two paved circles before October)  There is also a paved "circle" layed out on the end of the R/C runway and room for several to practice on the rest of the runway.   One grass circle beside the paved ones, and a grass area for combat at the far end of the runway.

Chuck, I think I met you there several years ago??  I remember a white scale racing plane. (??)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 06:42:07 AM »
Maybe we need a clearing house like this website to coordinate our contests that cross AMA district boundaries.

Chuck

Good idea! Just post the contest in the calendar.
AMA 12366

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 06:50:57 AM »
Bill,
Yes I have been to Huntersville several times. Great facility and lots of southern hospitality. It's about 500 miles away. The white racer is a Mew Gull. The Golden Age racing has dried up and blown away too, and that model has not been flown this year.

Chuck

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 06:52:01 AM »
I have traveled from Michigan to St Louis to compete in the scale portion of the Broken Arrow Stunt and Scale meet fro the last two years. Last year I actually took home the Rolls Royce Trophy and first place in civilian sport scale. I was planning on returning again this year, but I may not be able to. My friend I travel with wont be able to go this year because of his work schedule, and the number of things I have going This September. I wanted to go to Chuck's Club"s event, but it was the week before the Nat's, and with a family it is hard to get to two events that close together time wise and that far away. I have to make choices, and they are not allways happy choices.  :'( I have wanted to attend the FCM contest, but it is the weekend after the Nats. My wife was leaning to let me go this year, but I wasn't recovered enough to go. My airplanes need some tender loving care! :( We are again going to hold a scale contest next year. Date has not been set yet. I would like to avoid conflicts. We could try earlier, but the weather may be more unpredictable.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here