News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scalemaster CL handle, any drawings, etc available?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Scalemaster CL handle, any drawings, etc available?
« on: July 08, 2019, 02:49:21 AM »
I guess the Scalemaster handle is defunct but does anyone know if the tools, drawings, even elevation drawings survive?
Does anyone have one that they would be willing to let go? My brother-in-law and I have an interest in some Scale flying and he has 3D printing and machine and molding shops available to reproduce and construct some. So am interested in any info or contact information that might lead us to more information in obtaining an example of, or rights and tools to, this product.
Thanks for any help.
Chris...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:35:07 PM by Chris McMillin »

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Scalemaster CL handle, any drawings, etc available?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »
I knew the guy who developed that handle when I lived in LA, not many were sold. I have seen better handles from the RC car radio conversions lately.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:13:50 AM »
Got contact info on him, Fred?
Chris...

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
I have no idea where Jason Hayes is now, that handle was developed over 25 years ago, I would take existing 2.4 Ghz technology and package it in a handle that works for you with all of the switches where you want them.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 02:29:56 PM »
Thanks Fred,
My thoughts exactly. Making my own based on his general idea is the best way to go. It would've gone that way had we actually had one probably. Photos do give good basic configuration info.
Chris...

I have no idea where Jason Hayes is now, that handle was developed over 25 years ago, I would take existing 2.4 Ghz technology and package it in a handle that works for you with all of the switches where you want them.

Fred

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »
I repackaged a car radio.   Did take some electronic knowledge such what size slide pot for the throttle.  Throttle pot fit under my thumb allowing one handed flight.  Extra functions were left handed while flying right handed.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »
Thanks John, great pictures. Helps figuring the one to two hand operation.
Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 04:51:36 PM »
There are other Threads on this subject and photos. I have the photos someplace? Maybe I'll dig them up.

Some years ago I attempted to form a "group" of a few individuals just for this purpose.

I could easily design one similar to the one in the photo, but someone else, others, would have to do the electronics, parts list, etc.

Never even got to the conversation stage.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 01:58:02 PM »
I had this photo for some time but forgot all about it.

Stumbled on to it.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 06:30:02 AM »
Bloody hell - that's a handful! I guess all the buttons / switches at the top are LH controlled?

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
Bloody hell - that's a handful! I guess all the buttons / switches at the top are LH controlled?

You're bloody damn right.

All I would need is:

Retracts switch.
Throttle control.
Light for low battery, possibly.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 06:33:30 PM »
After flying with almost every system for throttle over the years I have noticed one thing about how I fly.

1) I like the handle to be light as possible

2) If I have to reach up to the handle to move a switch I jiggle the handle and the model is not flying level any more, it goes up or down when I want it to fly level

3) With all of the throttle, flaps and retracts on a separate box (on my hip) that is operated by my left hand I can keep the model flying level and operate the switches with my left hand. It sounds complicated but it isn't.

4) When the handle has the up and down and has all of the toggle switches you have to move it from airplane to airplane you lose all neutral settings.

5) I fly with one transmitter for all of the models, but they each have their own set of lines. That way all the neutral setting for each model is not touched. I use model memory for each model and use that one transmitter.

6) All of my airplanes have their own set of lines and handle (stunt handle) and they are adjusted for neutral elevator at home so when I fly it again all I have to do make sure I pick up the handle in the right orientation. I leave one clip on the model and one on the lines so I always get the up line on the correct leadout. Some handles have a very narrow spacing some are wider.

Everyone will have a different approach to this topic but anytime I have put toggle switches on the handle I don't get good clean level flight. Remember when you have to start your landing approach, lower the flaps, lower the gear and make it look like it's a smooth flight path. I have a difficult time doing that with switches on the handle. Anytime the handle gets big and heavy it makes flying the model more and more difficult.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline eric david conley

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 10:18:10 AM »
     You are soooo right Fred. In flying carrier over the years I found early on that if you had to use one hand for the up and down control and then use the other hand for throttle control you were doomed. I spring loaded my throttle trigger so I never had to touch it with my other hand and even that leaves a little to be desired.
Eric

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here