Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Scale Models

Scale documentation

<< < (2/5) > >>

Bob Heywood:

--- Quote from: Hemi Steve on April 20, 2020, 07:51:08 AM ---I'm nearing the completion of my authentic scale Nats entry and I'm at an important decision point and need some advice.  I have all of my documentation lined up and I have all of the color chips for the proper RLM colors.  The problem is that the chips do not match the color photos.  The full scale aircraft is a Smithsonian restoration and I have details from the restoration that identifies the colors they used which are consistent with other sources for the aircraft.  But the lighting at the museum causes a color shift in photos.  For example, the RLM76 (light blue) looks like a light bluish grey.  I can adjust the paint to match the photos but any judge who knows his stuff will know that the grayish RLM76 is wrong.  I've got some Dave Platt advice that you never use color pictures in your documentation (probably to deal with this problem). So......

Alternative 1
Paint the model to match the color chips and use black and white photos and an excerpt from the NASM restoration write up describing the colors they used.

Alternative 2
Alter the paint to match the color photos and explain the difference between the chips and the model color as the desire to have the model match the pictures.

Alternative 3
Paint the model to match the chips, use the color photos and use the lighting argument to explain the difference in color between the model and the pictures.

Anybody have some advice on this.  I'm thinking I'm not the first guy with this problem.

Steve

--- End quote ---

Rule #1: Don't ask any questions until you have read the rule book frontwards, backwards, and upside down. Scale Rule 7.1.1.4. (pg 18 & 19) covers every question you posed. Read and digest this rule and you will know how to proceed. I think you will see that your #3 is the proper approach.

Hemi Steve:
Thanks for all of the good feedback. To be clear, I have read the rules and have highlighted and underlined the devil out of them.  Rule 7.1.1.4 describes a number of ways to document colors.  I have read many times, "don't confuse the judges". My question and the 3 alternatives that I proposed deal with how to not confuse the judges where I have certified color chips, color photos, b&w photos and written color descriptions from the restoration of the specific aircraft I am modeling.  I guess my intent wasn't so clear....

Steve   

Bob Heywood:
On the issue of not confusing the judges, you have to remember that the judges only have so much time to score a model. Your package has to be as clear and concise as possible. Based on what you have said, I would go with the color chips as your stated primary color reference. That is consistent with rule 7.1.1.4.1.a and 7.1.1.4.1.f. The color photos become a secondary reference, showing what colors go where. If you feel it's necessary, your written explanation may be used as additional supporting information to clarify any details not covered by the photos. Just keep the explanations brief and to the point.

Hemi Steve:
Thanks Bob
On the subject of time, generally how much time do the judges spend on an authentic scale model? Do they ask questions or just ask you to hold the model one way or another so they can see everything they want to look at?

Steve

Trostle:

--- Quote from: Hemi Steve on April 21, 2020, 02:22:59 PM ---Thanks Bob
On the subject of time, generally how much time do the judges spend on an authentic scale model? Do they ask questions or just ask you to hold the model one way or another so they can see everything they want to look at?

Steve

--- End quote ---

Judges should not ask questions to the builder during their judging process.  The only information that the builder provides is in the presentation material.

Keith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version