News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:29:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale dimensions  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Scale dimensions
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:03:47 AM »
How close are models held to sacle dimensions? If a horizontal stab is grossly oversized, would it be penalized in judging?

Or an airfoil not as the full size version of the represented airplane be penalized?

And how scale is scale? Are the models said to be of 1/10th scale for example, and then measured to 1/10th scale? Or as long as the proportions are correct, then the model is reguarded highly?

Just wondering?

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
Re: Scale dimensions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:42:26 AM »
Greg;
    The Models in sport and profile scale are judged from 15 feet. You provide in your documentation a 3-view, or an unpainted 1/72 plastic model. The judges then compare your airplane to the documentation you provided. They will judge how the outline and shape of features of your model compare to the documentation. They will reduce your score for things they notice like oversized tail feathers, landing gear in the wrong locations, and if your airfoil is grossly different. Example  a Cub with a fully symmetrical airfoil. You will also loose points for not having dihedral in your wing if the real one had dihedral. Hopefully Chuck will chime in here with more information.

Leroy

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »
Greg and Leroy,
I think I answered this post in a reply to your post about the P-51; I said the same things Leroy just did. For the most part there are no objective standards for scale judging, ie., 5% larger on the stab costs you 5 points. Standards vary from contest to contest. The job of the judge is to rank the models and assign a score that indicates how well a competitor created a miniature replica of a certain airplane. The better the models, the harder the judge has to look, and smaller mistakes or omissions get penalized. The scores you receive for a particular model will vary all over the map. One of the best ways to get better at scale modeling is to be a judge.
Chuck

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:39:55 PM »
Any time you put your pride and joy out for judging you may get your feeling hurt.  I once had some tell me that My Snoopy pilot in mt Eindecker was cute but that it detracted from the scale appearance of the model.  I am in this hobby to have fun so snoopy stays!!  Don't get me wrong it is fun to win, but I show up to have fun.  I am new to control line scale but in the RC world "Best Of Show" means big bucks spent + a 1000 hours of work.  SO my advice is read the rules, do the best you can but above all have fun.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »
to: #3, John Rist:

Funny, I never felt that way. I knew where all the faults were, the ones judges probably should ding, but apparently didn't. 

Now, their overall scores may be a bit humbling, but compared to what I, as builder, knew were flaws, still not heartbreaking.
\BEST\LOU

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 11:00:53 AM »
...but basically to the original question...

Most Scale scoresheets I've seen had a range of numbers regarding the various aspects judged.

A model of a prototype, which had a smallish tail on a longish arm from CG, is obviously not accurately scaled if it has a (relatively) gigantic tail on a shorter arm from CG  - as would be fitting for a Stunt/Scale model, where stuntability is more important than precise accuracy.

So, proportions take a hit in the score lines where they apply. A good job in representing the type and specific example modeled should be awarded appropriately for aspects which do apply.

The more popular current scale events don't involve micrometer comparisons. General, convincing representation of the type and example, done reasonably well should score reasonably. j1
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here