News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model Aviation Feb 2017 - why not to fly Sport Scale.  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Model Aviation Feb 2017 - why not to fly Sport Scale.
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
See page 112.

If you fly a model of a plane that had retracts and/or flaps you get a 1.5 point reduction if your model doesn't have either of these functions.  I guess you lose 3 points if you don't have either of them.

But even if you DO have gear and flaps, you still don't get full points unless your model duplicates the true operating sequence.

So, unless you want to invest a fortune on a really complex model, you better build a Shoestring or a WWI plane.

If you already have a B-17 or a B-29 or a C-121, just hang it up.
Paul Smith

Offline Rich Perry

• Commander
Re: Model Aviation Feb 2017 - why not to fly Sport Scale.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:49:22 PM »
When I was at the nationals in 2014, I entered RC expert scale.  I came in 6th, out of 12.  It was my first time, and I had a blast. Made great friends, and I learned a lot.

One of my fellow pilots (who is very prolific in Scale) I spoke with for quite a while told me one thing that will always stick. Build the plane you love, or one you are interested in. 

I love Fokkers.  I have a ton of documentation on them.  So, I am planning to have a Fokker DR1 ready for the 2017 Nats.  After scale, I will spend the week  flying CL combat. 

The bottom line: Don't get so serious.  The rules are fine. If you don't like it, don't fly it.   Then do all you can to support the class you love. The beginner classes are there to generate interest. Nothing more.  If the other classes decide they want to get static scored, then that is all the better.  Otherwise, go build something! 

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
I agree.  If you don't like the rules, don't fly the event.

At the same time, don't forget to tell the rules-manipulators why you don't fly it.

Otherwise they won't comprehend why people don't enter a "sport" event that has been migrated to expert status.

At this point the rules might as well say "electrics only".  But they still want entry fees from piston engine owners who haven't figured out what them.
Paul Smith

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
Mark,

to answer some of your questions...

Scale speed of retracts, I don't think the judges will know how the full size retracts the gear. if you fly with the electric retracts the speed will look great. they are looking for the operation of the gear and how it works, not so much on how fast the gear retracts. if you had air retracts that snapped up that might not look real good

flaps are a great option and are cheap in that if you have a servo you are set and they are not expensive. you can get servo speed reducers so that they come down slowly. the judges are looking for that you lower the flaps at the right time. in other words slow down from cruise, 1/2 flaps, lower the gear, slow down some more, put full flaps and then land. dropping full flaps at full speed and dropping the gear at the same time would get a lower score.

the 1/8 scale hellcat is a great idea, just make sure you fly it like the full size. for example when I takeoff with the B-29 I do a long takeoff run and climb out very very slowly just like the real one.  A fighter like the hellcatcat can get away with a shorter and steeper take off run. I have enough power in the b29 I could roll a 1/3 of a lap and climb out like a fighter but that does not look right.

the rules changes are proposals that submitted by any AMA member and voted on by the CL scale board.

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »
I don't understand why the originator of this thread is so set on claiming there are rules manipulators.  And, he gets his objections of things wrong as to how they effect the scoring, and is basically off base with both his accusations and interpretations 90% of the time.
I was on the committee that did the major rewrite of the scale rules and can assure everyone that there was no bias to create advantages by any on the committee.  We also had some very prominent competitors set in at the next to final meeting at the Toledo show and they were, to a person, well pleased.  We incorporated some of their suggestions, and saw no manipulation as Paul accuses us of.  Heck, I had no skin in the scoring game, I don't even fly scale any more, I just like to judge and was chief flight judge at the nats a few times.  I think he needs to just leave scale alone if he's so blasted unhappy that he has to make FALSE accusations in order to try and score better.  Build the doggone airplane, bring good documentation, fly it well, and shut up.  HB~>
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here