News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scale(ish) FW-190 D9  (Read 3965 times)

Tom Vieira

• Trade Count: (0)
Scale(ish) FW-190 D9
« on: September 26, 2018, 06:41:27 AM »
I've gone and done it....

I took my best stab at creating a BOM for the David McClellan FW-190 scratch build from the May 1980 MAN issue....  My wallet is currently crying at the wood bill, but hopefully I bought wwwaaaaayyyy too much rather than too little!

we'll see how this turns out.  first stab at scratch building, and first stab at a molded fuse.  dun dun duuuuuuuuuunnnn.......

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5011

if anyone has built this model, any and all tips appreciated!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Scale(ish) FW-190 D9
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 07:41:57 AM »
I've gone and done it....

I took my best stab at creating a BOM for the David McClellan FW-190 scratch build from the May 1980 MAN issue....  My wallet is currently crying at the wood bill, but hopefully I bought wwwaaaaayyyy too much rather than too little!

we'll see how this turns out.  first stab at scratch building, and first stab at a molded fuse.  dun dun duuuuuuuuuunnnn.......

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5011

if anyone has built this model, any and all tips appreciated!

T.J.

Wow! You're beating me to it!

Electric or IC?

There were comments on this model a few years ago. You made the correct choice.

I have this model on my bucket list. Not at the top, but still on the list.

"Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Can't wait for the Build!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:00:06 AM »
Thanks!

It'll be an IC build.  I just love the sound and smell...  The mess, not so much.  But, everything is a compromise!  It'll likely have an OS46AXII in the nose (as I already have one in my stash).

We'll see what happens....!  my flying skills are no where near being able to wring this thing out, but hopefully by the time it's done my skills will be ready!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
T J, I will be watching this build. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
John, should I be scared?   LL~

waiting on shipping notification on my wood...

I might start tracing patterns for everything tonight while enjoying a brew and some 'Flix.  That's only if my "Project Manager/Quality Control Engineer" Lucy will let me!  hahahaha.  She still has all of the puppy energy even at 2.5 years old and can be quite demanding for attention in the way of either getting in the middle of what you're trying to do or by causing mayhem.

Much like a toddler, if she's silent and you can't see her, she's causing trouble.....

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:21:04 AM »
That sounds familiar.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »
Al Rabe has an excellent video on making molded fuselages (and other things), as well as a video on making shock absorbing landing gear.  I believe these videos are now available on YouTube. H^^  Good luck with you project, it looks to be a real corker!
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Tom Vieira

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »
Hi Glenn!

I've been studying his videos on the 'Tube for the last week while waiting for my wood to ship :) we'll see how this one turns out!  I do kinda like is jig setup for the fuse formers, I may hack something together for that!  Still waiting for National Balsa to ship my wood...  they said hopefully today it'll ship.   We'll see...!

I spent the weekend wrapping up the wing on my FliteStreak kit from Stan.  I figured a profile fuse and tail can be banged out pretty easy, but leaving a half completed wing off to the side just wasn't too smart!  It might be time to start tracing out parts, and head over to my dad's house to abscond with his small bandsaw ;)

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »
Joe Hildreth has a couple of threads on his build of the McClellan FW 190. Very interesting, and he does excellent work.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 05:37:25 AM »
Hi Bill!

I had stumbled across his build where he was attempting to design a kit for it, however, after a PM, it appears he never finished it.  But, it was a good read!  do you have any more links to those threads I may have missed, or didn't search with the correct terms?

Tom Vieira

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 05:38:35 AM »
Oh yeah!

my wood shipped yesterday :)  GAME TIME!

Tom Vieira

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 06:05:42 AM »
My wood pile came last night!

time to get to work!

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 07:26:04 PM »
Hi Bill!

I had stumbled across his build where he was attempting to design a kit for it, however, after a PM, it appears he never finished it.  But, it was a good read!  do you have any more links to those threads I may have missed, or didn't search with the correct terms?

We had our club meeting tonight. Joe's had a bit of a crashing spell lately, and the Focke Wulf's been bumped to the back of the line while he tries to keep his current fleet in the air. I promise it will be worth the wait!

BB

Tom Vieira

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 06:11:09 AM »

We had our club meeting tonight. Joe's had a bit of a crashing spell lately, and the Focke Wulf's been bumped to the back of the line while he tries to keep his current fleet in the air. I promise it will be worth the wait!

BB

we all run in to those  ;)

he did answer, and promised updates when get gets back around to it.  in the meantime, I need to get my butt in gear and start tracing and cutting!

Tom Vieira

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 06:35:08 AM »
Sorry guys, been trying to get this off my building board before I go to town on the 190.  First time playing with polyspan from Tom.  cool stuff!  I was out in the garage laying down the tissue and doping for about 5 hours with the garage door closed.  I still smell like dope  n~  i'll sand the excess tissue off tonight maybe (depends how long a rehearsal dinner takes...)

I have a wedding this weekend and a funfly on sunday.  Hopefully i'll get going on the 190 early next week!

Tom Vieira

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 06:46:01 AM »
my abomination of a flite streak is done....

Tom Vieira

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 06:49:10 AM »
....which means cleaned up work bench!  and the prints rolled out!  these are ones from outerzone I plotted at work.  I have a "real" set I purchased from AirAge/MAN to compare with to make sure the scaling was correct.  If everything is good, they'll be posted to the wall, so the "freebie" is the one that risks getting beat up during this endeavor.

in the back left are actually telescope mirror making parts.  another project that has been lost to time.  we'll see if that ever gets finish ground!  for now, they make super handy weights!

Tom Vieira

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »
let's hope this pile of wood turns in to something beautiful!  I'm not the best carpenter...

the bundles right on top are what I got from National Balsa.  the rest of that pile I got in a recent trade for a couple of Great Planes kits.  There's a bunch of everything in there from sheets to sticks to aileron stock to ply to....

enough I probably won't need to buy any kits for a while!  maybe I should rebuild the SkyRay and Galaxy I stuffed in to the circle earlier this year.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
Well by the time you get that pile sorted out you may have enough to start the plane part cutting. LL~ LL~

Keep us posted. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Tom Vieira

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
cutting should be starting within the next day or two!  tonight is field night, so nothing is going to happen other than figuring out every little flaw in the 'streak ;)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
David Rolands FW. I remember the first and only time I got to visit his shop and seen this plane barebones. He was one heck of a builder and I miss him. Sorry I have no further info in this plane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Tom Vieira

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 06:01:22 AM »
That certainly is a beautiful ship!

We'll see if I can pump out something respectable, I am by no means a master builder, and this project is a huge stretch for my skill set ;)  BUT, the only way to get better is to push yourself out of your comfort zone, right?  Hm...  maybe I should listen to that advice when flying...

I spent last night starting to weigh out and sort some wood.  Tonight, I'll be picking up a small bandsaw from my father's house and tracing some patterns.  Article has you starting with the fuse, but I may actually start with the tail feathers for some "semi-immediate" gratification.  My girlfriend leaves for a work trip Sunday morning and won't be back until Thursday.  We'll see how much balsa dust I can make in a week!

Tom Vieira

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »
so, this build is on a "temporary hold".  For those of you on FB, you've seen me starting a scratch build super combat streak.  I've NEVER scratch built a plane, so I figured starting off a wee bit easier may be smart.

fuse is 1/4 done on the streak.  maybe i'll be done with it in a week or so.  or maybe I'm just being a chicken s#!t....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here