News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:45:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rules/Judging Question  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rules/Judging Question
« on: June 01, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »
I'm building a profile, with 2.4GHz radio for throttle.

I decided that rather than burying the radio in the wing, I'm going to build a radio box for the thing that looks like a squashed version of the left half of the cowl.

How will the fact that it's squashed affect my score?  I see "...inaccuracies in fuselage/nacelle widths will not result in
point reduction for Accuracy of Outline." -- but are there other things that a judge might pick up on that would make it worse than making the thing look like a more traditional profile?

Post showing bare-wood "cowl" is right here.

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rules/Judging Question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »
Your question is in regard the the AMA CL Profile Scale rules.

Paragraph 5.2.  Profile Fuselages   "...The maximum width of the reinforced fuselage and/or nacelle of horizontally mounted engine(s) wll be one and one half (1.50) inches."

If your fuselage is more than "1.50 inches" wide, it does not qualify as a profile model.  You should build accordingly.

Keith

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:16:14 PM »
Your question is in regard the the AMA CL Profile Scale rules.

Paragraph 5.2.  Profile Fuselages   "...The maximum width of the reinforced fuselage and/or nacelle of horizontally mounted engine(s) wll be one and one half (1.50) inches."

If your fuselage is more than "1.50 inches" wide, it does not qualify as a profile model.  You should build accordingly.

Keith

Thanks.  I'm going to review that.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »
Argh.  I guess I'm putting the radio into the wing.  It's not the easiest spot, but it'll work.  Had I noticed that before, it would have been easier -- cest la vie.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
And thank you.  I wish someone had pointed this out in the build thread, but, cest la vie.
AMA 64232

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »
You can hide a lot in the fuselage and wing, I have a new profile being built with lots of stuff inside the built up profile fuselage. I build a 7/8" thick wide stick structure for the fuselage then put 1/16 sheeting on both sides. Then I can put all sorts of things inside the fuselage including recievers and the NiCad batteries.

I take 1/2" sheet balsa and cut sticks from it on the table saw to make 7/8" x 1/2" sticks for the built up fuselage. And once you skin both sides of that fuselage you don't need any doublers because the stick structure and the skins are stiff enough even with a engine on the nose. I fiberglass my models so they really have no problem being stiff enough, the figerglass skin on the left and right side stiffen up the profile fuselage even more.

Remember to run the wires before it's all sheeted or covered that go between two items such as the receiver and the servo or other item.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 07:19:50 PM »
In my opinion, profile models are EXPECTED to have engines, fuel tanks, etc mounted on the outside.

If I were judging Profile Scale I would not give ANY bonus to a model that somehow buried the gizmos internally.  I would be tempted to downgrade a model that exceeded the profile limits to effectively make a cheater  fuselage.

On the other hand, in Sport Scale, I would expect everything to be internal and reward those who are able to bury everything.

That's why we have Sport & Profile. 
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
Well,

You could make that model a full fuselage model.

You do have the ability to do it.

And it would be such a sweetheart.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 05:08:03 PM »
Is it gas or electric?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 05:18:51 PM »
AMA 64232

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »
The rules only state the maximum thickness of the fuselage and the forward part of the naccelles or fuselage, so having said that it does not mandate what is expected to be on the outside of the model or not on the outside. Technology moves on so we figure out better ways to building the models over time that go against the traditional ways of building a model. I haven't built a profile using the traditional 1/2" thick balsa with doublers for probably over 20 years. Nobody seem to notice or even care I just know that they are stiffer and lighter than the traditional way of building the model.

Frank Beatty once told me one time he was told he was building "Giant scale" because he made the model bigger to  accommodate the engine, fuel tank and 3-line bellcrank. At that time the 3-line bellcrank was new and engines were getting bigger and they had separate fuel tanks. So builders and designers had to adapt to the new engines and could build bigger. Oh by the way the giant scale model was about a 45" span, keep in mind in the early days the models were quite small (maybe 30" maximum span) because the engines were smaller in those days.

I wonder what they would have thought of my 96" span B-29 with electric power and RC controls? The B-29 has all of the wiring hidden inside the hollow structure of the nacelles and fuselage to improve the appearance.

When glow replaced ignition engines modelers probably thought the world was coming to an end

When Four strokes came in people had to get use to the new technology

When electric became mainstream it caused people to re-think the configuration of the control line model

I have have not used the traditional ways of building, painting or controlling the throttle and other features for over 29 years. That includes fiberglass, not using dope and elecronics controls, and 2.4 Ghz. I still follow the rules as written.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here