News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rule changes: Tucson's 1cc Multi-Engine Profile Scale meet  (Read 661 times)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rule changes: Tucson's 1cc Multi-Engine Profile Scale meet
« on: November 28, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
For the 7th Annual (Oct. 2013 dates pending) the following rule changes will be in effect.  Please note that these changes apply ONLY to the Tucson event, and have no bearing on similar events held in St. Louis, the Nats or elsewhere.

* In order to accommodate designs with engines having flat, horizontally-opposed cylinders (e.g., Beech Baron, Cessna 310/320/340 series, et al.) the current width limit on nacelles is rescinded.  While the maximum FUSELAGE width remains at one inch (1") we will now allow engine nacelles/cowlings of any width.  

* All engines must be running at launch.

* Flight becomes official when model completes one airborne lap with all engines running.  If an engine stops before completing one airborne lap, the flight will be charged as an attempt.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:32:25 AM by Mike Keville »
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rule changes: Tucson's 1cc Multi-Engine Profile Scale meet
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
Please note addition to para. 2 whereby ENGINES MUST BE EXPOSED.

OK Mike, I think I understand what you REALLY intend with this.  But for the true purist scale modeler who is a word smith that might get hung up on what is allowed in Class C contests, you might want to more clearly define what is meant by an engine that "MUST BE EXPOSED".    I am hoping that an engine that has its cylinder "exposed" is compliant with your rule.  If the engines have mounting lugs (Norvels and Wasps and Cox TD's), if they are visible from some perspective, I am hoping that such will be compliant with your rule. 

But if words are used that just the cylinder must be exposed, what is defined as a cylinder and what part of the crankcase is not the cylinder.  The reason I ask is that I have several projects lined up that have engine nacelles that are less than 1.5 inch wide and/or diameter.  That means that the portion of the engine that will be inside that 1.5 inch diameter would not necessarily be "EXPOSED" but would still be compliant with the allowed maximum cowl width of 1.5 inches.  ((In fact, I already have a 1/2A multi engine scale model where the nose on one of the engines is only 1.5 inches wide, the engine is side mounted, and from the side, the entire crankcase/cylinder and mounting lugs are visible, but part of the nose fairing over the engine as in a cowl (and within the 1.5" allowed maximum) covers the mounting lugs and a portion of the upper part of the crankcase).

Another situation for consideration is that given the size and power of these engines that can be used for 1/2A multi-engine scale, a scale subject could be chosen and built to a scale, particularly an aircraft with large radial engines, where the scale model would have say a 3 inch diameter cowl and could possibly house an engine with only the top fins of the glow head "exposed".  From the front of the cowl, however, the engine could be considered to be completely exposed.

And is there a need to address if the bottom side of an engine crankcase must also be "exposed"?

"Exposed" is an interesting word.

bared, unprotected, uncovered, visible, showing, open, wide-open, out in the open, open to the elements

Just wondering.

Keith
(An interested 1/2A multi-engine profile scale enthusiast)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
The thought here being applicable to those horizontally-opposed cylinder designs (C-310, etc.) that I'd mentioned in the first place.  Nacelles/cowlings of scale-like WIDTH will be permitted, though without fully cowled engines.  All I'm asking is that the cylinder head, venturi, and possibly beam mounts, be exposed rather than completely hidden.

This is really getting out-of-hand.  All we wish to do is allow the entry of designs formerly bypassed because of the shape of their nacelles.   Maybe I need to make some drawings.....or just abandon the event entirely.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:19 AM »
Having thought it over, just disregard that line about "engines must be exposed".  Too much confusion there.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:30:35 PM »
I like all of the new rules, and so does Michael. We're going to be there this year.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here