News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:52:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Retracts for a 1/8" scale Hellcat?  (Read 1735 times)

Mark Romanowitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Retracts for a 1/8" scale Hellcat?
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »
 I found a set of Brian Taylor plans for a 1/8th scale F6F-5 Hellcat, 1/8" scale. There is no provision in the plans for retracts, however. Aside from making my own, does anyone sell retracts in this scale that would work? I know in Sport Scale if the plane had retracts and your model doesn't you get dinged a good bit.

I'm not new to modeling just new to scale, but retracts are something I never paid much attention to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Retracts for a 1/8" scale Hellcat?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:21:53 AM »
I found a set of Brian Taylor plans for a 1/8th scale F6F-5 Hellcat, 1/8" scale. There is no provision in the plans for retracts, however. Aside from making my own, does anyone sell retracts in this scale that would work? I know in Sport Scale if the plane had retracts and your model doesn't you get dinged a good bit.

I'm not new to modeling just new to scale, but retracts are something I never paid much attention to.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Mark,

What is the span and a guess at the weight when finished?

I still have some retracts, NIB and used from my R/C days. However, today's stuff is mostly electric and obviously, improvements have been made.

Brand new and current retracts might be the way to go, but the old stuff did work.

CB

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
Mark, here is one option: go to sierragiant.com and scroll down to find the "60 size rotating retract." I was not able to successfully post a link. Sierra has a very good reputation. There are some R/C ARF Hellcats, Corsairs, and P-40's available. Good chance you could adapt any of these units. The importers often stock replacement parts. Mr. google can probably help you out. For the tailwheel, the Robart small unit should work. I used it on the Top Flite Gold P-40 I flew in C/L scale. Model now hangs in the atrium of the local Jr. High.

I have had a couple sets of retracts from Century Jet (one was rotating in the size you need); I won't ever buy any again.

Excellent choice on the BT F-6-F.

Chuck

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
Mark, I looked at Robart again; they have retracts for the Top Flite 60 size Corsair and P-40 (actually the same unit).
Chuck

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:53:36 PM »
If F6F retracts seem daunting you could always build an F4F :)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
Mark,

I have no rotating retracts.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »
Robart claims to have a huge selection of all styles of retracts now.  They include the servos & brakes.  Four bolts. One wire. 30 points on your flying score.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here