News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Retracts  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Retracts
« on: January 22, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
Hi All,

Many years ago, Carl Goldberg models developed a retract control system that used the throttle push rod to drive a servo to operate the retracts.

Would this be acceptable for use under the AMA rules?  There was a limit switch that you adjusted to power the servo.  Low throttle lowered the gear and, of course, you set the limits to raise the gear under high throttle setting.

I am going with a three line system (I have it, and don't have the spare money to get into a full blown electric system right now), and this would be something I can use since I have a new set of this.

Also, I believe the flaps have to be independently controlled. (??) Is there a way to do this on three line that I can understand?

Thanks!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Retracts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:24:44 PM »
Bill,
I have every reason to believe the Goldberg system would be "legal" to use. I had one of those, maybe I still have it somewhere in the bottom of a box, but expect it could be tricky to set up. As it comes out of the box it operates at full high and full low throttle--lowering the gear could also cause the engine to shut down. You might want to try putting a couple cams on the throttle push rod to make the switches at something other than full throw.

Once upon a time I built a mechanical escapement system that indexed each time I went to full throttle to get retracts and electric motor driven flaps. Even though it worked on the bench I never did fly it because I was worried about the lack of reliability and the requirement to do things in the pre-programmed sequence. That's when I got my first electronic system.

I suspect people have operated flaps and other stuff with a fourth line with them spring loaded in the up position. Don't know of anyone who has done that reliably though.

My first experience with retracts was not pleasant. It was a 60 size Royal FW-190 converted to C/L. The first time I tried to retract the gear the outboard leg would not retract-that's when I remembered that that leg has to work against centrifugal force too. ~^ Well I said to myself--lower the gear and land :!. Fine except the inboard leg would not come down because now centrifugal force was holding it up! '' I have blotted out of my memory whatever happened when that overweight bird came down on on wheel. I eventually got the gear to sorta work with extra pneumatic cylinders and a big balance spring. The moral of the story--make sure the Goldberg system has enough power to lift your gear if your gear folds inward like on the 190.

I guess I wasn't much help was I.

Chuck

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 09:56:08 PM »
Yes, Chuck, you gave me a lot of great help!  The actual retract system and the problems of centrifugal force is something that takes a lot of consideration, and I had not visitesd that part of the problem!

Having spent 40 plus years flying stnut and general C/L, I am wary of Scale.  Not from a building or flying standpoint, but from a KNOWLEDGE standpoint!  The key to any evnt is "knowing".  And at my advancing age, I don't feel that a LOT of years can be spent on the "education". ;D

A good friend is a member of the US C/L Scale team.  He kinda takes for granted a lot of stuff since he has been at it for a long time.  I wish I had his "knowledge" of the event, I wouldn't feel as apprehensive about it. ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 06:04:13 AM »
I hear you Bill. I consider Dale to be a friend too. You can read all the stuff and ask questions, but you never really find out what works in any event until you jump in and try it. Even though I had been flying R/C scale before I got into C/L scale and had some "experience" my first couple models didn't get very many trophies, but I sure learned a lot. There is a guy in my R/C club who has been working on his first competition model for years and doing lots of extra work. It is an impressive model and he is rightfully very proud of it. But I fear he will be disappointed if he goes to a contest because he has spent his time on stuff that doesn't matter in competition like a detailed interior. At the same time the model designer took some liberties with the scale outline that could be severely downgraded in the static judging. Sure has all the makings for another modeler lost to competition. At least in R/C he can take it to warbird flyins where the neat stuff will be appreciated. This is the internet so you get free advice and opinions which are usually worth what you pay for them mw~. I would not try to build a "world beater" for my first scale model (or stunt model for that matter). Decide to be in the event for the long run and start with something you consider to be a learning experience. Then go out there and have fun with the like-minded neat guys you meet.
Chuck

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »
Chuck and Bill,
                   I had problems until I discovered a method to make the centrifugal force help in both directions.
On my B24 I had both of the pushrods to each gear attached to a "T" shaped bellcrank. The rods to the gear were attached to the top of the "T" and the power jack screw was pushing on the bottom of the "T". Because the rods were attached on one side for on gear and the other side for the other gear. the centrifugal force acted to neutralize the force. Its like +power on one side and -power on the other. They equal out. The B24 had 4" wheels on gear that was 6" long. It worked perfectly. At the worlds in Kiev in 1988, when I retracted the gear the crowed noise was "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!" I heard it and was quite pleased. The nose gear had it's own servo.

dick

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 05:18:19 AM »
The Goldberg system has always interested me, although I've never seen one in person.

It seems to me that you could trigger it any way you want. 

For example,  have "Gear UP" activated by a shot of "Up elevator", and "Gear Down" triggered by a dose of "down elevator".   Just like the fuel shutoff on a racer.  Might take abit of finesse, but you could learn to live with it.

That way, a second Goldberg system could be tied into the flaps, actuated by the extremes of throttle travel.

That few too many servos and batteries for me, but still only 3 lines. 
Paul Smith

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 01:01:17 PM »
Bill,

Back in the late-1960's I kit-bashed a green box Nobler to look like a Dewoitine D-520 French WW2 fighter, with inward-moving, wing-mounted retracts.

Switch setup was like a 'hallway two switch for one light' system, tripped by - as Paul suggests - a blip of extreme elevator control. Fully retracted, a servo arm switched the system to ready to extend. Gear down switch (other side of a DPDT, actually) was tripped by a blip of extreme elevator. So's I could remember it, Gear Up was a blip of extreme UP elevator, and vice versa.

There were no buffed out gorilla servos back then, so I added a gear to a World Engines S-4 (standard size) servo. Somewhat fragile, but the operating speed was more realsitic, and there was adequate grunt. Like Dick B, I had the centrifugal force help some. The CG retracts - hogged out with a Dremel to about 1/3rd of stock weight - had adjustable balance springs to help lift heavy wheels. Strategically placed 'over-center' arangement... it worked.

I realized the centrifugal problem, so set the balance springs with the model held - guess what? - wings vertical, outboard tip down.

The system worked, but there was always a question of whether it would or not... Plane ended its service one day when I hung the lines over the back of the handle on the down-blip to lower gear. Went straight in, to the wing root, and about the time it stopped, from the handle, I heard the click-wheeeeeep-click as the gear came down and locked.

That'll teach ya... But it sure looked great going through the pattern with the wheels tucked away!!
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »
Thanks fellas,

Lou, I am looking to use them on a "Sport Scale", probably a Jemco FW-190.  So "aerobatics" will be somewhat limited. ;D

I have found out that Sir Charles of Reeves has built one of these kits into a Sport Scale contest plane.  I plan on bending his ear for a while, soon!

Man, getting into Scale is going to be fun, I can tell!!!!! **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »
Agree,

Scale can be 'fun.' ...Including the sense that there's a lot of enjoyment in researching a specific airplane as a subject, then documenting the details, then figuring out how to represent them (at the level of the event - stand-off judging? Fine tooth comb? limitations due to profile fuse? So much else...)

The only thing that doesn't really grab me about flying CL Scale is the comparative limits of flyability. Sure: fast, slow, throttle, in-air 'functions', touch-and-go, taxi laps, shut-down on command... But the proportions of people-carrying planes don't always make for great, or enjoyable, CL flight. Also, their flying envelope is so much more marginal than we're used to with sport or contest CL models.

Scale CL is primarily right-side up for several reasons. 3-lines don't make consecutive maneuvers much fun, for one. The proportions, as above, another. These can make the models skittish. Have you seen the videos of the RC Scale B52? In one there was a reasonable flight from TO to landing, but the thing wallowed around like an RC trainer. NOT B52-like! The other video is its crash. Well, the plume of smoke looked realistic from far across the field. That model had EIGHT big model turbojets! Small fortune, there, just a project to see if it could be done - a question that wasn't answered nicely...

Perhaps I recall several contests 25 and more years ago, where I saw beautifully executed scale CL models that were too little flown in practice, and got outside their envelope in the first few laps. The crashes were not particularly 'realistic' either... And they didn't score well.

Sport-type scale lets us fly the models much more, so that's a thing of the past - if we keep it in mind. The workmanship is a wonderfully challenging, frustrating thing, and when it flies, there's gratification. Small details that "make" the model can be fragile, can come off in frequent flying - another compromise to settle.

But, I'll be back into some level of scale. Keville's 1/2A multi profile idea is just too tempting... As my Dewoitine D-520 story suggests, I like to tinker. CLPA is pretty well settled in terms of equipment functions, and there's a lot of tinker room in Scale...

Guess I'll have to color code my lines - didn't on a few throttled sport model efforts. Flying alone much of the time, I got a lot of walking in, getting the three sorted out... Was dabbling in Carrier at the time, too...

Just about everything CL is great, because it isn't easy. Achieving success to a degree almost always reminds us we can do even better. If it doesn't, things can get boring. Why be bored? Go for the challenge! Well, flying flat and round and round and round without a specific purpose or standard to master can get dull. So race! Or stunt! Or chase streamers! Hi-Lo-Landing! Speed! Scale! Or just tie knots in the sky...  And, you seldom meet as nice a group of people.

It is a given that we have to trust someone to launch for us, and to be sure of that, we have to be trustworthy enough to launch his/her/their models. Makes for getting along real well. (That's my old riff: This mutual trust applies, unless your arms are 60'-plus long. But, then you don't even need lines...)
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here