News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS MAX 55AX ?  (Read 627 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS MAX 55AX ?
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with the OS MAX 55AX in a scale ship?  Per the specifications it appears to be a barn burner for it's size.  Question:  Does it idle well and have a good mid range?  Because it's an OS Max I am guessing it is all good.  But what say you?

???  ???  ???      D>K   D>K   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: OS MAX 55AX ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:18:30 AM »
John
I have no direct experience but looking at the OS data I have it should be useable.

Size wise it is the same as the OS 40 & 46 FX, 46 AX and 50 SX.  All are BB engines so will be an ounce or two heaver than comparable displacement plain bearing engines.

It was introduced in 2006 so it is a "New" engine. 

Clancy

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:14:41 PM »
Hi John,
I bought one for my current model under construction and haven't run it yet. However, I have been flying a new ship with the OS 46 AX and have about one gallon through it. After the first run it would idle so low that I can make the model sit still while I walk to the pilot station. It's a Kaos on old Dubros with brass tube bushings so it rolls well and quietly, no brakes, and on pavement. It idles really slowly!
I have not turned the low speed at all since i first ran the engine. I would assume that the 55 will perform the same way. I sure hpe it does as it's in my next Kaos.
Chris...

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:19:28 PM »
John
I have no direct experience but looking at the OS data I have it should be useable.

Size wise it is the same as the OS 40 & 46 FX, 46 AX and 50 SX.  All are BB engines so will be an ounce or two heaver than comparable displacement plain bearing engines.

It was introduced in 2006 so it is a "New" engine. 

Clancy

The weight is no problem.  Its going in a converted RC scale ship.  It's been my experience that converted RC platforms tend to be tail heavy.  This partially because Control Line ships need the CG forward of the RC location.  Anyway she puts out 1.75 HP.  Not bad for a .55 engine.  I was considering a LA 65.  Weighs a lot more and puts out the same HP.  The other thing I like about it is that it doesn't have a remote NVA.  It's been my experience that a remote NVA makes the engine hard to start.  Also a good idle is very important.  This video was impressive to me.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmMGZFbB6rU&NR=1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »

"This partially because Control Line ships need the CG forward of the RC location." 

I'm odd man out again. This was not the case for the 4 models I have converted. All balanced per the R/C plans and flew well, or are still flying well.

Chuck

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
 "This partially because Control Line ships need the CG forward of the RC location." 

I'm odd man out again. This was not the case for the 4 models I have converted. All balanced per the R/C plans and flew well, or are still flying well.

Chuck

Agreed! But by no means do you want a tail heavy Control Line model.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:49:11 PM »
Jenny is balanced exactly on the R/C CG location.

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here