News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RAF shades .  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
RAF shades .
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:53:39 AM »
http://www.banksofthesusquehanna.com/Color_Charts/UK_colors.htm

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/the-very-high-flying-prince.html

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/paint/hataka/paint_hataka_as23.shtml

Researching this tripe , pretty sure Sydney Cotton wasnt pink , Therefore we'll take the Princes word on it . As Camotint Green is rather close to Cambridge Blue , which is Green .

So if you want a pale green Spitfire , you should be right at home . Generally the Era difines the paint available /
Turns out the prototype ( No 1 - K 5084 ) was a Naval Colour *. Being SUPERMARINE ( Flying Boats ) so this fits in nicely .  LL~ S?P

( saves sending a P M to myself , for the record . )

PINK , I mean to say , who do they think theyre kidding . Originally it was promolgated that it was High altitude Middle East Recon Spits that colour , as it was sunny .
Some souped up locally Mk V high altitude intercepters down that way in the early days to .

Mechanics & ground crew were as im portant as the aircraft . A good polish was worth a good 5 mph too . Thats why my cars 10 mph faster after a wash n wax .  ;D

H^^

* (There was tripe somewhere that specified it was recognised as being between two german green/greys . As they didnt use german paint ,
and the Naval Colour , on the charts , is between the two german greys , the logical presumption was that the colour , that was used by Supermarine ,
just might have been used . As it matched , and they had some . Cant find the ref: just at this moment. )
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:17:31 AM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: RAF shades .
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:18:36 PM »
Some V high quality Spitfire Picyures : https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/spitfire2/

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
Found some more tripe on this . Model is antique .

Having consulted with Scotland Yard , Sherlock Holmes , and a few other things , ' We ' Belive THIS is Genuine R A F Paint . Camotint Green.
The SAME PAINT indeed as the Aeroplane , perhaps even from the SAME CAN .

As youll note , the Roundel Paint even seems authentic . Where Else would they get it , Being the Head honcho in That Dept .

PR Mk1a Spitfire

Correspondent Brian Robertson has kindly offered the following (Dec 2010):

"I was fascinated by your page on Woodason, a man I had never heard of before. However I have been researching a family member who flew in the RAF during the war, Maurice 'Shorty' Longbottom. He was with the Heston Flight from Autumn 1939 through to Autumn 1940. He devised the principle of using unarmed fighter aircraft for reconnaissance to out fly enemy aircraft rather than using bombers, such as Blenheims. In November 1939 he flew a reconnaissance flight from France over Germany in a Spitfire PR1A (N3071) - this was the first operational flight for a PR Spitfire and indeed the first operational flight for any Spitfire outside the UK.

"Once back at Heston he had a model made of this historic aircraft for which he reported to his wife he had paid £5. A picture of the model is attached - it is beautifully made and even includes the blister in the Perspex canopy devised by his commander, Cotton, to allow the pilots to see below them. From your text it seems quite likely that Woodason's team would have made this model - do you have a view on this?

Longbottom's PR Mk1a Spitfire 3071.
While the fighter versions of the Spitfire stayed in Britain, the first PR missions were flown from bases in France by Cotton's unit which was renamed "No. 2 Camouflage Unit". The first RAF high- speed, high-altitude photo-reconnaissance mission of the war took place on 18 November 1939 when Flt. Lt. "Shorty" Longbottom took off from Seclin and attempted to photograph Aachen from 33,000 ft.

Information on the photo Spitfires may be found at airrecce. Use the back arrow to return.

Longbottom was better known for his role with the Dambusters team. He flew on the practice runs and was the trusted colleague of Barnes Wallis who invented the famous explosive device. On May 13, 1943 he recorded in his logbook in red ink the first live drop of the bouncing bomb 'Upkeep' - just three days before the daring raid over the Ruhr dams in Germany. Although he didn't fly on the Dambusters mission itself, Longbottom's importance was summed up by Barnes Wallis in a letter of condolence he wrote to the pilot's widow Linda. In it he said:

"We all were devoted to your husband, as I expect you know, but perhaps there was a specially close link between him and me, for he was so ready and willing to talk over technical problems and we had many discussions together.

"He was the only one of our pilots with whom one could really plunge into the future, & I miss my contact with him very very greatly."

From halfway through here : http://collectair.org/woodason.html

The sites essentially Old Model Aircraft . !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:16:18 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 05:49:37 AM »
I want some British sunglasses
Paul Smith

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 12:02:38 AM »

Thought it might be worth throwing these on here .

Thats the ' H F ' extended wing , from which the late square tip wing is derived .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here