News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question for Fred C  (Read 684 times)

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Question for Fred C
« on: March 31, 2023, 04:26:29 PM »
My question is has anyone used the  foam RC Scale model electrics for Fun Scale. There is a Corsair made by Hobby King that is only $150 shipped I think it is only 30" span though. It appears the best model would be the E Flite T-28 1.1 m= 44" ?????? I am a very, very slow builder and would like to have an electric plane with 2.4 to practice taxi etc .

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Question for Fred C
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 06:37:01 AM »
The answer is yes, the Bearcat that was in the last column (flown by Pete Mazur) was a foam ARF model.

There are several things to check out for picking one

1) check out what the inside of the fuselage looks like, so that you can mount a bellcrank
2) Some of the ARF's now have the servos for the elevator at the aft part of the fuselage, making it very difficult to route a pushrod thru the fuselage
3) I would suggest to a larger one - 55" or larger, they fly better
4) also look at the balsa ARF's with iron-on covering, they can be repaired and recovered if needed. VQ warbirds has a good selection of models like this
5) Keep the model a take-apart, it will make it easier to transport and get access to the bellcrank and the radio gear
Hope this helps
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 12:28:44 PM »
I bought this E-flite foam ARF used at a swap meet and converted it to CL, the fuselage is hollow so I could route a pushrod to the elevator. The model came with electric retracts, flap and the Lipo slides in a slot forward of the bellcrank

This model flies ok but does not have the best ground handling characteristics. Any damage to the foam is difficult to fix and not sure I can match the paint color later if needed
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 12:32:51 PM »
I am currently converting this VQ warbirds Baron (no longer available) to CL. I have not installed the bellcrank yet but the wood structure is much easier to deal with an modify as compared to the foam airplanes.

also having a nose wheel this model will handle really nice on the ground. This model has two E-flite E-32 motors, the batteries and the speed controls will be in the fuselage.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 12:41:38 PM »
Before you buy make sure you have room inside the fuselage to add the bellcrank and route the pushrod back to the elevator. I like to fly larger models compared to smaller models mostly because larger models handle the wind better and can tolerate higher wing loadings (ounces per sq foot).

The 1/4 scale Morrisey Bravo that I built (16lbs) is the heaviest model that flew on a regular basis. If flew Grant Hiestands 20 lb Spacewalker. The 14 lb B-29 and other models that come in at 9 or 12 lbs don't concern me. With an adjustable line guide you can put in the right amount of line rake to maintain line tension but not pull you out of the circle. I fly all of my models with one hand.

If you have never flown with 2.4 Ghz or any other form of throttle control a good way to learn is to convert an RC ARF model (either buy new or buy used at a swap meet) and go thru the motions of making it work. It allows you try everything, then when it comes time to do your serious competition model you have some experience on what worked for you and what didn't.
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 01:19:01 PM »
Hi Fred, Thank you very much for the excellent information in your response. I have flown 2.4 with carrier but it has been a long time. Because I am the ED for Scale in our only scale contest here in Oregon( Northwest Regionsals) I have not flow scale in 4 years. I judge stunt also so I have not flow carrier
in 6 years. However we now have our own dedicated CL Field. We can use it any time we want , It has a locked gate , and is Field Turf. See the
article in Flyinglines about our field Rogue Eagles RC Club flying field.

Thank you for supplying excellent information to us on Scale. Especially the U Tube ones . I flew back for the Scale Nats the year that it was done on
Thursday due to the weather etc. I got there on Friday and no one there!!!! That was a very expensive trip that I may not be able to do again.
Mike Hazle did go back last year to see it all and was pleased with what he saw. Keep up the good work .

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 02:33:58 PM »
I had a great talk with Mike last year. The Nats for 2021 was done in one day due to the weather in June. This year will have a good number of entries including Orin, Ron Duly from the Los Angeles area and others who haven't been there in awhile. And it's the F4B team qualifier. I am going to arrive at the AMA site Thursday morning and stay until Monday.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here