Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Handles  (Read 559 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Handles
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:48:45 AM »
Hey scale people just to stir things up a little.  Have you seen the posts on the new handle/expeirimental control handle over in the carrier section.  The gentleman is using a new radio to control the throttle and maybe other functions using a 2.4GHz radio.  It looks like one of the car/boat radios he has worked on.  What would be your thoughts on the new radios in control line scale to control all functions except the elevator? S?P R%%%%

PS:Keep it clean. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
Re: Handles
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
Doc,

Having any kind of RF transmission is currently forbidden under the U/C rules, so the spread spectrum part of the 2.4 GHz radios must be non-functional, i.e., no RF sections allowed in the "transmitter".

What Chuck Snyder and others have done, and what Clancy's controllers do, is to put the variable width pulse that is used for RC servo controls onto the control lines, without the radio frequency (RF) carrier. Chuck uses the feature that some radios have of a direct servo link output. A number of JR and Futaba radios have that feature, called DSC for Direct Servo Control.

You could do what you propose very nicely, I agree, by adding the 2.4 GHz radio system to a U/C airplane. Having the spread spectrum features does away with some of the frequency interference problems of the older FM radios, and you wouldn't need the insulated flying lines.

The FCC has allocated some FM channels for surface use only, I don't know what allocations, if any, may have been made for the 2.4 GHz band. It is always wise to tread carefully in preventing interference with other radio services. Perhaps some of the SH bunch with more expertise can comment on this as I don't have any idea about how many "channels" the spread spectrum radios may have. I have heard of some interference issues with these radios.

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:14:28 AM »
Well I am already doing it with the "old" radios in direct servo control mode with a 60' DCS cable made out of insulated stainless cable ;D. There are some negatives to the insulated lines, discussed to death in these forums, but I get along just fine. I don't think this is too much of a challenge for people to overcome and stay within the current rules vs using a 2.4 radio. I read some of the posts in the carrier threads and agree with the negatives mentioned, especially the tendancy to obsolete currently competitive models.

Now beyond that. It appears that lots of C/L guys are opposed to anything with an R/C label on it. Case in point: they will use a Clancy Arnold system at probably a higher cost and fewer "computer" radio capabilities than a plug and play "R/C" system because it is a "C/L" system. There are very few participants in C/L scale to start with, and if you cut that number by those who won't use "R/C," then I might hope to see one new competitor at a contest with the 2.4 gHz radio. Go for it. I promise not to file a protest. If you beat me it won't be because you used the radio.

More S?P???

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:02:35 AM »
Well if we are going to allow an RF link to controll everything but the elevator why not allow the elevator to be RF also. This provides two added features. First of all you can tether the aircraft on a pole and fly it from outside the circle.  Secondally, with ailerons you could do slack line maneuvers.  Then you could cut the string and expand your maneuvers to 400' high and wide   ----  I think not!!!!! --   LL~   LL~   LL~   LL~   LL~    LL~       LL~         LL~           :##          :##       Z@@ZZZ

PS I have nothing against electronics in control-line scale, however all controll must be through the lines to be a control-line event.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
It's not going to change, no matter what. Even if a rules change proposal to operate model mechanics by RF is proposed, it won't pass. It's not in the spirit of C/L.
Radio DT's in FF are one thing. They're the most reliable for a model that is not being controlled. For control line, it's just not even a starter.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here