News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pull test Results - .022 solid flying lines  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Pull test Results - .022 solid flying lines
« on: May 07, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »
I have recently rolled out a new set of .022 diameter solid lines for the 12-20 lb weight models that I fly. The new rules state that the .024 braided or .022 solids can be used. I got the lines from MBS model supply.

The new lines were pull tested to 100+ lbs and they passed without any problems. the handle, connectors or flying lines themselves had no problems

Then I made up a sample and subjected that single line to 110 lbs with the normal connectors. The sample in the picture is the .022 diameter solid line that is wrapped with copper wire like they do for CL aerobatics. What was interesting is that the connector failed at 110 lbs instead of the line or the wrapped ends. This line is rated at about 135 lbs of maximum line tension to remain safe.

the 14 lb B-29 pulls about 40-50 lbs during flight which means each line is loaded to 25 lbs. The pull test for the 14 lb model is 70 lbs.

Ready to get flying at the Nats!
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Re: Pull test Results - .022 solid flying lines
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 08:04:07 PM »
Fred, I remember what you said about checking your equipment before the start of a new season.
I checked the lines for my Waco and found the up line was in bad shape (only 3 strands still in tact). n~ Good thing I check. I decided to go with .021 braded thought I only need .018
All the other lines for the other airplanes are in great condition.
I too am ready for some practice flights before the Nats.
Blessings
Allen

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 08:11:27 PM »
I built some handles last year and pull tested all of them, and one failed, yeah you never know when the stuff is worn out or broken. The solids are interesting but it held on even at 110 lbs of tension. I need to update my pull test mechanism and get the weights up to 150 lbs, really want to see where and what fails when the line tension gets up there.

I plan to run a sample of the other line diameters also

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:26:42 AM »
The old J Roberts and later Brodak 3-line bellcranks were a glaring weak link in the system. 
2.4 allows you to use a bullet-proof bellcrank, double-shear mounted.

As you posted, line connectors have a hard time standing up to the tensile strength of lines above .022".
Some carbeners from your local mountain climbing shop might help.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here