News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-View to plans process  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
3-View to plans process
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »
Hi Guys

I've been thinking about taking an obscure WWI airplane that my older brothers and their friend built and flew when I was a little kid, probably about 7 years old, and building one today as a tribute to them. It was flown on 70' lines with both the Super Clyclone & Anderson Spitfire ignition engines, and probably a 14" prop.  Anyway, all I have currently is a decent 3-view drawing.  So I'm asking you guys with experience taking a 3-view and turning it into a set of plans to build from, to give me some direction. Theirs was about 60" span, but I would like to make mine about 69" span.  I don't know how to go about taking the 3-view and enlarging it to a full size plan. Any input from those that have done this is appreciated.  I'm all ears !   :)
AMA 33676

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 3-View to plans process
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »
Can you scan and post the 3 view?

y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
Dan:

If you have decent three-views with cross sections at stations, you can simply sit down and manually draw enlarged plans to any scale you want. For example, if the wingspan on your three-view measures 3" and you want a model of 60" wingspan, you will multiply every dimension that you take off of the three-view by twenty to draw your plan. That probably is an over simplification. For example, the Beech C45J that I am doing now started as a set of Paul Matt three-views. I determined that if I wanted a 48" wingspan, I could measure the three view with a 40 scale on an engineering ruler and multiply that measurement by 1.09. I used that factor (40 scale times 1.09) for all of the measurements and the plane is looking great. This is the method that I have used for many planes and it has always worked well.

I understand that there are ways to do it with a computer drafting system, but I have no expertise and therefore can't really comment on that approach. I envision that the computer approach may be somewhat expensive the first time around.

Jim Fruit

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 06:39:48 PM »
I tried to post his while Jim posted and the system locked up. so I try again.

WWI probably has lots of straight lines, so you don't necessarily need a complete set of plans. Figure out the scale you want--usually to match available wheels or some such thing. Enlarge your three-views the proper amount for curved parts on a copy machine. Draw the straight lines on paper or your work bench and just build it. Add some ply for the engine, bellcrank, and landing gear mounts. If there is a complicated area, go ahead and draw it up. When I built my FAI class Hs-129, the only thing I sketched in detail was the nacelle side view. Everything else was built over enlarged 3-view.
Chuck

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
Making a full set of plans is pretty time consuming if you are only building one plane.

With or without a computer, the fast way to do this is to find a published plan of a model similar to what you want, and build that model only with your outline.  At best you'll pick something with a similar size, and a similar layout (i.e., engine type, mono- or biplane, low wing, etc.).  So for instance if you want to build a 67 inch span LaGG-3 you could start with 70 inch P-51 plans, or if you wanted to build a Lysander you could start with plans for a Monocoupe or a Cessna C-185.

To do this, take your 3-view, and copy (or scan) them.  Then take whiteout and white paper (or fire up your favorite graphics package) and scrub off any of the interior detail on the 3-view, leaving only the outlines of the wing, fuselage, and tail.  Then take your newly un-detailed 3-view and have it enlarged (or printed out) to the scale that you want to build your airplane.  You probably want to do this at a local blueprint shop -- places like Kinkos will do it, but they want a lot more $$ and generally don't have as knowledgeable or interested help.

This is your "plan".  Remember that it leaves out a lot of detail, but you know the plane designer pretty well so any time you have questions you can ask.  (Because you're the plane designer)

Now clean off your dining room table and lay out your 3-view on it.  Lay your magazine open to the plan that you're shamelessly plagiarizing (ehem) borrowing from, and study it and your 3-view.  If you feel the need, grab a pencil and transfer the interior structure from the magazine plans to fit within the outlines on your three view.  Put the spar on yours where the designer calls out the spar on his, use his fuselage structure, etc..  Use the same wood sizes, etc., to the extent that you agree with the original designer.  You'll need to redraw all of the formers (this is why Jim was suggesting that you start with a 3-view that has sections).  Make the formers to match the sections on your 3-view if you have them, or fake it if you don't.  If you don't know how to go from the 3-view sections to former outlines Google on "lofting" or ask here.

Now go build.  You'll find that from time to time you'll have built yourself into a corner and you'll have to back up and redo (i.e., you'll have to whack things off and start that part over).  That doesn't mean your bad -- that's just part and parcel of designing your own model to build.

I've built a few scale planes where I just blew up the 3-view to the size that I wanted, and started building, faking the structure as I went.  It's fun to do, because then when someone asks for the plans you can just give them a look of pure naive innocence and say "plans?".

Have fun.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »
I have also built models from enlarged 3-views.

I get an accurate 3-view, (by the way the same 3-view that you show the judge for static judging) and get it enlarged at Kinkos, just make sure the scanner /plotter did not stretch the image one direction. You can put a perfect square on your 3-view and check the dimensions of the square after the 3-view is enlarged. I then build from the enlarged 3-view without doing formal plans.

I also have a overhead projector, I then take a clear sheet and make a copy of the 3-view on the clear sheet and project the image on the wall and again make sure the image is not scretched or distorted by the overhead projector and then sketch the "Plans" with paper taped to the wall. I all cases I rarely detail out the "plans" and simply build the plane. Overhead projectors are long since been replaced by computers so they may be hard to find these days.

Fred Cronenwett
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 09:17:28 AM »
Guys

I don't have a scanner as yet, so I can only show you the link I got the 3-view from.  The 3-view doesn't show fuselage bulkhead stations. I believe the fuselage sides are flat from the cockpit rearward.  As far as the wings and tail surfaces go, I think I could build them off a full size enlargement of the 3-view. It's mostly the forward fuselage and the rear turtle deck that I don't know the shape of.
http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/england/west_wagtail_1.jpg
http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/england/west_wagtail.gif
AMA 33676

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »
I have found that as I work on a scratch model I eventually "get into the head" of the original designer. Imagine yourself back in 1918 and what you would have to work with. Straight lines, perfect circles, and triangles would be appropriate. Looks like the fuselage is a rectangle from the front of the cockpit to the tail. Why would you do anything else with the technology of that era? Looks like the fuselage cross-section is a circle right behind the engine cylinders and stringers make the transition from there to the rectangle at the cockpit. Also looks like the top fuselage longeron defines some sizes. Turtle deck also transitions with stringers from the cockpit to the stab. Pick a shape you like for the aft end of the cockpit. No one will know if it is not perfect. For ideas on structure, check out the Balsa USA builds on RCUniverse and RCScalebuilder. The BUSA 1/6th scale kits would provide a good idea on wood sizes (as Tim suggested).

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
I looked at the three-view again and the front view most likely shows the fuselage cross section at the line of the front cabane and front gear strut. I would carry the curved top section unchanged to the back of the cockpit. The only complex shape seems to be the transition from the circle at the engine to the x-sect at the front gear leg.
Chuck

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
Chuck

Your observations are noted.  Maybe once I have a full size 3-view, it will be more obvious. So is Kinko's the only place to take my little 3-view and get it enlarged to full size ? 
AMA 33676

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »
Dan-

I've done several 1:1 copies at various area copiers (as you know, that's Cleveberg) and have found several things to be normally true:

1) The copier people, regardless of how good at their work, will not anticipate nor recognize your desired accurascy.

2) They often distort the proportions through faulty feeding of the paper, if they do not have a large scanner bed.

3) Depending on their equipment, there may still be optical distortions in the digitizing of the images.

4) in your case, you can add that any errors in the small 3-V (original or from some scanner) will be magnified greatly, as will line width and waviness, if you are enlarging from the apparent size of your 3-V to to a 69" model.

You can get around most of these things if you measure and scale convenient perpendicular dimensions so that you can measure on the spot and request them to rescale. I always take my pocket calculator along so that I can take the ratio of their product dimensions to what I want, so that I can give them a revised scale factor. This is a real pain in the arse every time! To this you can add that too often, after you have found a good copier bunch and "train" them to do it right, they will no longer be in business next time you want them.

SO...here's my suggestion. That plane has, as predicted above, many straight lines and simple geometrical curves. I'd just carefully measure the span (or, for instance, a wheel) and choose a scale factor (multiplier) that allows you to equip the model with scale accessories and gets you closest to your desired size. Then just draw the outlines to scale and draw sections/loftings to fit. I do not think that this will take very long in comparison to your build time, and you will not have to pay for something that will only be a guide for doing most of this work anyway. Give me a call, if you want to discuss this.

SK

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 04:01:57 PM »
Serge

I'll call you to talk about it. Thanks !
AMA 33676

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
Chuck

Your observations are noted.  Maybe once I have a full size 3-view, it will be more obvious. So is Kinko's the only place to take my little 3-view and get it enlarged to full size ? 

No no no!!  Kinko's is the only name that you can find anywhere in the US to do the job.  It's probably also the worst.

If you can find it, a blueprint shop that caters to structural engineers and architects is best.  They'll have big copiers, and staff that is used to picky customers.  Certainly the one here in town is happy to help me with my oddball printing requests (and they charge about 1/2 what Kinko's does).  Serge's suggestion about finding pertinent dimensions and making sure that the thing comes out square and the right size is a good one.

I would also suggest that you download a copy of Bob Banka's 3-view directory, and see what he has.  He's got lots of 3-views, so even if the plane is obscure there's a chance that he's got something (after all, someone has draw up a three-view of that plane, because you have it).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
Tim

Thanks for your suggestion on the blueprint shop.  As far as Bob Banka goes, nothing there, I checked, and I would be shocked if it were, cause this particular airplane is not known by many. I believe there were only 3-5 ever built. Thanks
AMA 33676

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »
Tim

Thanks for your suggestion on the blueprint shop.  As far as Bob Banka goes, nothing there, I checked, and I would be shocked if it were, cause this particular airplane is not known by many. I believe there were only 3-5 ever built. Thanks

Dan,

I offer a drawing service for just that. I just completed drawings for a model 144.5" in span and another 85" in span, from a supplied good three view.

I can make them any size, as much or as little detail as you choose.

From my drawings, you can add construction detail to aid in your building process.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here