News:

• May 01, 2024, 04:35:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Scale  (Read 1770 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Profile Scale
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
I am looking for my next profile scale project.  I am hoping for a 25 size ship for conversion to electric.  I am looking at kits. Sam's Stuff has a Profile Smoothie that looks about the right size.  Anybody know if it close enough to scale to be contest worthy?  I can scratch build but perfer a kit. Are there lazier cutters that have a catalog of custom ships?

I am open to suggestions.   #^ Thanks
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Profile Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
A Smoothie isn't really scale of anything that I know of. 

There are several profile scale (like) kits in the Brodak catalog.  I prefer to get a picture book of real planes and browse through until I find something that I want to build and just go ahead and cut something out.  The judges will like that a lot better than an ARF or a kit of something that's also sold as an ARF. 
Paul Smith

Offline clscale7

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
You can also take plans for full size built up models and simply build a profile fuselage in place of the full bodied fuselage. I have not found very many if any profile scale kits that have outlines good enough for profile scale.

I build all of my profile scales by enlarging the 3-view and then build from there from scratch using my own plans.

Land softly
Fred Cronenwett
CL scale

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:48:34 PM »
A Smoothie isn't really scale of anything that I know of. 

There are several profile scale (like) kits in the Brodak catalog.  I prefer to get a picture book of real planes and browse through until I find something that I want to build and just go ahead and cut something out.  The judges will like that a lot better than an ARF or a kit of something that's also sold as an ARF. 

b1  Your right! the Smoothie is not a full size aircraft.

I understand that an ARF is not leagal for anything but FUN scale.  All others have builder of the model rule.  I was hoping for a kit.  Of course when you cut out a set of parts you now have a kit -  LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:17:39 PM »
b1  Your right! the Smoothie is not a full size aircraft.

I understand that an ARF is not leagal for anything but FUN scale.  All others have builder of the model rule.  I was hoping for a kit.  Of course when you cut out a set of parts you now have a kit -  LL~
A thought:

Brodak has wing kits for many of their planes.  Could you choose a prototype that has a wing close to a Brodak product?  Cutting out a scale profile fuselage and tail feathers from the solid should be pretty straightforward.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
How about Brodak's Shoestring.

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=8057

Does anyone know how close it comes to scale?  I am sure it is a good flier.  It looks like the right size.

D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
How about Brodak's Shoestring.

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=8057

Does anyone know how close it comes to scale?  I am sure it is a good flier.  It looks like the right size.

D>K

The Shoestring Stunter is a redesign of the Carl Goldberg kit of the '60s.  Also, the Cosmic Wind/Little Toni and the Buster.  They were the three Goldberg *Goodyear Racers* and the basis for Foxberg racing that was popular a few years ago.

Mary Knight entered a Buster (Brodak/Goldberg kit) at Brodak's in Profile Scale a few years ago.  I am not sure just how *scale* any of the three are, but they will all fly the complete AMA stunt pattern!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:56:56 AM »
I do OK in Fun with a Sig SPAD, powered by an OS 35.

Currently kitted by Black Hawk, or else easy to build from balsa.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 05:29:40 AM »
The Shoestring Stunter is a redesign of the Carl Goldberg kit of the '60s.  Also, the Cosmic Wind/Little Toni and the Buster.  They were the three Goldberg *Goodyear Racers* and the basis for Foxberg racing that was popular a few years ago.

Mary Knight entered a Buster (Brodak/Goldberg kit) at Brodak's in Profile Scale a few years ago.  I am not sure just how *scale* any of the three are, but they will all fly the complete AMA stunt pattern!

Big Bear

The fuselage is "more or less" 1/8 scale. The wing and tail group are significantly oversize. For a quick comparison put it next to a SIG .15 profile Shoestring.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
The fuselage is "more or less" 1/8 scale. The wing and tail group are significantly oversize. For a quick comparison put it next to a SIG .15 profile Shoestring.

Bob

Bob,

Is the wing outline about right?   ???
I would guess the airfoil is not correct.  But if the outline is close it usually scores OK.  It isn't that much trouble to design my own fuselage based on the scale of the wing. I have done this before.  All it takes is an XL spread sheet to crunch the numbers. It looks like buying the whole kit and throwing away what I don't need costs about the same as a rib set + all the stuff it takes to build.  It looks like Bob's scale doc has the 3-view and photos.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 04:33:52 AM »
Bob,

Is the wing outline about right?   ???
I would guess the airfoil is not correct.  But if the outline is close it usually scores OK.  It isn't that much trouble to design my own fuselage based on the scale of the wing. I have done this before.  All it takes is an XL spread sheet to crunch the numbers. It looks like buying the whole kit and throwing away what I don't need costs about the same as a rib set + all the stuff it takes to build.  It looks like Bob's scale doc has the 3-view and photos.

John,

The span and chord of the wing are not proportional to the same scale. Using the span as the base reference, the root chord should be about 9.75 in. The kit root chord is 11.5 in. If you were to scale a fuselage based on the 42 in. kit wing it would be 39 in. long.

I have the drawing package from Bob's Scale Doc. There are two decent plans in the set, one by L.G. Halls and the other by Rod Kreimendahl. Rod designed Shoestring.

"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 08:55:33 AM »
John,

The span and chord of the wing are not proportional to the same scale. Using the span as the base reference, the root chord should be about 9.75 in. The kit root chord is 11.5 in. If you were to scale a fuselage based on the 42 in. kit wing it would be 39 in. long.

I have the drawing package from Bob's Scale Doc. There are two decent plans in the set, one by L.G. Halls and the other by Rod Kreimendahl. Rod designed Shoestring.

Is your Bob's Scale package P/n (11)RF84 XD?  From what you say in the post it sound like this package will have enough information to design and build my own version of the Shoestring.  I have good computer skill to generate rib templates. The rest is a little work on the jig saw and you have a kit. I may just go with full body and make it standoff scale instead of profile.  My how a project can grow!  mw~

Or I could build 2 look alikes - stand off and profile.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
John Brodak won Profile Scale at the a few years ago with a plane from his line of kits. The La-5, iIt's for a larger engine than you mentioned, but it's a proven Nats winner.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 02:15:12 PM »
John Brodak won Profile Scale at the a few years ago with a plane from his line of kits. The La-5, iIt's for a larger engine than you mentioned, but it's a proven Nats winner.

True I was aware of that.  And I may well go that way.  I met John at the 2010 Nats and that is what he reccomended.  It's my understanding he has the doccumation to go with it also. 
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 02:18:17 PM »
Is your Bob's Scale package P/n (11)RF84 XD?  From what you say in the post it sound like this package will have enough information to design and build my own version of the Shoestring.  I have good computer skill to generate rib templates. The rest is a little work on the jig saw and you have a kit. I may just go with full body and make it standoff scale instead of profile.  My how a project can grow!  mw~

Or I could build 2 look alikes - stand off and profile.

Yes. The 3-view set is RF84. As I said, the L.G. Halls drawing is the one you need. It is well detailed, including fuselage cross sections. FYI, the colors are 1949 Cadillac Chartreuse and Chinese Red.

Good luck.

Bob
"Clockwise Forever..."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here