News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:12:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ted Prasol's 1966 NATS Scale Cosmic Wind plans  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Ted Prasol's 1966 NATS Scale Cosmic Wind plans
« on: July 28, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
Read that Ted Prasol won 2011 Nats with yet another scale C/L single engine plane.

Anyone know how I could locate his plans for the .60 size Cosmic Wind (Little Toni) he won the '66 NATS with?

Thanks in advance! 

Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Ted Prasol's 1966 NATS Scale Cosmic Wind plans
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
HI Mike,

Please let me know if you DO find them.  I have been looking for years with no success......

Even Keith Trostle helped search for me!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
HI Mike,
Please let me know if you DO find them.  I have been looking for years with no success......
Even Keith Trostle helped search for me!

Bill

Hi Bill,

And I still have not been able to find anything on thie except for the caption that goes with this Dec 66 Flying Models cover:

""Ted Prasol's beautiful replica of the famed "Little Toni" Cosmic Wind Racer. It spans 48", just under 8 lbs., powered by Fox 59 R/C.  Controline aircraft, a superb finish, ... ' 66 Nationals."

Keith

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »
Could be there are NO plans.  I have a good friend that used to do scale and never used actual plans. Drove me nuts as how he could come up with a very, very accurate model without plans, just three views and dozens of photos.  H^^

Ty:

This is actually the method that I used for my recent C45J that I used at the Nats. I often draw my own plans, but in this case I thought I might save some time. Three views are imperative however. I simply measure the wingspan on the three views, and then divide that into the airplane's actual wingspan. In my case, that was 3.2 inches on the three view divided into 48 feet of actual wingspan. The resultant constant was 15 feet per inch of measurement. So, every measurement taken off of the three view is multiplied by 15 to get the actual dimension of the airplane. That dimension then has to be factored by whatever scale you have decided to build the model at and then  incorporate the result into the model. I find that an engineers scale that is divided by decimals is best to use for measuring the three views. It simplifies the multiplication. This is the system that I use whether I am creating plans or not.

Jim Fruit

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:03:11 PM »
I know it is a bit off topic, but I have always heard of guys drawing the shapes on the wood when building stunters back in the day.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
Thanks, guys. I've built hot rods and vintage racing cars for years on a 'work table' (sometimes chassis jig) with just a few drawings I did, or pictures for 'reference'.
My friend Donn Varner always did a full size drawing of all his cars he built, taped up on the wall and measured from it. Donn was a Senior Draftsman for FMC, so I always mused at the way he did a car. (like I did a model airplane!)

I can do the Cosmic Wind in this manner as well, I have the Berkeley plan (too small, but I can have it enlarged at my Blueprint Service)
The inner structure will be changed anyway, and fuse built on a jig. ('Al Rabe Style'; Love his methodology)

Ted's cover shot made me anxious, imagine what the plans would have looked like!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
Thanks, guys. I've built hot rods and vintage racing cars for years on a 'work table' (sometimes chassis jig) with just a few drawings I did, or pictures for 'reference'.
My friend Donn Varner always did a full size drawing of all his cars he built, taped up on the wall and measured from it. Donn was a Senior Draftsman for FMC, so I always mused at the way he did a car. (like I did a model airplane!)

I can do the Cosmic Wind in this manner as well, I have the Berkeley plan (too small, but I can have it enlarged at my Blueprint Service)
The inner structure will be changed anyway, and fuse built on a jig. ('Al Rabe Style'; Love his methodology)

Ted's cover shot made me anxious, imagine what the plans would have looked like!

Hi Mike,

There is a better, slightly larger, set of plans for the Cosmic Wind series of planes than the Berkekey.  I am not sure but possibly done by Hobby Helpers. ???  I have them somewhere, finding them right now would be a trick to pull off! LOL!!  I now have plans scattered through most of the rooms in my house, plus the basement,,,,,,,,,

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »
Hi Mike,

There is a better, slightly larger, set of plans for the Cosmic Wind series of planes than the Berkekey.  I am not sure but possibly done by Hobby Helpers. ???  I have them somewhere, finding them right now would be a trick to pull off! LOL!!  I now have plans scattered through most of the rooms in my house, plus the basement,,,,,,,,,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I think you and I have gone over this one before.  Paul Plecan did a real nice Minnow (Cosmic Wind) in the January 1949 issue of Air trails.  (This is Cosmic Wind #4 with a bronze and cream paint job.) A lot bigger than the Berkely kit.  38" span, 2"=1' scale.  Even by today's standard, this would make a respectable scale airplane. Full size plans are available from the AMA plans service.

By the way,  This Air Trails cover shows the Wittman Bonzo and the Chester Swee' Pea.  Sam Calhoun Smith has design articles for both of these.  The Swee' Pea first appeared in Michanics Illustrated in June 48.  I just finished building the version Smith had in the magazine (Diferent aft fuse, no wheel pants, and with a later white and green paint job.)  I thought it would be OK for OTS.    Alas, it is severly challenged to do anything more than an unrecgnizable climb, dive, and wingover.  We might try a loop next March at VSC.  (I cannot let Jim Lee get too far ahead on bringing non-stunt airplanes to VSC.)

Keith

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
I know it is a bit off topic, but I have always heard of guys drawing the shapes on the wood when building stunters back in the day.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Bill:

Now I am really beginning to feel old. This is the exact method that I currently use when I am building my scale ships. Maybe not so old, but definitely behind modern technology (no lasers).

Jim Fruit

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 06:26:37 PM »

(Clip)

(Clip)

You mentioned Al Rabe and his fuselage jig.  But while we are on the subject of developing plans, what Al would often do to design his Super Semi Scale Stunt Ships is to project an image (like with a transparency) on a piece of paper on the wall with the image enlarged to the size he wanted and then trace the lines of the side profile to capture the look he was after with that design.

Keith.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 05:33:39 PM »
Hi, Big Bear Bill, Keith, and Ty.

I recently scored a 'buy it now' on our own favorite bidding site. It was a Pilot kit plan of the Cosmic Wind...34" wingspan, radio control, scalelike wing.

I had it size-enlarged, and its companion pattern page. (the scales are close, but about 4% off...it would take more adjustments to size percentage to match the bulkhead sizes with the drawing, which I declined to do. This plan will be referenced, but the Paul Plecan plan is the "plan".

As Keith Trostle suggested, I ordered the Paul Plecan plan from AMA. Wingspan is 38", which is 2"=1 foot; good for a working scale size.
I would have thought larger would be better, but realistically,the C.W. was a midget-size racer, and of 'small size'!
I see now that I should have checked the AMA site first...

When John Pond was alive, I spent a lot of time at his plan service offices. (he moved once, ending up on N. 2nd St, in San Jose)
Had I 'fallen for' the Cosmic Wind years ago, I'd have everything printed that John posessed.
Over a few years' time, I unrolled every Gee Bee R-1 plan he had, and purchased 1 of each. (I have lots) Mr. Mulligan, too.
John was always happy to show 'something interesting', and during a visit, I'll bet he unrolled and rolled at least 15...Sure miss him.

That C.W. plan is numbered #21385 AMA, and #15B1 Pond. Listed as $14.00.

Big Bear, I think this may be what you are looking for, as well...

Cheerio, Fellows. 
See you at the Golden State Champs...right around my Birthday.

Mike

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »
Thanks for the information, Mike!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
My 2 cents on the topic.

I agree that the Plecan plan can be used to make a very nice Cosmic Wind. Remember also that this stuff has been scanned and digitized. The AMA Plan Guy will gladly run a factored copy, up or down, for a very nominal fee.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
Part of my brain has turned to mush and one part is memory (it's selective! LOL!!).

One of the members here sent me a wealth of information on the Cosmic Wind/Little Toni a few years ago.  I want to thank that kind soul whomever he is!  THANK YOU!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »
Just a reminder that Tucson's 1/2A (.061) multi-engine profile scale contest is coming up:  October 13-14.  If you're planning to attend and would like a set of rules, e-mail me at vsc-guy(at)cox(dot)net.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here