News:

• May 22, 2024, 04:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Retracts and Rules  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Profile Retracts and Rules
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »
With the new 2.4Ghz rules going into effect next year I would think this retract rule needs new verbage in regard to 521 Profile Scale. With servos and mech. or electric retracts it's entirely possible to put retractable landing gear on a Profile, adding to realism.

What do you think? I have a scratch build in my head but currently am lacking free time to build it, lol.

CONTROL LINE PROFILE SCALE
For event 521.
The event rules are identical to 509, Control Line Sport Scale, with the following exceptions. Event 521 Profile Scale is exempted from the dummy pilot requirements, (CL sport scale event 509 paragraph 5. Model requirements.) Event 521 Profile Scale is exempted from the retract rule, requiring flying with wheels up if the prototype had retractable landing gear.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: Profile Retracts and Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
Doug, that rule means that there is no deduction in the flight realism score if there are no retracts. It does not prevent you from using retracts.
Chuck

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
Unless I'm missing something (Clancy's U-Tronics unit is huge?) there's no technical difference between putting retracts into a profile scale model with a U-Tronics controller and doing it with a radio receiver.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Just the difference between a technical achievement and a no-brainer purchase.
Paul Smith

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »
Doug, that rule means that there is no deduction in the flight realism score if there are no retracts. It does not prevent you from using retracts.
Chuck

Would they be considered scoreable as a scale option on a profile?
Granted some installs like a F4F Wildcat would be custom as opposed to a P-51 or others that you can buy off the shelf.
AMA 656546

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »
Would they be considered scoreable as a scale option on a profile?

(Clip)

Yes.  Why not?

However, for some profiles scale ships, retracts might not be too practical.

Keith

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
I thought Profile Scale was supposed to incurage more interrest in scale.  I agree that the rules do not exclude rectracts in profile but the absents of retracts does not lower flight score.  A rule change requiring retracts on my Brodak LA-5 would kill scale for me.

n~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
Everyone who pointed out that the absence of retracts not deducting from the score is spot on, but of course they can be used as an optional score.  As to them ever becoming mandatory?  Over my dead body.
Okay, maybe not THAT severe, but you get the picture, it's just not going to happen with the rules "clean up" under way.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
Everyone who pointed out that the absence of retracts not deducting from the score is spot on, but of course they can be used as an optional score.  As to them ever becoming mandatory?  Over my dead body.
Okay, maybe not THAT severe, but you get the picture, it's just not going to happen with the rules "clean up" under way.

This was the intent of my question...making it an option, no points lost but maybe a chance for additional points.
Sorry if my post was vague. -Doug
AMA 656546

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 07:15:42 PM »
I think it should be brought up that the CL scale rules provide for flight points to operate a retracting gear (on those airplanes where the full size aircraft had a retract gear).  This is an option for flight points that applies to all of the CL scale events: Profile Scale, Sport Scale, Fun Scale, Team Scale, and Designer Scale.  In those rules, there is a penalty for not retracting the gear if the full scale aircraft had a retracting gear.

"Any model which flies with wheels down while the prototype actually featured a retractable landing gear will have the score reduced except Profile Scale models."  (For FAI scale, the penalty is automatic and significant.)

At least the rules makers got it partly right by exempting Profile models from the automatic reduction.  Fun Scale is recognized basically as an introductory event for scale.  In essence, Sport Scale can also be considered as an introductory event.  It seems to me that these two events should also be exempted from the required non-retract gear point deduction just as for Profile Scale.   For the record, I intend to submit a change proposal during the next rules change cycle starting in January to exempt Sport and Fun Scale events from the automatic reduction.    With the current rules for these "introductory events", the choice of a model to build is really dictated or at least discouraged by the current rule to not build a model of a full scale aircraft with retracts.  I do not think that should apply to these events.  Just my opinion. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here