News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:49:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: scale judging  (Read 2180 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
scale judging
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:47:21 PM »
 my 2 cents worth even though my horse is dead
I also have a problem when it comes to judging 1/2 A scale flying
I don't like flying an event not knowing how u are going to be judged   one flight ,two flights or 2 flights averaged together

the officials were made aware of the two flight rule but didn't go by it .
we should be told when our planes are being judged what they are going to do.
I have had it go my way all 3 ways and been bitten by it at other times

just keep it consistant so we know what rules we are flying with.
rad racer

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
Re: scale judging
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:43:04 PM »
That makes sense to me. Tell the judges in Tucson. mw~

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 05:29:14 PM »
Actually, the judges have no say in what is going to be as far as 1 score, two scores averaged, etc.  That goes to the event director.  Plus, what possible difference could it make as long as you fly your best on both flights?
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »
actually it was decided at the circle by the judges , what if the CD is one of the Judges????

if it is decided by your best flight u get one score. if u are high u win (not counting the static score) if they add the two scores and u have one good flight and one bad flight u can get beat by someone with an average score and the same go's for if they average the two scores. to me that is three diff ways it can go
rad racer

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »
Well, you're obviously not talking about the nats because we did the rule book thing of three attempt for two flights and the ED was not a judge.  (Neither one of them as we had co-ed's)
Thing is, no matter what the decison was/is, everyone flies to the same standards.  It's a lot like baseball ground rules - I bounce one over the fence, it's a ground rule double.  The other team bounces one over the fence, it's a ground rule double.
If every flier is competing under the same rules, as far as I see it, there is no advantage for anyone, no matter what.  It's all fly at your own best or lose.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »

I always make a practice of asking how the judging of flight scores will be tabulated, three attempts for two officials with the average, adding the two flight scores together or your best single flight. I never "assume" the scoring will be as we run it at the Nats. Maybe this is how we answer the problem of scoring. ask, ask, ask in advance.

Three attempts for two official, when your airplane gets air born that is an attempt, you don't get three official flights and that was what the judges were trying to get across to you. Don't take everything so personal, have fun, the judges were not out to stick it to you or anyone. Your good at flying model airplanes, enjoy it. #^

Blessings
Allen

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 04:17:31 PM »
Paul, for you to suggest that judges were partial and trying to help a favorite win tells me everything I need to know about your personality.  You need help, sir, professional help.  You have either a persecution complex or a very unhealthy dose of narcisism.  All I've ever heard or read from you is complaining that everyone is against you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:11:50 PM by Will Hinton »

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »
And the difference is???  You are still talking about favoritism, no matter which way you point it,

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 05:55:44 AM »
This all about how the points were tabulated, not about who or what model was being flown. The rules are very clear on how 1/2a is suppose to be tabulated.

The max score in 1/2a scale is 170 points. 80 Points max possible in Static and 90 points max for flying. The max per flight is 45 points. The goal behind the 1/2a score formula is so that the Static score does not dominate the overall score. That is why the flying score is added together or doubled to get an overall 90 points max for flying. If you only take the static and average or take a single flight score the static score dominates the overall points.

Now lets discuss 1 or 2 rounds and 3 or 4 rounds...

Local contests only fly 2 rounds so you have to this formula at a local one day contest
take the single best flight score and DOUBLE that number, if the person scored a perfect 45 flight score they get 90 flight points

The NATS is very different, we fly four rounds so we have to follow this formula
take the two best scores and ADD them together

Look at rule 6.3.1 again and make sure you look at how 1 or 2 rounds is very different than 3 or 4 rounds

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »
Mr Smith, After watching from the inside the 2018 Nats Precision Aerobatics CL as I was rooming with Darrel Harvin I saw things from a different
perspective. I had an idea before this experience but now have see it from my own eyes. It appears that the people that gripe the most have never been a part of actually running a large contest before. I have frequently read your posts in which you manage to whine and gripe about how things are run etc.
Maby just Maby the problem lies within you!!! :) Have you ever wondered why it is so difficult to get people to run large contests or the Nats?
I can tell you the answer, but the question is can you see why? If the shoe fits wear it. Oh by the way I have helped run a large Scale contest at the Northwest Regionals.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
I started this post to vent my frustration about how 1/2 A scale has been run at times .I have never gotten the feeling that it was run in favour of one person or another ,just not to the rules ,and not informed as to how it was being run.. I think the post has run it's course.

how dose the saying go?? if u cry wolf long enough people quit paying attention. I think that is whats happening with one of the other participants on this post.

just want to add that I was the Nats Racing ED for 4 years ,have CD'd many racing and Speed contest here in Fla ,organized an FAI  F2C team trials and a stunt clinic I  CD a Free Flight contest every nov so the guys can get ready for the KOI. so I have been on the INSIDE a few times
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:08:20 PM by bob whitney »
rad racer

Advertise Here

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.
Tags:

Advertise Here