Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Scale Models

New 1/2A scoring proposal

(1/2) > >>

Paul Smith:
I submitted a rules change to do away with the odd-ball 1/2A scoring system of 80 static points and 80 flight points for single engine and 84 points for multi-engine.
I propose to use the same 100 static and 100 flight points as ALL other event with the exception of fun scale.

For Static points the 80 point scale does not make it easier to build the models and it just adds confusion to the judging.
The arcane scheme of 40 flight points doubled has NEVER been done correctly in all my experience at The Brodak and The Nats.   Time and again they just use the 40 or 45 points once and fail to double it.  This results in downgrading the value of flying verses static.
Furthermore, the overly simple flight scoring boils to down to takeoff and landing and twins always win.

I am sure things will go much better with 1/2A using the same 100+100 system as the other events.

The 100 flight points will be scored on five 0-20 point items.  It's still 2-lines and no throttles.

bob whitney:
in my opinion = this rule change will kill 1/2A Scale . one, it will eliminate most of the planes now flying in 1/2A scale. there is only one motor set up for throttle and i don't even think it is made any more. 1/2 A's are hard enough to keep running for 10 laps as it is without needing to throttle them down for stop and go or taxing. most fly this event as a second event to fly .not one to put a lot of extra time into .

three line control will mean more inboard drag meaning more tip weight. 2.4 control will mean more weight on a plane that is probably too heavy to begin with.high flight and such will be almost impossible

i say NO to this rule change, Bob Whitney AMA RAD

Keith, dust off the BEAR S?P

Paul Smith:

--- Quote from: bob whitney on March 01, 2021, 11:47:31 AM ---in my opinion = this rule change will kill 1/2A Scale . one, it will eliminate most of the planes now flying in 1/2A scale. there is only one motor set up for throttle and i don't even think it is made any more. 1/2 A's are hard enough to keep running for 10 laps as it is without needing to throttle them down for stop and go or taxing. most fly this event as a second event to fly .not one to put a lot of extra time into .

three line control will mean more inboard drag meaning more tip weight. 2.4 control will mean more weight on a plane that is probably too heavy to begin with.high flight and such will be almost impossible

i say NO to this rule change, Bob Whitney AMA RAD

Keith, dust off the BEAR S?P

--- End quote ---

You missed my point.  I did not propose using throttles.  It's still 2-line no throttle.   I just changed the flight to five things that pay off 20 points each for a total of 100, making the scoring consistant with other scale events.

The current flight plan really only scores takeoff and landing.   Ten level laps is a gimmie that merely bulks up the score.  "Realism" is a joke.  No 1/2A scale plane flys anywhere near realistic.  So the flight boils down to a smooth landing.

My proposal will not disallow any existing models, but it will give single engines models a chance to score full marks and maybe win a contest.

bob whitney:
how are u going to do an unassisted take off or taxi without a throttle

Paul Smith:

--- Quote from: bob whitney on March 01, 2021, 01:15:49 PM ---how are u going to do an unassisted take off or taxi without a throttle

--- End quote ---

Like I said, the Takeoff and Landing will continue as with the current rules.  That's two maneuvers with no change.
Level flight ( a worthless gimme) will be replaced with Low Flight.  Not much of a challenge, but at least something to judge.
High Flight, as done in all other scale classes will be added.
Options will offer multi engine, aerobatics, and complexity as ways to earn up to 20 points.

So here's the flight program:

A.  Takeoff
B. Low Flight
C. High Flight
D. Options
E. Landing

20 points each for a total of 100.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version