News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEED SOME ADVICE ON PLANS  (Read 910 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NEED SOME ADVICE ON PLANS
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »
          OK! So the laser cut parts for the Fokker D VII will be here next week and the molded cowling in about two weeks, but what about the plans. Should the instructions be very detailed or does that keep you from reading them? Should the kit instructions be directed towards the beginer or for the experienced scale model builder? What info would you like to see in the scale booklet? How much scale info should be included on the plans?
          How do you make your instrument panels now? My last scale model was thirty years ago, we used Tatone instruments.  n~

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: NEED SOME ADVICE ON PLANS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »
          OK! So the laser cut parts for the Fokker D VII will be here next week and the molded cowling in about two weeks, but what about the plans. Should the instructions be very detailed or does that keep you from reading them? Should the kit instructions be directed towards the beginer or for the experienced scale model builder? What info would you like to see in the scale booklet? How much scale info should be included on the plans?
          How do you make your instrument panels now? My last scale model was thirty years ago, we used Tatone instruments.  n~

Hi Larry,

The plans can get too detailed like you say.  I always thought the Sterling plans gave a good amount of detail with out going over board.  Brodak's Instruction books seem pretty good. (for a reference)

I think the "Scale Booklet" should include a three view, and maybe two or three documented color schemes for choosing.  A view detail photos of "special areas".

A "printed" instrument panel, layed out correctly in scale, might be of benefit even to those who will scratch build their own panels.  And for Sport, or Stand Off Scale, it could be used (by some builders) on its own.

Good Luck with this kit!
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 01:15:09 PM »
Larry,

The instruction booklet idea is great and I want to comment on one of Bill's suggestions.

The color scheme is a big part of the scale event, so if you pick one scheme and document it to a level that will fulfill all of the requirements for a good score in the static judging part of the contest event, I think you will do a service to the builder. This would include providing one of two other items, decals or stencils. Decals are expensive to have made, I know. But the alternative would be stencils which are much less expensive and one applies them and paints the markings on the surfaces.

The colors could have an FS equivalent or whatever the Germans used in WWI, and convert this to an available hobby color for best effect.

The three views are a given, definitely include those that were used to develop the model. The three view is what the judges used to compare to the model.

Hope to see the model a good success, Larry.

Chris...

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:37:57 PM »
Thank you for your input, it was well received.  H^^
We will show one of the many paint jobs and document it. We will also offer alternatives that might be easier and tell where documentation may be found. There will be a set of decals in the kit and information on the controls and instruments. This is an easy plane to research and that plus the variety of color schemes makes it an easy winner at most contest.
Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here