News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:27:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help... First Scale project  (Read 15275 times)

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
Need help... First Scale project
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
OK, so the deal is this.
I've been invited to participate in the Brazilian Control Line Scale Championship to happen first weekend of november.
Since I have never built a scale model, I thought of building something simple and that would be a good flyer as well...
My choice is for the Bellanca Citabria...
Now, I have no idea how to begin this...
Any and every bit of help is welcome...
And guys, I want to win....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Need help... First Scale project
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 01:53:14 PM »
I would read the rules to see how the static judging is done and what documentation you need. Documentation shows how that one particular full size aircraft is painted and it's features. Remember to show pictures for one airplane, not a generic set of pictures. Get enough pictures to show the judges but you don't want to confuse the judges or prove to them your model is not complete or wrong.

For example if one picture shows 3 details and your model only has 2 of the details, do not put that picture in the documentation package. You just proved to the judge that your model is missing something and you will loose points.

Your goal is have your model look exactly like the full size aircraft only a smaller version. Do not change any numbers, letters, colors. Unlike other CL events where you pick your colors and paint scheme, in scale your colors and paint scheme is set once you pick the full size aircraft you are going to copy.

You might find this page useful on our club website. The information on this web page is based upon the rules here in the United States so you will have to compare the rules that you have to follow. Some of the ideas may be the same for your competition.

https://lafayetteesquadrillecl.wordpress.com/lafayette-esquadrille-cl/cl-models/scale/

It is possible to fly a model with throttle only and be competitive, 1/2 the score is static and 1/2 is flying in the United States so both matter! Also figure out what your flight plan will be before going to the contest and practice that before the contest.

Also consider having your model judged (Static and flying) by someone who knows what they are doing before the contest, hopefully they give you input so that you can fix the problems before going to a real contest.

Good luck!
Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
Bootstrap off someones hard work.  Make sure to verify the lines.

http://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=citabria&Submit=Go

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »
Since it's your first scale contest, I would add this: decide how much effort you're going to put into the thing before hand, and don't get wrapped around the axle doing details.  You're not going to win your first time out, so do your best, and use what you learn for the next time.

I'm not saying you should be slap-dash: do everything that Fred's telling you.  Just don't miss the contest because you're at home trying to make a perfect wheel pant rather than trying to get an acceptable plane done on time.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
Marcus,

November! You really don't have a great deal of time.

FWIW. Winning isn't everything BTW. You can be a Loser, pun intended, and still come out the winner.  ;D

Model size considered?

Will you go kit or scratch built?

Are you sure that's the aircraft you want to model? Are you really sure?

Are there teams, can you team up with someone?

BOM required?

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:38:49 PM »
The rules are FAI F4B, so I will learn them...
Since I got stunt ships OK, this will be my main goal for this year...
We haven't had a scale contest down here for a while, so this is special.
Regarding winning...  VD~ VD~ VD~

I chose the Citabria because I like the real plane very much, and when I was a kid there used to be a kit made here that I wanted to build, but never did.
Besides, not being military makes the detailing easier, and I'm sure it will be a good flier.
I'll go for only throttle...
I'm going to work on some research to find one at na irport nearby and go take a few dozen pics...
Let's see if 30 years +of plastic model building will help now....
I'm concerned about size... Any suggestions on how big I should make it?
There's a ship at the link Phil posted that is around 54 inches in wingspan...
What say you??

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 06:32:07 AM »
FAI has special rules on documentation, I think your documentation gets points on how is displayed.

The Citrabia is a great choice and the smallest I would build is 54", the bigger the model the better it flies. Larger models handle the wind better and have more wing area to handle the weight. The wing loading can also be increased as the model gets bigger. Scale models typically have higher wing loading as compared to a stunt model.

If you build from the kit make sure the outlines matches the 3-view, modify the kit to match the 3-view before you start building. The judges will want a fairly detailed 3-view if you can find one for the Citrabia.

Figure out how you are going to work the throttle, there is 3-line, down the line electronics which have been used in FAI and here in the USA we now can use 2.4 Ghz radio control.

This is the link to my book that info on the some of the throttle control systems available (except 2.4 Ghz RC), this will give some ideas on the throttle systems that are out there. If you can find a JR radio with the DSC technology that works great (page 23).

https://lafayetteesquadrillecl.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/control-line-scale-modeling.pdf

You are also judged on sound/realism so a four stroke would be a great choice

Have fun!
Fred
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:01:36 AM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 06:42:18 AM »
Marcus
After you read the FAI F4B rules you might want to rethink "Throttle Only" operating features.  I would expect the real airplane to use Flaps on landing and also partial flaps on takeoff.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »
Choose a 7ECA or 7KCAB that don't have flaps.
Chris...

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
Choose a 7ECA or 7KCAB that don't have flaps.
Chris...

Flaps are some relatively easy points.

Jim Fruit

Walter Hicks

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Marcus I sent you a PM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »
If you have decided upon the Citrabia, look through catalogs for an RC scale kit.  You should find one that suits you.  That way you will be spared the engineering.  The fixed gear will get you off the "non-retract" penalty which is a killer for retract gear planes modeled with fixed gears.  A four-to-five foot wingspan would be good for CL.
Paul Smith

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 06:35:42 PM »
Thanks to our friend Walter Hicks, there's a Great Planes Super Decathlon kit on the way.
64" of wingspan...
About the flaps and stuff... Well, knowing my competition, I think only throttle will be enough... But I will consider other features...
Let me get the kit, so we can decide together.... I have zero experience with scale models, so I am all ears...
I've got the actual ship to reproduce already... Will take some pics and post here...
Though this is not a stunter, I am very excited to build this...
Leadout thru the wing, no fuselage mounted bellcrank...
4-cycle? Which??

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:56 PM »
Does the actual ship have flaps?  If it does you are going to put flaps on or it won't match your prototype.

You chose a stunt capable ship.  Build it to stunt!

Phil

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 02:34:56 AM »
Thanks to our friend Walter Hicks, there's a Great Planes Super Decathlon kit on the way.
64" of wingspan...
About the flaps and stuff... Well, knowing my competition, I think only throttle will be enough... But I will consider other features...
Let me get the kit, so we can decide together.... I have zero experience with scale models, so I am all ears...
I've got the actual ship to reproduce already... Will take some pics and post here...
Though this is not a stunter, I am very excited to build this...
Leadout thru the wing, no fuselage mounted bellcrank...
4-cycle? Which??

Marcus

Marcus,
The high wing airplanes like this will need a leadout position below the wing to fly level. The same needs for a proper vertical cg inflight go for the Scale ships as much as for the Stunters. Cabin Scale models always struggle for a good bellcrank location because the center of the cabin is the best place for it. Perhaps a bellcrank in the wing and a removeable leadout guide below the wingtip with removable leadouts for static judging? The angles wouldn't be too acute I wouldn't think.
Did you find a particular airplane to model?
Chris...

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »
I don't know Marcus?

You started out with the Citabria now the Super Decathlon? An upgrade possibly with the Super Decathlon's airfoil?  

However, neither aircraft would have been my first choice. I would have choose something like an Extra 300.

I got this thing for the Extra 300.  ;D

After your competitors finish making snide remarks about lackings in your model, you can stunt them to death.  ;D

I do have the art and graphics for both models. Done those graphics before.

But I'll be keeping an eye on this. %^@

Extra 300, trust me!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:50:34 AM by Avaiojet »
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 04:24:29 AM »
Chris, the idea ofhaving leadouts through the wing I got from Dick Mathis's profile Citabria.
I wanted to avoid placing the bellcranck in the fuselage, so I could try to detail the cockpit a little better.
And it would also eliminate de need of a leadout guide...
Mathis's Citabria even has some dihedro...
Well, let the ideas flow.... What you guys think??

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 04:27:00 AM »
Charles

I'll get in touch soon...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »
Chris, the idea ofhaving leadouts through the wing I got from Dick Mathis's profile Citabria.

Marcus

And the Mathis article for his Citabria mentions that the bellcrank/leadouts in the wing did not hamper the way the model flew.  That Mathis Citabria was a profile built for serious stunt. 

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »
Marcus,

I was trying to remember where I saw an Extra 300.  n~

John Rist does great scale modeleing. Ya might want to check out his work.

You'll see his Exrea 300S, at this link.

Worth the look.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,32678.0.html

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 12:42:11 PM »
So, the kit is here already..... H^^

Gonna start studying the conversion to CL...
Will need help boys...

Now I need a nap....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
Marcus
If you have the lead outs running through the wing tip then you will need some Aileron cranked in plus tip weight.  You can help the problem by having the lead outs exit the bottom side of the wing inboard from the tip.  All of these "Fixes" will not help when you try to do Stunts.

If you want to do Stunts with your Scale model then build it like a stunter with the lead out guide level with the vertical CG of the model.  When the model is 99% finished, hang it by the lead outs and adjust the line guide for the wing tips to be exactly in line vertically and the nose slightly nose down.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 06:24:01 PM »
OK, so bad and ood News...
The dumb people organizing the contest decided to reschedule it... and they've advanced the date in 60 days, plus the circle where the contest is supposed to happen does not allow lines longer than 55', so, these have killed my entering in it...
Then, I've been sick... Mosquitto transmitted vírus put me down on my bed for 2 weeks... Planning to visit? Invest in a good repellent...
I've got better, but not 100% yet....
Anyway, I've decided to go for something more ambitious... and the plan is to bring this ship to Brodak's next year and enter a REAL scale contest...
I got lots of things to do to achive this, but it will happen....
I need a couple of weeks to get my life back on track again, and let's start building...
So, that is it.... Sorry that the organizers have done this... It was supposed to be a great contest... Well, was....
Hope to see you at John's...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
It happens.  It sucks.  While you are missing the original contest you have a chance to do a fantastic job for a bigger contest!  Silver lining and all...

Phil

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »
55' lines does not allow for very big models, we fly the big models (12 lbs or heavier on 65' to 70' lines. The models that fly on 55' lines are typically in the 3 lb range.

Too bad to hear about the rescheduling and the line length limitation. You will have a great time at the Brodak contest

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
With diheadral and leadouts , you fit the bellcrank up V neare the top sheeting , and run the leadouts FLAT , so theyre HORIZONTAL . then the plane flies level.

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 09:00:43 AM »
As a longtime fan of anything scale that flies the circle, I've always been drawn to the high wing cabin types.

Chris McMillan's son Michael built a beautiful Mr. Mulligan a few years back, much detail, recall the cowling was borrowed from a Great Lakes kit. 
Walter Hicks' Mulligan was re-kitted with all contest balsa... I've built 2 Sterling Mr. Mulligans, just sport fliers, nice flying airplane. Lands fast, not a long glide...heavy Sterling wood. Ran the bellcrank up high in the last one, lines out the wing, no dihedral. Hinged some on loops, but otherwise O.K., for what it was...(scale planes that size don't fly 'scale'!)

I'm interested in Marcus's Citibria, those larger R/C kits have offered very scale-like lines, albeit some engineering is required for a C/L conversion:  anxious to see the M.O. from the bare structure.

My Top Flite P51 razor back I converted in the '80s was my first departure from 36"-40" semi scale, I wondered why I waited so long to go to 60". 

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »
So, it looks like I have a lot of work ahead...
The date for the Championship has been changed and it will happen on Nov 11/12.
That means I will take a shot at it...
Guys, first model, wanna keep it simple and will make it easy on myself.
I got 3 months...
Can I do it?
Will ready the bench tomorrow. The basic airframe should be easy... What comes next, maybe not so...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »
The "Mark" of excellence.

Marcus, have you decided on the model you will be building for this scale event?

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »
This is the one...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Walter Hicks

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 07:11:44 PM »
Marcus that is a good choice for the ist scale as the high wing is easier to fly ! You may want to try a 2.4 set up so you can use two lines on this it is very easy to do. You can put the bellcrank wherever you want just make a plywood plate and mount it you can use an adjustable leadout guide  both up and down and sideways .

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 07:41:59 PM »
This is the one...

Marcus

The "Mark" of excellence.

Mark,

Nice choice.

I believe I have those graphics someplace, but for a much larger model.

I can size them for your model size. Plans probably have the graphics drawn.

Yes, you can clear them.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 09:35:50 PM »
So, some progress...
Got a OS 70 for the ship, but it's a Cl version, so I'll have to get the RC carb and make it work..
And I have to figure out how a 3-line bellcrank Works...
I see some fun ahead...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 04:14:44 PM »
Make it easy and go for the new radio for throttle.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 08:09:57 AM »
Make it easy and go for the new radio for throttle.

FAI rules, which we follow here, won't allow radio...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
Wing panels almost ready...
Gonna be a tight deadline, but I'll make it...
Any volunteer to help me figure out how to set up a 3-line system?

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
Any volunteer to help me figure out how to set up a 3-line system?

Marcus,

You're gonna need one of these.

Brodak has three line bellcranks, probably plenty to choose from?

Instructions come with the bellcrank.

Marcus, my guess is you won't need help, it's not all that complicated.

Check the "bay" for the handle or possibly someone will give theirs up?

I cannot sell mine.

You could go with 2.4 and it has been mentioned.

Good luck!

Walter Hicks

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »
Marcus Brodak has a DVD on how to do this , Do you need a  3 line handle? I have the DVD I can send you as well as handle. let me know
ok. Control Line World magazine has lot of articles on 3 line systems

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 05:07:08 PM »
I was flying with a older pilot that told me over and over he loved his 3-line system and would try the electronic controls. He told me point blank that he hated the electronic controls but would give it a try, that was in 1995

So he built a model and installed the electronic controls keep telling me he was going to hate it...so on the 1st flight he flew the model without any problems. Used the throttle to land under power and then shut down the motor. Put the handle down walked up to us and only had one question...

"How do I convert these other models with 3-line to electronic controls?"  By the next weekend he had installed electronic controls in all of his models with a servo moving the throttle pushrod.

I know that a lot of pilots won't consider the electronic control and or the current 2.4 Ghz systems but once you try it you can never go back. The 2.4 systems eliminated the wire connecting the electronic unit to the lines and now is really easy.

This is one of my videos that shows how to use some of these systems

2.4 Ghz is the way to go now

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
This stuff just kills me!

In the "Good Ol' Days", CL Scale was top-heavy with entries because the only thing was required was to complete a minimum of ten laps after being static judged.  There were no requirements for throttles, flaps, retracts...and especially no @#$% electronics.  You presented a 'museum scale' model to the judges, then had only to demonstrate that it could fly.

Today, people wonder why CL Scale participation is a mere shadow of what it once was.  That's because it's become overly complicated.....ruled in part by electronics.

<sigh> I miss the Old Days.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2015, 12:02:13 PM »
Don't we all. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2015, 12:26:56 PM »
Don't we all. H^^

???  Not me!!  That was when I had to "work" for a living, hard work .... daily work .... !!!  It was so rough I really couldn't afford to just stay in bed with a stinkin' head cold much less for the pure pleasure of stayin' home messin' around with the little woman while the kids were in school or out playing!!   ;D  He-- no ... I don't miss the "old days"!!  Besides I can get a couple of Aleve nowadays and they shur' didn't have that back in 'da day!!   LL~ LL~

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
This stuff just kills me!

In the "Good Ol' Days", CL Scale was top-heavy with entries because the only thing was required was to complete a minimum of ten laps after being static judged.  There were no requirements for throttles, flaps, retracts...and especially no @#$% electronics.  You presented a 'museum scale' model to the judges, then had only to demonstrate that it could fly.

Today, people wonder why CL Scale participation is a mere shadow of what it once was.  That's because it's become overly complicated.....ruled in part by electronics.

Linton Keith had a Lancaster with four throttled engines, retracts, moving turrets, bomb bays, dropping bombs, lights and brakes, in 1968. How far does one have to go back to reach that winning Scale model that just flew level for ten laps?
I think there were quite a few Nats entries in Scale this year and the participation is on par with R/C there.
What we need are more Scale contests locally, Ted and you and Cholla Chppers do well, SoCal has one contest, maybe we can do better.
When I was a little boy, those tinplate airliner toys with starting engines, opening doors, stewardess came out to greet you, lights flashed, were just what I wanted in my flying Scale model, so I don't think the wooden whittled toy horse is the answer for the future of model airplanes, Mike. Though I do appreciate a good, old fashioned Scale model.
Chris...

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 04:57:33 AM »
I've set up many 3-line control systems dating back to 1970.  It's tricky, but possible.

I modify the handle to make equal length lines at the handle and airplane and equal length lines.
Set it up as PUSH for HIGH speed.  The opposite will work, but not as well.

Getting the three lines and two pushrods to NOT interfere is the biggest problem.  Do the leadouts first, then the throttle, then the updown pushrod.  Get one thing to work at a time.

You might need to make an extra-long throttle arm for the engine to get rid of excess movement.

Set it up so the engine doesn't quit at low speed, but you can kill it by tweeking the middle line.
Paul Smith

Jim Roselle

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »
I set up my first 3 line system recently and it to be time consuming but not neccassrily difficult.

Jim

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 12:18:16 PM »
Ok..

Thanks everybody... I got a J. Roberts(?) bellcrank and handle, actually two from a friend.. One is upright and the other in inverted...
When they're here, we will decide which one and how to do it... Meanwhile, let me build....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2015, 06:32:05 PM »
The basic fuselage structure is done. I am going to sheet the bottom and then wait for the engine and control system to get here, so I can work out the conversion for CL...
And time to work on that documentation... ;D

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
Marcus looks like your are making nice progress. You may want to look at the real version of the plane and make sheet stab,elevators, rudder. No sure if the real one shows ribs or not.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »
[

[/quote]

Heck, for me, these ARE the good old days!  I refuse to let change rule my attitude toward my life's joys.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »
This is getting more and more interesting...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2015, 06:34:09 AM »
Marcus,

Coming along nicely.  H^^

The Super Decathlon has a fabric covered fuselage, doesn't look like the kit you have offers this  scale construction? The wood sides just look straight?

Will you have a fuselage that is fabric covered over longerons like the actual aircraft?

Will you loose points if you don't?

Charles

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »
Charles, right now all focus is on building... Finishing comes later...LOL...
Because our snail was on a strike, I just got the 3-line bellcrank and handle.. I thought it would be better to have the bellcrank before going on with the fuselage... I've placed the mount 1/2" below the engine thrust line, so I have room for a pilot figure. Now, I'll buy the motor mount, which I thought i had one... LOL... Then, make the throttle work... That should be interesting... I was Lucky and won't have to make any crazy thing.
The wing is one piece, missing the ailerons, which I'll glue to the TE and the tips, plus the strut mounts..
I'll go check the real thing tomorrow, and hope to get some help from the flying club, since I got my pilot's licence there... Then, I'll build the tail.
No cockpit details except from the dash and the pilot.. I am afraid of messing with the bulkheads and weakening the structure..
I got less than 30 days to do this...
Anyway, it will be fun....
Gonna get a little more done and post a few pics so you guys can tell me what you think.
FAI rules suck... Wish we had your Sport Scale here....

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
Marcus,

Do you have full size plans with that kit?

Are the graphics drawn on the plans?

Charles

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 05:03:33 PM »
Well, I didn't make it to the championship...
Though I tried as hard as I could...
Anyway, when I started this, I knew it might happen...
Gonna continue this build until it's finished, since I don't have to rush anymore, I will take my time to do it properly.
I have enjoyed this a lot... It is a different kind of building, and I am really curious to see how I handle a 3-line system.
Sorry Charles, It took me a little while to pop up here... Yes, the plans have the graphics, not exactly like the one I am doing but it's a reference anyway.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »
Marcus, I understand what you are saying, it took me 5+ years to finally build and complete a Scale Model that I kept saying I was going to do!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here