News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ryan PT-22  (Read 1716 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Ryan PT-22
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
This model has been hanging on the wall for awhile.  Since the Jenny is ready to go to Muncie, I thought I'd see if it could be finished up enough to be a fun scale entry.  As of this morning, she's ready for a test hop, but there is a lot of detail to be added yet.  All the major stuff is there, and Joe Schmekldorf, the test pilot is raring to go, maybe Saturday morning.  The balance looks pretty good, a trifle nose heavy.

It has a Turnigy 800kV motor, Phoenix 35 ESC and Clancy Arnold speed control.  I'm setting up lines to give a 60 ft flying radius.  The weight looks like a shade under 3 pounds.

Regards to all,

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: Ryan PT-22
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
John
Is it an optical illusion or does the PT-22 have a swept back wing?

That is an interesting subject to model.

See you in 21 days,
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
The PT-22 has slightly more than 4 degrees of sweep. The PT-21 does also, whereas the Menasco powered earlier versions (STA derivatives) had straight wings.  Opinions about why the sweep was added vary, one reason was to give the plane stall/spin characteristics more like a fighter, another reason was just correct for added weight having moved the CG aft too much. I don't know which one is cause and which one is effect. Makes for some interesting reading though, the prototype will spin at the drop of a hat.

I built this plane because I liked the prototype and it was a chance to experiment with metal covering without having to cover the whole plane.  The prototype lands well, I hope the model does too. Shooting touch-and-go's is fun.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »
They snap very well, and are very dangerous. Jim Orten and Jimmy Maloney were killed in 1983 snap rolling a PT-22 near Falcon Field, Mesa, Arizona after an airshow. These were highly experienced pilots with talent. They are easy to aft load and must be treated carefully.

Slightly nose heavy sounds good. it might need more. The ST's need to be very nose heavy it seems.

The model looks really well built, I'm sure it'll look great when it's detailed out too!
Chris...

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
Great, John,
If you're making the trek to the nats, the more events to enter the better!!  I've always wanted to fly the full scale ship, but with Chris' input, maybe I've changed my mind!!!!  I'm too old for that kind of adventure!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »
Will,

Here's a link to a pilot report on the PT-22.  Interesting if you've considered flying one.  I found this when looking for info about the flight characteristics so I could fly it in a scale fashion.

http://airbum.com/pireps/PirepPT-22.html

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
John
If it flies like they are saying, then you should be ready to call "Crash" like Jack Sheeks did years ago.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
That's a neat article, thanks John.
This little comment caught my eye;  "Today, the PT-22 lives on in a love-it-or-leave-it environment. It's impossible to discuss the little air-plane without stall-spin horror stories running rampant."
Okay, that's enough for me to endorse the "leave it" part.  The article is really as complete a report as one could ask for, I loved it.  (Still think it's a cute little airplane!)

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »
It seems to be one of those planes with a narrow speed envelope, marginal power and too heavy.  One wonders what would have ensued had it had some anti-spin fixes (known even then) like tip slots, wing root LE stall strips or even some washout on the tips. 

Other planes of the era, like the Lockheed Ventura were know for being unforgiving when too slow in a bank, like a turn onto final, for instance. A Ventura  wiped out a chunk of Australia's wartime leadership in an accident like that.

I'm with you, I'm a Cessna 150 kind of guy.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:53 AM »
The southern Minnesota Wing of the C.A.F. has a PT-22 that they restored to flying condition.  the wing was here in Duluth on June 4th.  the pilot who took me up in the BT-13 said the PT-22 was easier to fly. 

Tom Wilk

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
"I'm with you, I'm a Cessna 150 kind of guy."

That works for me, too, except in the winter with a 6 foot plus student with broad shoulders!  (Then, the Cherokee wasn't even a favorite!)

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »
First flights on the PT-22 this evening at the local school yard.  Went pretty well, it's too nose heavy and needs a bit more tip weight.  Does gentle wingovers and a couple of big loops.  The 2200 mAh battery is more than adequate to complete a scale flight routine.  Now to get the rest of the essential details (like windshields) put on there.  It actually feels a bit like I imagine a real PT would, being a little on the porky side.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »
So here's a pic of the PT ready to load into the car.  I'm leaving on Monday, but am out of time to work on it.  Looks OK if you don't get too close.  :##

Leaving early Monday AM on the long drive.  Hope the weather is OK in Muncie as it hasn't been looking very good -- thunderstorms in the area every day and windy.  We'll see...

John

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »
John
I will be looking for you Friday morning.
My Cell Phone # 317-987-8732

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529