News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-D printer.  (Read 2975 times)

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
3-D printer.
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Wounder if anyone has used a 3-D printer to make scale parts?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
Re: 3-D printer.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
If they haven't they soon will! I was looking at one at Home Depot this week for $1000.00. They had a selection of small things made on it, pretty cool! I could envision all kinds of detail parts that could be made. All it takes is $.
mike potter

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Seems like a chance for another hobby home business.  Someone with the skills to design and make custom parts.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »
The 3-D printers require the right software to create the 3-D models, once you have a 3-D model you can "print" it, clean it up, paint it...

The overall cost should also include the CAD software

That technology is used in industry all the time, sometimes the surface finish is kinda rough so it would require some prep work to get a really smooth surface.

It's only a matter of time before it gets used for our industry!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Yes the Spacewalker pilot figure was a scan of the actual person who flies the model (Grant Hiestand), they were at the Toledo show but I don't see them on the list for this year. Hopefully they show up again in 2015...good stuff

You can rig it to attach your Mini-Me head to ready to go pilot bodies

This is a picture of Grant with his Spacewalker

http://www.3dfigureworks.com/

Fred

Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »
Sorta bouncing off what Fred said:

If the market for "hobbyist" 3D printers goes the way other "home" and "hobbyist" technology things have, there's no guarantee that the printer you buy will actually work with the file formats that the professionals use.  Some companies will do it out of laziness, others will intentionally try to bind you to their product.

I strongly suggest that if you're interested in buying a 3D printer you make sure you know the full score before you lay down your money.  I'm not going to say what you ought to do, but you ought to at least know.

(I could use a friend with a 3D printer.  I have a pilot figure that I want to make for stunt; if I knew someone who could print it out with thin enough walls for it to not weigh much, then I'd seriously consider making a 3D model of it rather than trying to craft it out of plastic and balsa wood).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »
3-D printers are beginning to see a lot of work in the plastic model world for details.  Some pretty incredible items!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »
My local library has one available for use.  Being public access they restrict the size of the model to printing in 1 hour or less.  The material fee is about $5.  Even these restrictions allow a lot of things to be printed for our use.  Unfortunately, I've been waiting for the machine to come back from the repair shop, it's been out of service for a month now.  One of the biggest roadblocks to 3D printing is not the machine but the access, knowledge & skill to create the model in a decent 3D CAD program.  When the 3D model is converted to the print model it is actually printed as a hollow model with a honeycomb internal structure for support.  You can specify the wall thickness as well as the percentage (density) of the internal structure.  It prints faster, saves material and is surprisingly lightweight.

I designed a cowling for a small twin electric powered scale model that I want to print.  To view the sample 3D model, open the attached file in Adobe Reader X or above, click on the image to activate the 3D view and drag the image to rotate in 3D.  Once I get it printed I'll let you know what kind of dimensional tolerance it prints at.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 05:09:19 AM »
My son-in-law has a printer he borrowed from a friend. We tested it last weekend and he's making parts for a quad copter. Second on the list is the parts to make another printer! We went to Lowes and bought aluminum stock to make the frame and a lot of the rest is on order. He's using software that he uses at his job. Apparently, his company has several 3D printers. They also have a 3D scanner!

That lead to a discussion about making some scale parts. Another friend is into collection old Cox airplanes, apparently has well over 100. He needs a couple of the small propellers used on the wing of a Stuka so we're working on a plan to try and make a couple. We'll see how it goes.

What type parts would you be interested in, John?
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:10:39 AM »
My son-in-law has a printer he borrowed from a friend. We tested it last weekend and he's making parts for a quad copter. Second on the list is the parts to make another printer! We went to Lowes and bought aluminum stock to make the frame, printing the parts he can and a lot of the rest is on order. He's using software that he uses at his job. Apparently, his company has several 3D printers. They also have a 3D scanner!

That lead to a discussion about making some scale parts. Another friend is into collection old Cox airplanes, apparently has well over 100. He needs a couple of the small propellers used on the wing of a Stuka so we're working on a plan to try and make a couple. We'll see how it goes.

What type parts would you be interested in, John?
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline John Jordan

• Balsadust
  • 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:06 AM »

HI All  Hobby King has one for sale 450.00 dollars I think take a look.

THANKS   John Jordan
John Jordan    ama # 5939

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here