News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:33:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Planes Spitfire and Corsair  (Read 810 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Great Planes Spitfire and Corsair
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
One of the Radio Control ARF's that cleans up really nice for CL scale is the Great Planes Combat Series ARF Corsair and Spitfire. I have been flying the Corsair for 5 years now and recently recovered it and gave it new markings. The Spitfire was striped and recovered and painted with Latex house paint and added the wng fillet and details on the bottom of the wing to make it look better.

both models are powered with a OS-35FP, the corair is very quick with the 35FP. Both have single channel electronic controls and insulated lines.

Fred Cronenwett
Wichita, KS
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Great Planes Spitfire and Corsair
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:51:47 PM »
Fred:

Very nice.  If you happened to take pictures during the strip & refinish of the Corsair, I'd be very interested.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
I basically toolk the stock ARF, pulled off all of the covering, I made a new elevator, Stab and fin and then recovered the plane with the same type of Monokote  that was on the plane. I added the main gear and tail wheel that was it, the Corsair out of the box is well balanced and does not need much of any modification for CL other than the Bellcrank. They recommend a much smaller engine, but with the 35FP you can roll out 15 feet and climb straight up just like the real corsair could do, this model can be flown with a lot of spirit since it has alot of power for it's size.

this is a video we took from my camera plane with the corsair in formation, a great flight.

I don't have any pictures of the rebuild since it was just pulling off the covering and putting new Monokote on.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »
 Very cool Fred! I saw that video somewhere a while back, awesome job with it. y1 I've looked at that Corsair kit many times with the same thoughts of a C/L conversion.

Where is the circle/field in the video located? Man, it looks like Disney World for C/L!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 04:32:34 AM »
believe it or not that cirlce where the video was shot was in a friends back yard, he made is own flying circle at his house. One of the nicest circles I have even flown on, smooth with no cracks and never collects water. It's located in the Denver area.

the video was fun to make, when I get there again there will be more of that with the formation flights.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:42:47 AM »
VERY COOL!! rd
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
I know where the circles are.   Lynn Boss' back yard.   Him and his wife hosted a feed in his garage/work shop.   Great couple. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here