News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:52:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jenny update  (Read 868 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Jenny update
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
I've been slowly adding some more details to the Jenny.  Though cockpit detail is not judged, I always intended to finish out the cockpits and here is the rear panel ready to install.  The instruments are made of aluminum and nylon turnings with laser printed faces.  The faces were derived from antique instrument pictures found on the web.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of building subsections of the plane, like this one.

The second shot is of the fuel gauge. The face of the gauge came from Brian Karli who is building a full scale Jenny --the ultimate scale model.  If you've never seen his web site, it's worth a look.

http://curtissjennyrestoration.blogspot.com/

John

John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jenny update
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »
John...I expect you will be flying the Jenny at Eugene for NW CL Regionals. I want to be sure and watch the flight, because I didn't get to see it last year. I hope it's calm enough for your flight.  #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »
At this time, I will not be there.  My wife is having surgery the 25th on a badly torn rotator cuff.  She won't be able to move her right arm for awhile, so won't be able to beat me so much mw~

Sorry to miss, I really enjoyed last year.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »
John, you turn me green with envy with your panel and the fuel gauge!  Nice work.  NO, GREAT WORK!  "Nice" doesn't say it good enough.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
Will, thank you very much. 

The hardest part of this stuff, and at the same time part of the fun, is finding out what the pieces are really supposed to look like. I'm sure you know, you can really follow some arcane pathways researching.  So much easier and faster now with the internet, though it's still necessary to dig out the books too.  I never have figured out how the Squadron/Signal folks come up with the information they have in their books.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
On Memorial Day, I went over to meet with a friend who has built an RC Proctor Jenny, for its first flight.  His club has a nice grass flying field about 30 minutes from where I live and it was a perfect venue for the flight and some pictures.

He has been working on this Jenny for about two years and was somewhat nervous about the maiden voyage, but all went well.  The Jenny lifted off smoothly and with a bit of trim adjustment proceeded to put a fine flight with a number of low passes and a touch and go.  It lands like a feather, pretty much the same as the U/C version.  Lovely to watch!!

This one is also electric and roughly the same battery/esc/motor setup as mine.

I had a good exercise in field assembly, as it was the first time I had the wings off and then back on again.  Although I didn't fly, it was an opportunity to have two Jennies in one spot.

Altogether a fun morning

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:25 AM »
Nice pictures John,
we missed your model, and you, this year at the Regionals.
Hope to see you again next year
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:01:23 AM »
Thanks, Mark.  I missed seeing the crowd as well, though it sounds like there wasn't much in the way of Jenny weather.  Also missed getting one of the famous T-shirts... :'(   Plenty of spectacular stunters, I see.

Several personal events conspired to keep me grounded.  Next year!
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
there are still tshirts available from John,, and yes I think they are the best shirts yet,, though I may be a bit biased?
actually Sunday morning was beautifull, cool overcast, calm. well until my entry into the outside loops when the wind shifted 180 degrees,, now THAT was fun,, the Avenger doesnt do that well as a kite,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »
I lve the pics of the Jenny's sitting together.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here