News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:13:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Opinion on Leaflet drop as an option?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Opinion on Leaflet drop as an option?
« on: October 25, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
Do you think the Leaflet drop is a valid option for CL scale? Basically preload the launch tube in an open cockpit model and drop a bunch of small leaflets during a pass?

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Opinion on Leaflet drop as an option?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 12:28:40 AM »
Hi Fred,

The rules certainly allow for options other than those listed.  The rules do state that the scale operation should "be within the capabilities of the aircraft."

For a leaflet drop, I would think the guidelines would be similar to one of the variations described for a bomb drop.

Keith

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:36:16 AM »
It was used by a few competitors at the World Championships I attended. Dale Campbell of the U.S. team used it. I don't know how it tended to score. I would hope the static judges would deduct for any non-scale mechanism that is visible.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:40 AM »
It was used by a few competitors at the World Championships I attended. Dale Campbell of the U.S. team used it. I don't know how it tended to score. I would hope the static judges would deduct for any non-scale mechanism that is visible.

Chuck,

Were the leaflets cut to scale size? Who did the clean up?

Ever see a modeler with a fire bomber drop fire retardant?

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
Were the leaflets cut to scale size?
 Yes, just scraps of paper.
Who did the clean up?
  Mother Nature; the wind eventually blew them away.

No

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
On that subject, I want to weigh in on the subject of the same option being repeated.  For example, I do not believe that a contestant should get 10 points each for dropping bombs, fuel tanks and leaflets on the same flight.  Once is enough. 

At The Brodak last year, a contestant flew an ME-163 with smoke rockets attached.  He called the smoke rockets by three different names and was given 30 points for doing the same thing three times.  This was a VERY BAD piece of scoring by the flight judges.  It was not known by the other contestants before it was too late.

We flew C-47 in Vietnam and some did have leaflet dispensers.  The flight mechanic would stuff handfuls of propaganda down a sheet metal chute.  In THE CL drop option, the dropped stores need not be scale.
Paul Smith

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:18:52 AM »

No

A modeler from our area built a Ranch Hand C-123 and planned to spray orange, but he crashed the plane before he had a chance to use the spray in a contest.
Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 03:38:59 PM »
Fred,
There was a Ukranian immigrant to the US that used a leaflet drop from his Scale biplane in SoCal during the late 90's, early 2000's. Seems totally legit. His model was the typical eastern block style masterpiece.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here