News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NASA ANNOUNCES $10,000.00 PAYOUT:  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
NASA ANNOUNCES $10,000.00 PAYOUT:
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »
 :) I am excited to announce that I found today on the NASA scale sight the announcement that next year in September they are holding an FAI scale contest both C/L and R/C in Muncie. The big deal is the $10,000.00 in prize money being offered. More info on www.nasascale.org. If you have ever wanted to try scale now is the time. I will be there.

Dick Byron

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
Re: NASA ANNOUNCES $10,000.00 PAYOUT:
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 07:09:50 AM »
Dick;
    If you are the mister Byron, I think you are, I was expecting to see you there as this is also the FAI team trials for selecting the team for 2008. Are you going to be flying your T-6? Mindy Alberty should have her new Ryan PT-22 ready by then.

Leroy

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »
You bet your arm I will be there. Team trials too. The Texan is getting closer to being finished. Go to www.dickbyron.com and check it out. I think the team trials will be in August.

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 10:11:43 AM »
Dick;
    I just found out that the Team selection will be in Sept at the USA FAI 2007 scale championships for adults. If there is a team selection for a junior team it will be held at the NATs in August. That way more juniors will be able to attend without missing school. That is if we get to have a junior team for F4b. ???

Leroy

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »
I just got back in town. That is good news for vacation time usage but bad for the possible junior fliers maybe. Anyway it is good for the scale event and I will be there.

j1

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:08:50 AM »
I just learned that the FAI contest in September will be for USA contestants only. Mike Gretz told me they have had 6 inquires from other countries. This is our team selection so no outside contestans. ;D

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
In a sense it is too bad the foreign competitors can't compete. I would enjoy seeing their competitive models and rubbing elbows with them. But the money was donated to see if it would encourage participation by modelers from the USA and strengthen the competition to get on our team. I can't help but wonder if they were really mostly interested in the competition; a $2000 first prize probably wouldn't cover the cost of the trip.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 06:47:30 PM »
Chuck,   
     I agree it would be nice however the money is designed to get more USA fliers out. The AMA wants to see some more fliers. This should get them.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:35:09 AM »
It is not the AMA that is behind this. A private individual put up the prize money. I was involved early on because I was asked to be the event director; I declined because I wanted to try out for the team. I heard that there was opposition to a money contest from some at AMA. I suspect NASA is doing the vast majority of the organizing and seeking additional sponsors for such things as judging expenses.

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »
Chuck,
      I didn't say the AMA was behind this. What I meant is the AMA wants to see more participation in the FAI scale program or they will reduce their funding for the teams. The individual that is sponsoring this is one great guy to do this. It is his desire to get as many fliers to enter as possible.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 04:12:38 PM »
Dick;
    I just found out that the Team selection will be in Sept at the USA FAI 2007 scale championships for adults. If there is a team selection for a junior team it will be held at the NATs in August. That way more juniors will be able to attend without missing school. That is if we get to have a junior team for F4b. ???

Leroy

September is the traditional time for Team Trials in many events.  Back in 1979 I set up the F2d TT this way.  Reasons:

1. Flyers get all year to prepare.
2. TT should not be combined with other events.  Flyers need to concentrate.
3. Closer to the WC.

We started having a "Junior Award Winner" in F2d before the FAI added a junior program. 

The FAI's Junior Program is a really great thing.    It allows one youngster per nation per event to fly in a genuine World Championship.

For the kids, it's super.  If you can get something in the air that meets the specs, you have a better-than-average chance of making the team.

The general procedure is for the junior to approach his counciler or principle and explain that he has a chance to represent his country (The United States of America) in an "Olympic-like" World Championship, in a high-tech event to boot!  He offers to make up his homework and do a special report on the TT.

Absence approved!  Case closed.  Mission Accomplished !

Plan B - call in sick.

Paul Smith

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:45:23 AM »
Paul;
    The Junior Team trial will be in August at the NATs, and it looks like it will be a team of three. If we can get three juniors to try out for it.

Leroy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here