News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak P-51  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Brodak P-51
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:56:58 AM »
Scale guys, what is the general opinion of detailing a Brodak P-51B to a sacle apperance. I was thinking of adding a new leading edge at the wing root to make a more "Mustang like" wing. adding machine gun barrell fairings, spent case chutes, etc to give a more realistic appearance. Is this kit worth the effort? I may like to warm up on it before doing other warbird paint schemes.

I saw a pic of a Brodak kit made into a D, and it looked good I thought.

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
Re: Brodak P-51
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:50:15 AM »
Greg;
    Get a 3-view and see how close you can come to making it look like the three view. I have not built the Brodak P-51 so I can not say how close it is. You may need to work on the outline of the wing, and it may need to be moved to the correct position in the fuselage. Check the shape and proportions of the tail feathers. I have changed the stab and elevators on several planes to get them closer to scale. Put a throttle on it and have at it. Throttle will definitely help your flight scores.

Leroy

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:26:28 AM »
Is this the one you saw? It came from SShobbies web page. Built by Don Thibault. Looks great.
Leester
ama 830538

Online chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 12:30:16 PM »
Greg,
These profile kits are stunt models ( I have had three) and generally do not get good static scores in scale competition. The details you talked about will not overcome the major scale deviation of the wing that is derived from the Nobler. The judges we have had at the Nats will make major deductions for any deviation from scale that enhances the flight capabilities--enlarged tail surfaces, thick symetrical airfoils, relocated landing gear, etc. Your local experience may vary.
Chuck
Nats 2006 C/L Event Director

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:51:11 PM »
Yea Leester, thats the one,  f~    really cool, I like it.

I almost did my B like this before I traded it.....I can still build it from plans tho

Greg

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
Hi Chuck, thanks for that info. I see I will need some rules, and maybe have to just attend a scale meet and see what is exactly looked at. I know I will get gobs of good help here, but seeing first hand is hard to beat. I may not do the P-51B as a scale model then, there are other kits that are way closer to the real proportions I am sure. When I am ready , I'll get on this board and ask many questions......

Greg

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:19:37 PM »
Hi Greg,

While I'm not (yet) a scale competitor, I have hung out at the NATS and especially local scale contests.  What you were talking about doing is what I've seen a good bit of done locally and even at Brodak's in "fun" or Profile scale.  Getting started is the "Big" thing, and learning the 3 line system of take offs, taxi, landing, etc., might just be easier with that Brodak plane.

Of course, as you go up the food chain, you will have to get much more "scale" in your builds.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 07:38:16 AM »
Taxi !!!????  I didnt know you had to taxi the plane. Three lines are that different? Hmmm, very intresting. Sounds fun. I dont think I'll be building a scale plane very soon, but I have an intrest in this event. I think I better see with my own eyes first.

Maybe I will do that B model to get my feet wet. I can do a little "moving things around". When I build a plastic kit, I alway check locations of surface details, wingspans, chord, and shape of the curves (the hardest for me, all eyeball) and then set about correcting things. My biggest challenge was adding panels to an old Monogram Wild Cat. The surface detail were way off, and the wingspan was too big. I didnt worry about alot of the other things, but I did correct the cowl flaps, exhast, and add a cockpit. So I like doing this sort of stuff. The three line rig is completly new to me tho.

Thanks Bill

:) Greg

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 08:31:29 AM »
Greg;
    Instead of the three line system you could use one of the electronic systems like the one from Clancy Arnold. His systems are pretty reasonable especially for the single function unit. and you can even use your favorite handle.

Leroy

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 10:41:21 PM »
Leroy,

How do I go about contacting Clancy Arnold and checking out his system?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 05:04:25 AM »
Joe;
    Clancy's email address is clancyarnold@juno.com. Send him an email and he can send you some info. He also had a write up in the August issue of Model Aviation in the CL scale column.

Leroy

Offline keith trimner

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 08:05:54 AM »
I have seen the two line electronic system in use and it seams the way to go       ~>

Offline Leroy Heikes

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 08:23:29 AM »
Hello Keith:
    Glad to see you made it.

Leroy

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
At Brodaks, what I seen was the radio stuff in use.   Seems they are getting it down and one I witnessed was electric all the way.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 04:57:36 AM »
For Scale you need to have good outlines that match the 3-view you are using and have a throttle control system. You can use 3-line systems, "down the line" electronic controls like Clancy's, or the new 2.4 Ghz radio control unit that is easier to set up. The judges look at the 3-view during static judging and compare it to your model, any deviations from the 3-view will result in a lower static score.

Learning how to fly with throttle control is not hard just takes some practice.

If you are at the Nats drop by the Scale circle and ask me to see some documentation and what the judges are looking for.

Remember that the Semi-scale stunt model can be used in Fun scale but will suffer in Profile scale competition. the biggest reason for the point deduction is because the outlines on a Semi-scale stunt model have been modified and the markings don't match a full size aircraft. Also our scale models do not put our AMA number on the wing. Even in Fun scale the judges will be looking for a throttle control system.

You can easily add a 2.4 Ghz control system to control the throttle on a stunt model that is already built and still fly with your existing lines. The CL scale column I wrote for the MA JUne issue covered all forms of throttle control systems that are out there.

Land softly,
Fred Cronenwett
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:48:33 AM by Fred Cronenwett »
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here