News:

• May 14, 2024, 11:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new P.O.S. - The Bobcat  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Jim Fruit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
My new P.O.S. - The Bobcat
« on: March 02, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
Hi Guys:

Below are some pictures of my Bobcat. It is not one hundred percent complete as yet. I need to complete the scale props, door handles, exhaust stacks (straight pipes), two antennae under the chin, a leather boot for the tail wheel stem, the wing tip lights (the tail lights are in place in the tail cone), The leadout guide (it will be mounted on top of the wing and removable). That is about all I can think of for now. It sounds like a lot, but it really is not.

The model is 62" wingspan, weighs 7.5 pounds and has about 4.5 square feet of wing area and balances at 28 percent with the wheels retracted. It is all electric. It has two Himax brushless motors of about 30 c.i. comparative capacity. They give the model a capacity of about 170 watts per pound! The motors will be controlled by Castle Creations Thunderbird-54 ESC's with BEC. The model has two E-Flite 85 degree electric retracts. All will be controlled by one of Clancy Arnold's four channel electronic controls.

The model is completely balsa covered with fiberglass. The finish is Home Depot Behr paint with a Rustoleum satin clear over spray. I am always experimenting with finishes. The graphics are by CFC Graphics (thanks Charles).

Due to several illnesses, this model has been at least two years in the making. Hope you enjoy it.

Jim Fruit

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Re: My new P.O.S. - The Bobcat
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
Jim, that is one beautiful airplane. What class will you fly it in? You should do very well in any class. Hey guys lookout we have stiff competition here, bring your A-game because Jim is.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »
Now I remember why I like scale so much!  Beautiful! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:09:19 PM »
Jim, that is one beautiful airplane. What class will you fly it in? You should do very well in any class. Hey guys lookout we have stiff competition here, bring your A-game because Jim is.

Blessings
Allen

Thanks, Allen, for your kind words. The intended class was sport scale. However, The plane may never compete, not at the Nats anyway. You probably remember how I was unable to fly my Speedster at last year's Nats. It was simply because I did not have the mental capacity left to remember all of the components needed for flying. Too close (one month) to major surgery and I had not recovered enough. Well, I have had two more surgeries since and lately I have been diagnosed with cancer. I am currently going through a regimen of radiation every day for two months. There just is not much left of this old body and I don't think I will ever be able to fly again.

Jim

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 07:38:49 PM »
Jim, so sorry to hear this news. If there is anything I can do for you don't hesitate to call, I will surely be praying for your condition. Again, nice airplane.
Blessings
Allen

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »
Jim,

You should consider Team scale, both the pilot and yourself would have to be in attendance but it could be done. Great looking airplane!

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 01:15:11 AM »
Dear Jim,
Good luck with your fighting cancer. That radiation is tough, but you seem tougher.
Your model is fantastic! If you do feel well enough to go to contests or the Nats, the Team Scale was made for this. Great looking ship, a well built and prepped model, well flown by a great pilot is the way to go. We'd all love to see it flown, sir.
Bravo on the old Bamboo Bomber, beautiful. (My father got his Multi Engine Rating in one in the early 50's, then was off to Davis-Monthan AFB to ferry an employer's Douglas Invader!)
Chris... 

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »
Hi Jim, this ship is typical of your great skills in building and attention to detail.  Fine job, as always!!  I pray you walk through this radiation and any possible further treatments of any kind and whip the cancer. 
You're a special guy and we all want to see you cancer free.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Jim:

The plane looks really good. 

I hope the radiation treatment takes hold and works.  I know it (and chemo) takes a lot out of a person, so if you're just going by how you feel now, you're going to take a pretty grim view of life.

Hang in there!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »
Jim, just want to say the plane looks great.  I pray also that you will beat this cancer so you can see this gorgeous bird fly. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »
Jim the model is beautiful

You have wife and my prayers

Dumb question,.... I did try to not ask this with Google searches

what is a P.O.S. Bobcat?
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:34:30 PM »
Jim the model is beautiful

You have wife and my prayers

Dumb question,.... I did try to not ask this with Google searches

what is a P.O.S. Bobcat?
[/quote

Fred (chuckle) pieceofshit.

Jim

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions, Guys. I am aware of Team Scale. I also am aware that last year we started flying with proxy fliers. However, I also have one more mitigating circumstance. My wife is a bit of an invalid. In the past, I was able to leave her at home alone for the four days that it took me to participate in the Nats. Of late, however, I don't believe it would be wise to leave her alone for any extended period of time. It is hell to get old.

Jim

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 05:51:14 AM »
Jim, is there my possable way to make a one day contest work? Maybe St Louis, Sugar Grove, Milwaukee or even Dayton where there will be several scale pilots there? Just a thought. Don't mean to put any pressure on you, would just like to see you involved as long as you would like and can. We all like having you around.

Blessings
Allen

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 06:57:18 AM »
Jim, is there my possable way to make a one day contest work? Maybe St Louis, Sugar Grove, Milwaukee or even Dayton where there will be several scale pilots there? Just a thought. Don't mean to put any pressure on you, would just like to see you involved as long as you would like and can. We all like having you around.

Blessings
Allen

Yes, Allen. Sugar Grove is only one hour south of me. I am hoping for that one at least.

JHF

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
Jim,

Ohhhhhhhh My Gosh!

What an outstanding example of a great looking Bobcat.

You did a wonderful job Jim, I do hope you can do that contest.

Your model should be seen and enjoyed by others.

Take care.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »
The Bobcat is superb. Thank you so much for sharing it with us who only dream of building anything even close to what you have done. So sorry to hear of you and your wife's illnesses. I can only pray that there will be better days ahead for you both.

My wife just got out of the hospital last week, and had been sick since Thanksgiving. I have a bad back and some days not so bad, and other days not good at all. Old age does bring with it some trials. My heart goes out to you both and hope you get a chance to fly that gorgeous bird.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »
The Bobcat is superb. Thank you so much for sharing it with us who only dream of building anything even close to what you have done. So sorry to hear of you and your wife's illnesses. I can only pray that there will be better days ahead for you both.

My wife just got out of the hospital last week, and had been sick since Thanksgiving. I have a bad back and some days not so bad, and other days not good at all. Old age does bring with it some trials. My heart goes out to you both and hope you get a chance to fly that gorgeous bird.

Jim:
There is no need to just dream about creating your own project. Just get a set of William Wylam three views, create a balsa box for a fuse, build your own airfoiled wing, add an a couple of motors and paint and...voila, you have created your own dream. Oh yes , and obligate a couple of years also. I don't consider the loss of the time as a negative, however. I have never been able to own a real plane, so I get my greatest enjoyments out of building the airplanes that I could not otherwise own.

Sorry to hear about your wife's difficulties. We will be pulling for her. I guess we belong to some dubious brotherhood.

Jim Fruit

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »
Jim,
I am the CD for the contest at Sugar Grove, (Midwest Regional Championships). I hope you can make it, we would love to see you and your beautiful airplane.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Jim Roselle

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 07:11:25 AM »
Jim,

Beautiful model! I am curious about the thinning and application of Behr house paint on a model.

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »
Jim,

Beautiful model! I am curious about the thinning and application of Behr house paint on a model.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim:

It is quite simple. Behr is water based, so I used a mixture of about 75 percent water and 25 percent isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol makes it dry faster. I started out spraying, but the thinned yellow color did not cover enough to satisfy me. So, I reduced the amount of moisture and just  brushed it on. I made a mistake and primed the model with grey. I should have used white. The brushing will produce some brush marks, depending upon the quality of the brush that you use. If one is spraying, an extremely light coat should be used before applying heavier coats. Either brushing or spraying, one simply only needs to experiment with the amount of moisture needed. Once I make that determination, I whip up a large container of the concoction. Each batch should be filtered before use. Clean up is a snap. Just wash with water.

Jim Fruit

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here