News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:50:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Authentic Scale Fw 190 F8 R1  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Hemi Steve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
My Authentic Scale Fw 190 F8 R1
« on: June 03, 2021, 06:11:16 AM »
All:

Here are a few pictures of my "Authentic Scale" Fw 190 F8 R1 model. It is 1:6.8. It is a replica of the plane in the NASM. Here is a link to a site that has a lot of pictures of the target plane "White 7".  https://www.ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-vliegtuigen-props/1485-walkaround-focke wulf-fw190  
I started this r/c to c/l conversion in January of 2020 and finished a couple of weeks ago.  I write a monthly column called "Some Assembly Required in a local newsletter and I documented the entire process of preparing the model. Here is a link to the January 2020.  http://www.skymasters.org/index.php?page=newsletters&year=2020&issue=01  The newsletter index for the remainder of the articles is:    http://www.skymasters.org/index.php?page=newsletters   My "Nats project" started with the idea to prepare 4 models: 1. A 1/4 scale Brown B-2 racer "Miss Los Angeles, for Fun Scale,  2. A 1:7 P-39Q "Tarawa Boom-Deay" for Team Scale. 3. an ME-262 EDF for fun Scale and 4. The Fw 190 for Authentic Scale.  I never got to the ME-262 but the others are done.  The spring weather has not been favorable for practice flying so we focused on Missy and White7.  Missy flies great....White 7 not so much.  Last week I damaged her (long story)  and though the damage is not severe I'm not going to be able to fly her until next week.  There's not enough practice time remaining. So my team and I have decided to stay home this year.  It was a tough call but the main purpose of the project was to fly in Authentic Scale and since that's not going to happen, the travel, food and lodging expense for all of us didn't make sense just to fly Missy in Fun scale this year.   And so it goes....

Steve

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: My Authentic Scale Fw 190 F8 R1
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:40:00 AM »
Oh wow, I'm disappointed, I was looking forward to judging it this year!  I love all scale, but especially authentic.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 08:22:24 AM »
Hi Will
You can't be as disappointed as I am.  It's been a huge effort.....all heat but no light (so far)

I'm stating a new 60" ws project that will be a purpose built Authentic  Scale control line model.  It'll keep me out of the pool halls for a long time.

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 11:38:59 AM »
It is disappointing that people will not get to see your plane in person.  I've known several people that thought the NATS was not worth the effort and expense.  But, my self when I first read about the NATS as a teenage farm kid I wanted to go.  When I attended my first NATS in 1964 at Grand Prairie Texas at the Naval Base I was blown away with the work hanger,  the barracks, the mess hall and most of all the people.  When my son was old enough we went to the NATS and he did not miss too many.  My body now keeps me from going as I don't think any one would travel and share a room with an old grouchy old man who is up half the night.  The wife did attend a few NATS with me to watch my son compete, but she didn't like the all day times in the sun.  Then she used the kids as an excuse for not going.  But I am glad I did get to go with all the memories and friendships. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 12:08:23 PM »
Doc:
I'm with you on the memories.  In 1962 I belonged to an rc club in suburban Chicago and a bunch of us went to the Nats at NAS Glenview.  What an experience.  Because it was so close we went several days and saw amazing models and met some pretty amazing people. Ever since then I have had Nats aspirations. It's only later in life that I ever thought I could actually compete.  I'm at that point now and there is an open check box that needs to be checked.

Steve

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 06:41:48 PM »
Absolutely beautiful.  Except for the bombs.  LL~ LL~ LL~  Back in 1961, my first General Quarters station on board the USS Lexington, CVA 16, was in the forward 500 pound bomb magazine, where three of us inserted the nose fuze, tail fuze if required, and the tail fins. I was amazed at how rough, dirty and rusty those bombs were.  H^^ LL~
Ty Marcucci

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 05:49:09 AM »
Hi Ty,
In researching the ground attack versions of the Fw 190 I found period pictures of the bombs.  You are exactly right about the condition of the bombs in the field. Dirty, rusty, floor mop paint jobs etc.  The 1:1 White 7 is a museum piece and the bombs are also.  In its original configuration as an A4 variant r/c model I had weathered it to match one of the very few pictures of Yellow 4.  I didn't think there was any way I could scrape together a good documentation package for Authentic Scale competition. That's why I redid the model to match the restored plane in the NASM.  All of the pictures are of that exact plane in exactly the same pristine condition .... including the bombs LOL. 

Steve

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »
Hi Steve. I have seen such in several museums and understand why yours is as is. Not a complaint, I just wondered how many civilians actually knew what a real bomb looked like. Surely not as shown in any museum. 

However, your model is a knockout, well done. I am envious, Never had the patience to do a really accurate scale model. 99% of mine were in the rubber power genre, mainly Peanut Scale.    LL~ y1

Good luck at the Nats or any other meet you enter. H^^

Ty Marcucci

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »
Ty
I didn't take offense.  I'm always amazed what guys do with all sorts of models.  My experience and skills are in one kind of model and I gotta tell you if I tried to build a nice scale rubber model it would look like the ones I tried to build MANY years ago.. not so good.

BTW, I made two cruises in '70 and'71 working on the flight deck on Saratoga and a little time on America  as  a Plane Captain with RVAH-9 (flying RA5C Vigilantes).  Not many bombs...mostly missiles and they were immaculate when they were hung on the pylons. The vigilantes were unarmed but could carry 1 nuclear weapon in their attack configuration.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 02:31:08 PM »
Absolutely beautiful.  Except for the bombs.  LL~ LL~ LL~  Back in 1961, my first General Quarters station on board the USS Lexington, CVA 16, was in the forward 500 pound bomb magazine, where three of us inserted the nose fuze, tail fuze if required, and the tail fins. I was amazed at how rough, dirty and rusty those bombs were.  H^^ LL~
By 1968 we had run out of the WWII/Korea surplus and most of the M82 & M84's were a smooth olive drab green.  Still got some grungy M117's but we didn't see them much.  I still think the entire point of bombing the monkeys was to get rid of all of those old bombs so that they could buy new ones.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Hemi Steve

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 05:45:16 PM »
Ken
I was an east coast sailor so most planes  were loaded with  AGM ASHM and AAM types. Those were the days eh?

Steve

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 06:17:13 PM »
By 1968 we had run out of the WWII/Korea surplus and most of the M82 & M84's were a smooth olive drab green.  Still got some grungy M117's but we didn't see them much.  I still think the entire point of bombing the monkeys was to get rid of all of those old bombs so that they could buy new ones.

ken

Bombing the monkeys?
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 10:54:10 PM »
Bombing the monkeys?
It is almost one of those "you had to be there" things.  Our squadron would fly somewhere around 30 sorties per day with a typical load of 6 500 pounders and 4 CBU's each.  That is about 180 big bombs and 80,000 cluster bombs a day from just our squadron dumped through the canopy over "the trail".  Part of what we had to do as weapons ground crew was to watch strike films.  Not very many secondary explosions but lots of flattened trees and dead monkeys.  Sorry  I brought that up.

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 10:52:49 PM »

If they were older pattern high drag ordinance, Id suspect that they were rusty because they were left over from a big scrap that ended 16 years earlier.  Or possibly they were "new" stuff from the smaller scrap that ended 8 years previous to your service.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 04:53:04 PM »

I have been in Squadrons where the MNX Troops PAINTED our Mk82's to look pretty during Gunsmoke competition!  LOL  Because you HAVE to look good to be good!

I sure dropped a LOT of MK82's..  both live and inert..
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here