News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Michael's new Sport Scaler  (Read 958 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Michael's new Sport Scaler
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:54 AM »
Here is Michael at it again. This time it is a slightly re-engineered Sterling Mr. Mulligan.

He has a Magnum 25 R/C in the motor mount crutch and it'll have a JRoberts 3 line bellcrank.

Here he is cutting out some sheeting and showing us his handywork with the top all roughed out. We enlarged the Paul R. Matt drawings for the shapes (and they are WAY off in the kit).

Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Re: Michael's new Sport Scaler
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:35:49 AM »
Here Michael squares up his formers after he drew a real centerline and made real 90 degree former locations on the keel (the Sterling print was just horribly off anything square, I pity all of the kids that built these without supervision).

Soon he'll be finishing the fuse top and installing the engine crutch.

Until then...

Chris...

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
Hi, Chris!
Michael's got a great start on an old favorite...and he's overcome the worst weak point of that kit: the bulkhead shapes & placements!
  As you mentioned the re-draw per Paul Matt's drawings, did you print out any duplicates?
I'd love to purchase photocopies of a set, for my Mulligan. Please advise as to cost and postage?
  I'm in Northern Calif., just down the left side of the coast, to 95301!
  Thanks in advance...
Mike in Atwater

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:13:26 PM »
Hi Mike,

We enlarged the 1/48th drawings in the Matt Collection book 4X for the tail and wingtip shapes.

The kit cowling is too small in radius and too rounded in front so we are using the Sterling Waco SRE unit. We plan to adjust the forward fuse contours as the cowling is mounted, bespoke. The blocks for the cowling accessory section and tailcone will be optimized. The fuse formers I didn't change because I actually wanted him to finish it!

So the formers and fuse shapes are the kit parts, sorry.

I started working on a new fuse at one time as he was trying to get on the Junior F4B Team, but that was a bust so I stopped work on that project!

I got the Paul Matt book from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. I don't remember how much it was, but 20.00 comes to mind. It is Volume 2 with the Hughes Racer, Laird Solution, Laird-Turner Meteor, and Howard Mr. Mulligan, Ike, Mike and Pete as well as a bunch of other stuff.

Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »
Hi Chris,

I went to Aircraft Spruce website, but cannot find the book(s).  What is the TITLE? ;D

Thanks
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
Hi Bill,
Paul Matt Scale Dwgs vol II, P/n 13-00643, LOC 05CB W24
Staight from the label.
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »
Hi Bill,
Paul Matt Scale Dwgs vol II, P/n 13-00643, LOC 05CB W24
Staight from the label.
Chris...

Thanks, Chris! 
I'll check the site again. ;D

I didn't mean to leave Michael out!  He's really coming along with his scale work.  How about his CLPA abilities??  He may take up the slack (for his generation) of Al's and Ron's work! y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 05:58:08 PM »
Hi Bill,
He likes to fly Stunt, but he is just coming along so I am being nice and slow with his instruction.
We don't get to fly much so the inverted flight is a bit behind. Like so many kids, he doesn't want to do anything "scary" until he does it, and then he wants to do it himself, so I'm hoping to get a surge of interest this spring. I think sticking ARF's instead of homebuilt models is an asset, too. He doesn't like crashing, but he recovers quickly.

He is a lot like his brother and sister with a long attention span and a desire to make it just right, so he has the potential to build like those guys (she built and flew a little, but just to appease me and fit in with the guys).

I was just thinking of the giant Wyvern model with the Whitely style retracts, reading about Serge's gyro electric motor controller and thinking of the contra-prop electric motors that are available; heck with all of that stuff, these kids will be able to do what we only dreamed about!

Chris...

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:40:29 PM »
Here are some more pics of Michael's Mr. Mulligan progress. We spent two days on it, totalling about 10 hours.

He strung all of the stringers on the bottom after cinching up the gear. Then it is turned upright and the top formers and side windows are installed. The kit parts were too small, so the Matt drawings were used to make new side window parts.

The engine was roughed in, and the engine location used to fit the cowling. it is from the Sterling Waco as the more blunt shape captures the Mr. Mulligan better.

The wing was posed on top for the pics, and order made for a 1/12th Wasp and pilot from Williams Bros. Afriend is to optimise the kit decals for Michael.

He's getting there!

Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 07:14:54 AM »
It's a fabulous!  A young'un and model airplanes......... ain't too much better to do!

Wish him the very best.  He is showing a LOT of potential! y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
Michael had his visit this month and glued and fabricated. It didn't look like much but he has made enough progress that it'll be planking time next month. The engine, cowling and tank are all finalized, the bellcrank mount and other stuff are in position, so it's time to close 'er up. No pics this time, except these.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here